R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
Nov 20, 2020 at 8:58 PM Post #3,392 of 4,410
So you're sending a source stored on the R5 to the K5 and then using a cable to the IEM? Theoretically?
A source stored on the R5? Not sure what you mean there but:
I sent content from the R5 (Via BT) to the Qudelix, just to see how well it worked, and whether there was any audible difference compared to using my phone as the BT source (didn't expect any, and there is none, even BT performance I.e. stability seems very similar).
And I was using wired iems in all cases, just shorter wires between the Qudelix/iems than the R5/iems.
This isn't how I normally use the Qudelix though. I usually just send from my phone.

This is not surprising the Qudelix is operating as DAC for both sources. Its not touching the R5's audio section it's just plain bluetooth encoding if the source and sending it. There is no reason why one BT transport would sound any different on one device to another to the same receiving device as long as they are all using the same codec.
You are correct, it is entirely unsurprising :rolling_eyes:.

Nov 21, 2020 at 10:11 AM Post #3,393 of 4,410
A source stored on the R5? Not sure what you mean there but:
I sent content from the R5 (Via BT) to the Qudelix, just to see how well it worked, and whether there was any audible difference compared to using my phone as the BT source (didn't expect any, and there is none, even BT performance I.e. stability seems very similar).
And I was using wired iems in all cases, just shorter wires between the Qudelix/iems than the R5/iems.
This isn't how I normally use the Qudelix though. I usually just send from my phone.

You are correct, it is entirely unsurprising :rolling_eyes:.
I'm thinking about getting a K5 so I don't have to carry the R5 when streaming Qobuz via UAPP>K5>wired IEM's from my phone. Just don't know how much resolution is lost beaming the BT to the K5.

Nov 21, 2020 at 3:19 PM Post #3,394 of 4,410
I'm thinking about getting a K5 so I don't have to carry the R5 when streaming Qobuz via UAPP>K5>wired IEM's from my phone. Just don't know how much resolution is lost beaming the BT to the K5.
Next to nothing is lost with the latest, well-optimized codecs - also Qudelix cleverly tuned the 5K for superlative detail retrieval, so in comparison with mellower wired sources it can actually sound even more incisive and high-res.

Nov 21, 2020 at 3:24 PM Post #3,395 of 4,410
Next to nothing is lost with the latest, well-optimized codecs - also Qudelix cleverly tuned the 5K for superlative detail retrieval, so in comparison with mellower wired sources it can actually sound even more incisive and high-res.
Thanks for the reply. Hass anyone also heard the Sparrow? I think it's about the same price?

Nov 21, 2020 at 6:23 PM Post #3,396 of 4,410
Thanks for the reply. Hass anyone also heard the Sparrow? I think it's about the same price?
The Sparrow is twice the price of the Qudelix, at least in the US. I tried it and the sound is glorious and more easy on the ears than the Qudelix, which itself is very good. But I am having an issue with the balanced output not quite fitting my (standard) headphone plug, disconnecting the left channel at the slightest movement. It’s half the weight of the Qudelix, but doesn’t have its own volume control so you’ll have to fiddle with your phone to change the volume. Qudelix has a button for that, although there is another button on the other side of the device that’s way too easy to press at the same time. Qudelix also has a really great equalizer and of course Bluetooth, which the Sparrow doesn’t have.

Another similar dongle to consider is Lottoo S1.

Nov 21, 2020 at 6:30 PM Post #3,397 of 4,410
The Sparrow is twice the price of the Qudelix, at least in the US. I tried it and the sound is glorious and more easy on the ears than the Qudelix, which itself is very good. But I am having an issue with the balanced output not quite fitting my (standard) headphone plug, disconnecting the left channel at the slightest movement. It’s half the weight of the Qudelix, but doesn’t have its own volume control so you’ll have to fiddle with your phone to change the volume. Qudelix has a button for that, although there is another button on the other side of the device that’s way too easy to press at the same time. Qudelix also has a really great equalizer and of course Bluetooth, which the Sparrow doesn’t have.

Another similar dongle to consider is Lottoo S1.

P.S. Also, there is some electromagnetic interference on the Sparrow. I didn’t notice any on the Qudelix.

Nov 21, 2020 at 7:48 PM Post #3,399 of 4,410
P.S. Also, there is some electromagnetic interference on the Sparrow. I didn’t notice any on the Qudelix.
And I don’t have it but there are many reports of bad EMI on the Lotoo S1 too.

Nov 22, 2020 at 3:40 AM Post #3,401 of 4,410
Just thought you guys might want to know that I will be on air at HiByMusic's Aliexpress store this time tomorrow (0am-1am PST) to celebrate the start of Black Friday specials there. :) Would love to see some of our regulars pop in to say hi :)

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Nov 22, 2020 at 4:02 AM Post #3,402 of 4,410
Just thought you guys might want to know that I will be on air at HiByMusic's Aliexpress store this time tomorrow (0am-1am PST) to celebrate the start of Black Friday specials there. :) Would love to see some of our regulars pop in to say hi :)
What time is that in GMT Joe? Love the HiBy shop.

Nov 22, 2020 at 4:06 AM Post #3,403 of 4,410
Thanks will try. Anyone else have any feedback about the original R5 vs the R5 Saber? I'm wondering if it's worth upgrading. I do like the idea a more detailed, brighter sound in the same R5 package...

The R5 Saber is not an upgrade. It is just a brighter sounding tuning, along with less bass extension and impact. If you want a brighter sound, it should be right up your alley.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back