R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
Sep 8, 2019 at 6:33 PM Post #346 of 4,410
Google translate of the link in the tweet for the r8 says 4th generation? Makes it sound like 4g just means it's the 4th "Gen" .i doubt it has 4g cellular as Joe said hiby wasn't looking into the phone market, but I'll be happy to Be wrong. If not 4th Gen, 4gb of ram for a new flagship makes sense. I'm guessing hiby wants to make this better than the r6 pro? It should be very interesting. If it's not too expensive, I'd be happy to say hiby has the most compelling top down lineup for those who need open android.
MAybe can use a sim card for streaming music? Without WIFI

Sep 8, 2019 at 6:45 PM Post #347 of 4,410
Sep 8, 2019 at 6:48 PM Post #348 of 4,410
I don’t know about, nor can I guess about, the performance differences in the SoCs... maybe you can share links that you have to the benchmark values scored by both of these SoCs so that we can all be on the same page about which components are better?

Components, though, are hardly all that matters. The M11 seems like a dream DAP... However for me and the apps I like to use (e.g. UAPP) it is hobbled by a pretty significant lack of Play Store support. My guess is that the R8 will continue HiBy’s support for Play Store which would give it many more points - for my use model - than any component benefit the M11 might have in the SOC... but, like I asked, let’s look at the component benchmarks before we even give the M11 the nod on that.

Going by perfomance of the dx220 with android 8 that rockchip is overburdened. I got rid of the dx220 because I didn't like the UI choppiness compared to m11.

R5 is smoother and faster also, so that put me off the dx160 of course, I mean using the same soc with the same os.

Sep 8, 2019 at 7:08 PM Post #350 of 4,410
MAybe can use a sim card for streaming music? Without WIFI
I looked at the picture in the new link. It says 4g.on the hiby r8 in this link. It's got 4g capability .. Wow. .. This is crazy.... .I can't believe they did it.

005A6RXTgy1g6rveu65coj33402c0u0y.jpg

You can clearly see 4g wireless connection in the top right of the .... Whatever you call this? Dap? Phone? Audiophile all in one life hub? Hiby just super elevated the game. I think you might have actually just straight up won.

And Joe thought this wasn't coming.... Hiby is wild.

To think I wouldn't see this for years, this escalated quickly.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2019 at 11:56 PM Post #352 of 4,410
I don’t know about, nor can I guess about, the performance differences in the SoCs... maybe you can share links that you have to the benchmark values scored by both of these SoCs so that we can all be on the same page about which components are better?

Components, though, are hardly all that matters. The M11 seems like a dream DAP... However for me and the apps I like to use (e.g. UAPP) it is hobbled by a pretty significant lack of Play Store support. My guess is that the R8 will continue HiBy’s support for Play Store which would give it many more points - for my use model - than any component benefit the M11 might have in the SOC... but, like I asked, let’s look at the component benchmarks before we even give the M11 the nod on that.
Just Google the socs?
It will give you benches.
Like I said, I prefer the hiby for the reasons you listed. But if someone just wants the stock player, I would be doing the world a disservice not sharing my knowledge of the SoC, and giving the nod to the m11.
I get that you love audio, but you need to learn the basics of an soc if you're going to be spending so much money on phones, daps, etc. That all use these processors.
But beyond that, I went into the actual soc cores themselves to demonstrate the m11 superiority.
Ignore the benchmark, for now as you also need some understanding of the SoC. Lots of benchmarks are theoretical and will give the nod to things you can't use real world. The SoC, It's made up of cores who's basis is designed by arm. The SoC in the m11 used two strong arm cores with 4 weak ones. The SoC in the snapdragon 625 uses 8 of the weak ones. Applications usually use 2 cores, maybe 4 tops. The rest are for background tasks. So the m11 feels so good because of the two strong cortex A73 cores. That's why I said that if we had a slightly newer snapdragon, that had those same cores, in the same configuration the m11 Exynos does it would be perfect.

Now the benches
m11-2.jpg

Fiio m11
hiby-r6.jpg

Hiby r6 expect less on r5 due to less ram.but similar performance

If you look up snapdragon 625 devices or use notebook checks average score, it's 60k.
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Qualcomm-Snapdragon-625-SoC-Benchmarks-and-Specs.175991.0.html

The faster cortex a72/cortex 53 big little combo the m11 uses from Samsung, the snapdragon version 636 is still slightly slower benchmark wise, but at that point I don't care. The configuration is good(the same between both chips ) the performance will.similar.

I don't care what you use. I just want people to know what's in what they use. So that people like Ibasso don't get rewarded for selling a crap soc, when you can get hiby with a great soc and the playstore or m11 without it but very very good soc. I would never in my life buy the m11. Doesn't mean I shouldn't let people know it's a good device. I have no brand loyalty at all. Last I checked these companies don't pay my bills. So I tell my fellow humans the objective truth. If they want to be on a particular company bandwagon because it makes them feel good that's their choice. I've specifically told fiio they are losing sales by not fixing the playstore and adding hiby dta to their products. It's mind boggling to me fiio would not join that train. Especially after Shanling just did? Just seems like they have their head in the sand.
If you could use apple as your transport the ipod touch+fiio q5s with the airplay lossless, that's a crazy combo too. But I'm moving away from iTunes since you can't use it with flac and the only app that syncs between pc and mobile with flac and meta data play count support that I can find so far is mediamonkey. If plex has this feature maybe I can get it into an open source version of it.

Sep 9, 2019 at 12:50 AM Post #353 of 4,410
Touche!

Sep 9, 2019 at 1:45 AM Post #355 of 4,410
Mine finally came !! Posting this through the r5, will update with review soon, so far very pleased, except of the heat
How hot does it get? Did you have to do some kind of fw update?

Sep 9, 2019 at 2:10 AM Post #357 of 4,410
How hot does it get? Did you have to do some kind of fw update?

Running the mdr z7m2 on low gain at 70 volume I’d say it got around 26 to 28 degrees Celsius ( pure estimation assuming my hand normal temp is 37.t and ambient is 20)

Yes updated the google services but not a proper firmware yet

Also bit disappointed the EQ is only on the native hiby music app and doesn’t work with tidal (unless I’m missing something and there is a way to do this)

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2019 at 4:31 AM Post #359 of 4,410
Running the mdr z7m2 on low gain at 70 volume I’d say it got around 26 to 28 degrees Celsius ( pure estimation assuming my hand normal temp is 37.t and ambient is 20)

Yes updated the google services but not a proper firmware yet

Also bit disappointed the EQ is only on the native hiby music app and doesn’t work with tidal (unless I’m missing something and there is a way to do this)
You were missing something if you thought the app would now work system wide. It's still the same app.

That would be a whole other level. But the es100 essentially does this, so it is possible. @HiByMusic something to consider. @Joe Bloggs system wide eq under your apps. You could make it specific for your devices only. A selling point to differentiate yourself from your partners. Something to think about!

Sep 9, 2019 at 4:36 AM Post #360 of 4,410
Could I use a cipher cable on this through the usb c? I have an LCD-i4 and not having system wide EQ would be a pain in the butt since it requires eq to sound normal. I don't use EQ much otherwise.

You were missing something if you thought the app would now work system wide. It's still the same app.

That would be a whole other level. But the es100 essentially does this, so it is possible. @HiByMusic something to consider. @Joe Bloggs system wide eq under your apps. You could make it specific for your devices only. A selling point to differentiate yourself from your partners. Something to think about!

Yes! If phones can do this, why not DAPs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back