R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
Sep 8, 2019 at 8:38 AM Post #333 of 4,418
Has anyone tried to compare theSQ of r5 with fiio q5s? Im considering these for my next purchase

I compared it with the q5s and the am3d module and they where very close, the am3d might of a a slightly bigger stage and was a bit smoother.

I preffered the r5 to the q5s with the stock am3e module the bass was tighter and it was clearer like am3d. Both sound excellent, do you want a bluetooth amp that can stack with interchangable
modules or an all in one compact unit?

Sep 8, 2019 at 10:12 AM Post #336 of 4,418
Yes there is a slight delay in the album art popping in, but it scrolls fast and pops in fairly quick. There is some blank ones in my case, but there is no art for them and they're not tagged properly. You can get album art loaded from hiby amp- just haven't messed with it.

Here is a crappy vid I just made, hopefully you can tell.

Hey thanks for the video. No mistaking it, definitely faster/snappier UI on this compared M9. This alone makes me interested

Sep 8, 2019 at 11:34 AM Post #338 of 4,418
@Joe Bloggs - question for you, and hopefully not too far off topic. Has, or could HiBy consider an Apple Watch app to go along with the iPhone app? It wouldn't have to be much, just playback controls and maybe volume. It would be great to control things on a linked device from my wrist. Thanks!

Sep 8, 2019 at 12:20 PM Post #339 of 4,418
Sounds divine

20190908_121852.jpg
20190908_121757.jpg

Sep 8, 2019 at 6:21 PM Post #341 of 4,418
M6 is on the table, but $100 for what exactly? I have no preferences in DAC, ATM since I've been out of the game for too long. Is there a clear advantage to the AK?

I'd put DX160 firmly in the post position if iBasso hadn't gimped it with a Rockchip AND a high res screen. That thing is never going to be in sleep mode and will eat battery like I drink coffee- nonstop.
Exactly why DX160 isn't in the running. That's truly it in my opinion for the Shanling. It's the wheel. According to specs, which you should never really trust, the hiby has a beefier amp section output wise. But distortion, quietness of signal, etc. We won't know so I'll roll the dice on the cheaper r5, and return it to Amazon if I dislike.
HiBy must be busy... Maybe someone that reads Chinese tell us what this says about the "R8" ? Probably bigger and ndmore expensive than the R5 for sure ! Android 9, Snapdragon 625, 4G(Phone??)
I like the size of the R5 for travel and when out and about.

006KWzx5gy1g6qqp7h8o8j30u01hc4ix.jpg
Just as.i say the m11 has the fastest soc. I literally was just going to ask hiby if you guys intended in using a faster, newer soc to complete the experience, and add battery life, and we get a 14 nm, 8 core, decent.battery life processor (this was used by the budget Xiaomi redmi series ).

Hiby clearly gets it. This still isn't as fast as the m11 but it's much closer. I didn't realize the m11 uses my favorite style of soc (like the iPhone soc, a hexacore with 2 very strong cores(stronger than 625) and 4 background cores(the strength of the 625 cores ) .

The snapdragon 630 would be on par with the m11. I never realized just how good that soc was. Since it doesn't have dta tech, never bothered to look.

Just my thought, the m11 design processor from snapdragon would the 630 or better. I wouldn't pay more for 8 cores because it's not a multi tasking device. Ideally, if you can get a hexacore, 2 big(cortex A73 in the m11 seems to do fantastic so after that point it's most likely diminishing returns ) + 4 little, new manufacturing process (14 nm or smaller).

Good. Work though, excited to see more. Don't forget about trying to add usb wireless streaming in USB pc dac mode.

Sep 8, 2019 at 6:28 PM Post #342 of 4,418
If we're talking feature requests, streaming passthrough for Spotify, Tidal, Play Music, etc. to the Hiby Misic app would be killer.

Sep 8, 2019 at 6:30 PM Post #343 of 4,418
Google translate of the link in the tweet for the r8 says 4th generation? Makes it sound like 4g just means it's the 4th "Gen" .i doubt it has 4g cellular as Joe said hiby wasn't looking into the phone market, but I'll be happy to Be wrong. If not 4th Gen, 4gb of ram for a new flagship makes sense. I'm guessing hiby wants to make this better than the r6 pro? It should be very interesting. If it's not too expensive, I'd be happy to say hiby has the most compelling top down lineup for those who need open android.

Sep 8, 2019 at 6:32 PM Post #344 of 4,418
Exactly why DX160 isn't in the running. That's truly it in my opinion for the Shanling. It's the wheel. According to specs, which you should never really trust, the hiby has a beefier amp section output wise. But distortion, quietness of signal, etc. We won't know so I'll roll the dice on the cheaper r5, and return it to Amazon if I dislike.

Just as.i say the m11 has the fastest soc. I literally was just going to ask hiby if you guys intended in using a faster, newer soc to complete the experience, and add battery life, and we get a 14 nm, 8 core, decent.battery life processor (this was used by the budget Xiaomi redmi series ).

Hiby clearly gets it. This still isn't as fast as the m11 but it's much closer. I didn't realize the m11 uses my favorite style of soc (like the iPhone soc, a hexacore with 2 very strong cores(stronger than 625) and 4 background cores(the strength of the 625 cores ) .

The snapdragon 630 would be on par with the m11. I never realized just how good that soc was. Since it doesn't have dta tech, never bothered to look.

Just my thought, the m11 design processor from snapdragon would the 630 or better. I wouldn't pay more for 8 cores because it's not a multi tasking device. Ideally, if you can get a hexacore, 2 big(cortex A73 in the m11 seems to do fantastic so after that point it's most likely diminishing returns ) + 4 little, new manufacturing process (14 nm or smaller).

Good. Work though, excited to see more. Don't forget about trying to add usb wireless streaming in USB pc dac mode.
I don’t know about, nor can I guess about, the performance differences in the SoCs... maybe you can share links that you have to the benchmark values scored by both of these SoCs so that we can all be on the same page about which components are better?

Components, though, are hardly all that matters. The M11 seems like a dream DAP... However for me and the apps I like to use (e.g. UAPP) it is hobbled by a pretty significant lack of Play Store support. My guess is that the R8 will continue HiBy’s support for Play Store which would give it many more points - for my use model - than any component benefit the M11 might have in the SOC... but, like I asked, let’s look at the component benchmarks before we even give the M11 the nod on that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back