R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
Nov 12, 2020 at 11:26 PM Post #3,318 of 4,410
I used my Samsung wall charger
charged overnight frequently or left charging even at 100%? the battery controller in r5 isn't as advanced as what mobile phone offers

Nov 13, 2020 at 9:03 PM Post #3,319 of 4,410
Bluetooth really does require line of sight and if you try to force the highest LDAC rate in developer settings it gets choppy sometimes. But it seems to be able to maintain the second highest rate fairly well.

Does anyone know whether there is a utility or a separate app to display the current LDAC rate? The unit sometimes reverts to the adaptive rate setting and it would be useful to know how much of the time it emits at what LDAC rate.

The only thing I know you can do is force the bit rate in the developer options.
If you find something let us know.

Nov 14, 2020 at 12:01 PM Post #3,321 of 4,410
Someone have an idea why i can connect my R3 to the Apple TV as receiver and NOT the R5 ?
The R5 when i try to connect show a Code but does nothing. I can see the R5 on the Apple TV but won't connect..... No problem with Iphone.
So anyone, connect as bluetooth receiver the R5 and watch some Youtube or Netfix.. There is a huge gap of latency... I bought the R5 because it was better... But as i see the R5 can't do everything as the R3 does.

Nov 14, 2020 at 3:28 PM Post #3,322 of 4,410
I used my Samsung wall charger

My first R5 have swollen battery and was replaced.

Now, I ONLY charge it via USB port connected to a PC or Powerbank with 2A output. Also, do not overcharge it.

Nov 14, 2020 at 8:41 PM Post #3,323 of 4,410
Someone have an idea why i can connect my R3 to the Apple TV as receiver and NOT the R5 ?
The R5 when i try to connect show a Code but does nothing. I can see the R5 on the Apple TV but won't connect..... No problem with Iphone.
The R5 is Android based and doesn't have AirPlay built in. The R3 does. I haven't found anything free/low cost on the app store to enable it. It's been a while since I looked, though.

Nov 14, 2020 at 8:51 PM Post #3,324 of 4,410
The R5 is Android based and doesn't have AirPlay built in. The R3 does. I haven't found anything free/low cost on the app store to enable it. It's been a while since I looked, though.
Oh !! Well i tough the R5 will be as the R3 plus an android base. Also, did you notice big latency on the R5 or mine have a problem ? This is pretty critical for me..

Nov 14, 2020 at 8:54 PM Post #3,325 of 4,410
Why is it that some R5s need to have the SD card removed to do the OTA and others don't? I've had to remove my SD card for every OTA update so far, and it's a real pain in the ass - peel it out of the TPU case, retrieve the pinhole tool from the original R5 box, pop out the SD card, do the update, put the SD card back in, try and clean all my fingerprints off the R5, clean all my fingerprints off the TPU case, and then try and get the r5 back into the case without leaving any fingerprints inside.

Surely there has to be a way to specify to the android system where to look for the update file - I've never had any other device, phone or DAP that's required removal of the SD card to do an update.

And while we're at it, can we have an option to swap the orientation of the ff and rev buttons on the side? As it stands now, the arrow on the 'play' button points in the opposite direction of what should be the 'fast forward' button. I understand that some (lots of?) people may like this way, but I'd prefer it the other way, and from an OCD point of view I'd like the play arrow to be pointing in the direction of play.

Nov 14, 2020 at 11:33 PM Post #3,326 of 4,410
Comparing my R3 Pro with my R5, there is no doubt that the R5 is definitely worth the extra money. I wish I had got this DAP to begin with, and had just skipped over the R3 Pro completely. The bass is tighter and better extended, the treble has more detail and resolution, imaging and instrument separation is superior, soundstage has better depth and layering. This R5 DAP just takes everything that the R3 Pro is capable of, and does it even better. The sound quality is just excellent.This unit is a ridiculous bang for the buck at the current 300 US sale price.

Nov 14, 2020 at 11:58 PM Post #3,327 of 4,410
Comparing my R3 Pro with my R5, there is no doubt that the R5 is definitely worth the extra money. I wish I had got this DAP to begin with, and had just skipped over the R3 Pro completely. The bass is tighter and better extended, the treble has more detail and resolution, imaging and instrument separation is superior, soundstage has better depth and layering. This R5 DAP just takes everything that the R3 Pro is capable of, and does it even better. The sound quality is just excellent.This unit is a ridiculous bang for the buck at the current 300 US sale price.

Agreed. ✌️

Nov 15, 2020 at 12:08 AM Post #3,328 of 4,410
So, I just finally ordered an R5 for $221 on 11.11.

Is anyone using the 4.4mm line out with an adapter to xlr cables? I see plenty of these cables on Amazon but would like to just use the line out to use the R5 as a balanced DAC to a THX amp. Just want to verify this works before dumping money into a thx amp with this use in mind.

Also, I'm used to the sabre DACs in the R6 Pro. When used as a DAC for line out, are EQ and MSEB settings still active like with the R6 and R6 Pro?

Nov 15, 2020 at 10:36 PM Post #3,329 of 4,410
Oh !! Well i tough the R5 will be as the R3 plus an android base. Also, did you notice big latency on the R5 or mine have a problem ? This is pretty critical for me..
I haven't noticed any latency unless I do something dumb and leave a bunch of programs running in the background. It's much zippier than the R3, which could be downright sluggish at times.

Nov 16, 2020 at 4:13 AM Post #3,330 of 4,410
on non optimized apps like the streaming apps, it can take a bit of time to run, but still tolerable since we are not in a hurry to load music anyways...

or do we? hmm...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back