R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
Nov 29, 2020 at 7:24 PM Post #3,421 of 4,410
No they ship worldwide, it's the official hiby ali express store. I will say r6 pro treble is a bit more rolled off than r5. I just saw r5 on ebay for 455.00, yikes.
The stock is held in the Russian Fed. I tried but they ship from Russia to Russia at that price.

Nov 30, 2020 at 1:02 PM Post #3,423 of 4,410
waitin’ on impressions ...

Probably tomorrow, I made a mistake thinking ups ground was 2 day, because it says 2 day above it- but it's ground so it will sit till tomorrow, even though it was already as close as 2 hours to me.

Now it's back to easton pa :frowning2:. If I would have used free shipping - usps, I probably would have had it today. This will be from memory sadly but I will compare it to the Sparrow balanced out which is one of the best portable sources I've heard.

Must add, MusicTeck just refunded my shipping costs because of the misunderstanding. I take in information very fast and jump to conclusions almost instantly. So I didn't bother to read the ups ground under the 2 day delivery. My mind has already concluded it was ups 2nd day service.
I'm one of those annoying people that will finish people's responses for them. I'm quite hyper thought wise, although I have gotten better with age.

Anyways I can't ever say enough good things about Andrew and MusicTeck. They truly understand how to treat customers. Even picky ones like me.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2020 at 2:55 PM Post #3,425 of 4,410
Probably tomorrow, I made a mistake thinking ups ground was 2 day, because it says 2 day above it- but it's ground so it will sit till tomorrow, even though it was already as close as 2 hours to me.

Now it's back to easton pa :frowning2:. If I would have used free shipping - usps, I probably would have had it today. This will be from memory sadly but I will compare it to the Sparrow balanced out which is one of the best portable sources I've heard.

Must add, MusicTeck just refunded my shipping costs because of the misunderstanding. I take in information very fast and jump to conclusions almost instantly. So I didn't bother to read the ups ground under the 2 day delivery. My mind has already concluded it was ups 2nd day service.
I'm one of those annoying people that will finish people's responses for them. I'm quite hyper thought wise, although I have gotten better with age.

Anyways I can't ever say enough good things about Andrew and MusicTeck. They truly understand how to treat customers. Even picky ones like me.

Glad to read about your overall great experience with Andrew. He is quite responsive, better than anyone else I’ve dealt with in head-fi.

Nov 30, 2020 at 3:22 PM Post #3,427 of 4,410
Yeah, Andrew is cool. Bought the R5 and a Cayin N5II from him. In fact those are my only two DAP units that I own. I went through a big clean up in the last few months.

I got my R5 from him as well, and I just splurged on a qdc VX. He carries many attractive brands.

What I’m most interested in is whether the R5S improves on some of the quirks with the R5. Looking forward to your impressions ...

Nov 30, 2020 at 4:01 PM Post #3,428 of 4,410

I think we're a lot alike. Annoying at times!😀

Nov 30, 2020 at 4:04 PM Post #3,429 of 4,410
I got my R5 from him as well, and I just splurged on a qdc VX. He carries many attractive brands.

What I’m most interested in is whether the R5S improves on some of the quirks with the R5. Looking forward to your impressions ...

Especially the spotty wifi. I love the R5, but the wifi drops out unless I'm in the same room with my router (Asus RT-AC86).

Nov 30, 2020 at 4:51 PM Post #3,430 of 4,410
Especially the spotty wifi. I love the R5, but the wifi drops out unless I'm in the same room with my router (Asus RT-AC86).
I've had similar issues w/ wifi but it seems to depend on the type of file I'm streaming-24/96 Qobuz files seem to stutter and stop far more frequently than 16/44 files. I have a Orbi mesh system and even when I'm in the room next to the main router module it will cut out-very strange.

Nov 30, 2020 at 5:18 PM Post #3,431 of 4,410
I have no insight as to what is planned for the new R5 Saber. But for upgrades in general I would look to better hifi reliability and range; and more CPU horsepower in general. I think many of my issues that I have with Amazon audio are CPU / processor being "bound" by the CPU. Also I would want Android 11 in my next unit so I can use it with Android Auto.

Nov 30, 2020 at 11:28 PM Post #3,432 of 4,410
Keep coming back to R5 with increased appreciation of its sound quality. I would like it to be larger, bigger screen. UAPP is just too squeezed on its small screen. I’m pinning my hopes on R6 2020, that sounds at least as good or at least isn’t a substantial departure in an entirely different sonic direction. There’s a nice defined quality to instruments on R5, especially piano (compared to N3pro). It’s especially likely that Bluetooth reliability will improve with new R6.

Nov 30, 2020 at 11:43 PM Post #3,433 of 4,410
I have no insight as to what is planned for the new R5 Saber. But for upgrades in general I would look to better hifi reliability and range; and more CPU horsepower in general. I think many of my issues that I have with Amazon audio are CPU / processor being "bound" by the CPU. Also I would want Android 11 in my next unit so I can use it with Android Auto.

I emailed Hiby a couple weeks ago to ask about the R5 Saber. It is using the same components as the original R5, except for one thing. The R5 has the OPA1612 opamps, and the R5 Saber has OPA1642 opamps. Also, they have tuned the R5 Saber to be brighter in sound signature. There is no other changes present in the R5 Saber. I own a few of each of these opamps, and I am familiar with their sound. The OPA1642 is brighter in its treble response compared to the OPA1612. The OPA1642 is also leaner and less extended in the bass, and has a slightly wider soundstage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back