R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
Nov 17, 2020 at 4:40 PM Post #3,347 of 4,410
Roon does not work bitperfect on Android as it uses Android system audio.
Roon works, but without bit-perfect, the sound is good, and it is easy to use, for going around the home, it also lets me listen to all my library. But I prefer the sound of the Poly-Mojo, although it is heavier to carry around, and you need another device to control it, so I use the Poly-Mojo on my desktop, and the R5 when I move around home

Nov 17, 2020 at 7:52 PM Post #3,352 of 4,410
I sent an email to Hiby to ask about the R5 Saber. They stated that the DAP will use the same CS43198 DAC chips as the R5. The only difference is the change in opamp from the OPA1612 in the R5 to the OPA1642 in the R5 Saber. The R5 Saber also has a brighter sound tuning.

Nov 17, 2020 at 7:58 PM Post #3,353 of 4,410
They are trying to use the name Saber to profit from the name Sabre as in the DACs we all enjoy. Cheap trick. Sad really that they can't think of something original. Well they got our attention...will they get our money?
Not sure why people think ESS chips are superior to AKM, Cirrus Logic, etc.

Nov 17, 2020 at 8:03 PM Post #3,355 of 4,410
I sent an email to Hiby to ask about the R5 Saber. They stated that the DAP will use the same CS43198 DAC chips as the R5. The only difference is the change in opamp from the OPA1612 in the R5 to the OPA1642 in the R5 Saber. The R5 Saber also has a brighter sound tuning.
I wonder what the difference is between these 2 op amps? I've heard of people "op amp rolling" so there must be differences.

Nov 17, 2020 at 8:08 PM Post #3,357 of 4,410
I have done much opamp rolling in my time. I have about 30 different opamps here, which includes the OPA1612 and OPA1642. The OPA1642 is brighter in the treble than the OPA1612. The 1642 has less bass as well, but has improvements in soundstage width.

Edit: I should have added a couple more thoughts. The OPA1642 is similiar in sound, but slightly inferior to the LME49860NA, which is an excellent opamp. The LME49860NA has a tighter and deeper bass response, as well as better imaging and instrument definition.

If a person is looking for an R5 with a bit less bass, a slightly wider soundstage, and a brighter treble response, then the R5 Saber will make a good choice. I think the original R5 sounds correct as it is.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2020 at 12:13 AM Post #3,358 of 4,410
Guys I need your advice.

The R5 Saber went on sale this morning (340€), while the original R5 is on a deep sale in the Ali store (245€) for a couple more days. I’d like a good, small DAP for use at home and on the go. I am selling my V30+, which doubled as my DAP. Sonically I enjoy it so much I rank it above a Mojo, and only a select few DAPs better it for me out of single-ended. The vanilla DX220 does it, but barely; I would pick the V30 over an N6ii any time (again, I’m talking out of SE). I am moving on because the phone part is getting a bit behind-the-curve. Also I am tentatively getting on board the balanced train.

I am super interested in @Q Mass ’s impressions of the R5 vs the Qudelix-5K, which is my only dac/amp for now when I’m not at my desk (I’m never at my desk). The 5K is great but the V30 sounds more vibrant and full.
I was looking at the Astell&Kern SR25, but it’s not doing much to justify the price tag; also at the Sony ZX507, but the EU version is hopelessly volume-capped and Sony’s answer to Android resampling is ugly.
I had actually pre-ordered the Cayin N3Pro, I’m pretty sure it would be right up my alley as it uses the exact same amplification typology as my desktop amp (tubes as preamp), but cancelled that as the lack of Android support means I’d just use it as a glorified 5K, and I’m trying to get an all-in-one solution.

I am not disturbed by the Saber naming scheme, @dharmasteve I imagine it came indeed from the fact the R3 Saber’s distinction is that it uses a Sabre chip, but I don’t think it’s a marketing ploy, as ESS DACs don’t seem inherently more reputable than Cirrus Logic or AKM chips - heck, I had a DAP with the infamous Sabre glare (probably faulty amping implementation in most cases), and it took the V30’s glorious SQ to bring me back on board. But while I view it as an innocent development, I’m not sure the Saber’s signature would please me better than the original’s.

I listen to a lot of metal, not all of it well mastered, and I tend to prefer an emotional, engaging source over an analytical one. I like forward tunings, as in my IMR iems, with visceral bass, no aggressive roll-off in the treble, and meaty mids.

Also the new op-amps don’t seem better than the original, reading through DIY forums they actually sound pretty interchangeable for most purposes. And while I like the leather case, I’m worried it adds more bulk than the plastic one and it definitely doesn’t justify the $100 price difference. I wonder whether the QC issues are taken care of on the Saber model however, @Joe Bloggs any news on that front?

Do you guys feel I’d enjoy the R5 and find it a nice upgrade over the 5K? Anything I should be aware of? I know the new R6 is coming out soon, but I’m not keen on spending huge bucks on Android DAPs these days as things move along too quickly and flagships are becoming flavor-of-the-month things, with no substantial OS updates (even the $1500 DAP from Shanling is stuck on Android 7!).

Nov 18, 2020 at 5:26 AM Post #3,360 of 4,410
Does the new R5 still have access to the google play store?
there will always be a version of everything (that runs android) that has play store (international) and one that won't (Chinese)

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back