R10 vs L3000
Apr 28, 2005 at 2:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

HugoFreire

500+ Head-Fier
Well, I know that only a few people owns or has actually A/B compared both headphones.
I've heard that the L3000's are sonically similar to the R10's, but which aspects of the sound are we talking about?

How do you compare them? What are the pros and cons of each 'phone?

Apr 28, 2005 at 4:13 PM Post #2 of 18
I think the L3000 and R10 are both great headphones. I'm not a huge fan of the Audio-Technica or Sony headphone lines but I really like those two cans. That said I prefer the R10 with nearly every genre of music (with the right amp it indeed flaunts its bass superiority; I will say that the L3000 features more bass quantity, but when amplified properly/synergly {yeah I created a word like strategery - deal with it} I prefer the R10 bass any day). Don't get me wrong, the L3000 is a terrific headphone and is definitely one of the best dynamic cans I've heard, but it lacks the somewhat intangible magic the R10 demonstrates. Is it that special R10 midrange (which even the Qualia lacks and only the HE90 matches/exceeds) or is it the detailed, intimate presentation? Perhaps it's the unique soundstage and undeniable resolution of the R10 that's so appealing? The L3000 certainly possesses may of these same characteristics and yet it still lacks that hard-to-identify quality that makes the R10 so d@mn good. I know ayt999 and wmcmanus each own both of these 'phones so I'm sure they can offer some wonderful insight.

Apr 28, 2005 at 7:41 PM Post #3 of 18
I must admit that I did fall for the leather smell and solid feel of the L3000. The pair I heard was not broken in and certainly didn't showcase the the magical quality of the R10. The R10 is a special headphone indeed, particularly when placed in a synergistic system that will let it show off its qualities.

Apr 28, 2005 at 8:53 PM Post #4 of 18
I'll bump this thread for some more opinions on these phones.
600smile.gif

Apr 28, 2005 at 9:57 PM Post #5 of 18
For me, it's pretty much exactly what NeilPeart said (except that I've never heard the Qualia 010's so I can't comment on that part). There is something intangilbe in terms of the R10 flavor that woos me unlike any other dynamic headphones do. The L3000's are extremely good headphones, excellent in fact, but I'll reach for the R10's 3 out of 4 times (but not 9 out of 10). It seems like we've discussed this before.

Apr 28, 2005 at 10:11 PM Post #6 of 18
hey, I'm back from class (and typing up long responses to the SDS-XLR thread).
biggrin.gif
so as the only person here with two ATH-L3000's (don't ask how that happened.
wink.gif
) and an MDR-R10 (smokey, agile_one and Wmcmanus only has one of each) I guess I'll chime in.

the L3000 retains what I guess can be called an audio-technica house sound, and sounds pretty different from the R10. the soundstage is smaller on the L3000 due to the closer proximity of the drivers to the ears... and the speed and details are better on the R10. audio-technica headphones in general are not known for super high detail... while the R10 is still one of the best in regards to this (only the HE90 and Qualia, especially balanced, are better IIRC... they are right behind me so I can compare them right now. heh).

the L3000 is a pretty warm-sounding headphone, while the R10 so far has been more pristine and relatively uncolored (as long as we are not comparing them to the Qualia's at least... then they become pretty colored). the sound of the L3000 is pretty balanced with the bass response being much more improved than the W2002 (which I think is decent, but not really as good as the L3000) and some problems in the mid and high range that existed in the W2002 corrected. the R10 is a bit bass deficient (and I have the newer kind, which supposedly has more bass than the older R10's) but not too bad, and I probably have even more of a bias against it since I really like my bass. without the right amplification the R10 might sound a bit thin? the L3000 has a very full sound in almost every setup, and the slam / dynamics are very nice.

I had the drivers on my L3000 replaced this winter due to a small defect I heard with the originals, and there is a definite difference between a fully burned-in unit and a new one. the new drivers had a sound that is less rounded and harsher, I guess it isn't too refined at that stage. after burn-in it is a lot smoother and much better to listen to.

someone's been borrowing my L3000 for a few weeks now so I haven't listened to them in a while thus I cannot elaborate too much on them, but I hope this gives a pretty general overview of their sounds. before, I liked the L3000 a lot more than the R10, but now that might have changed... although it probably is more like me liking them to the same degree. also, the R10 is pretty bright, at least to me and when compared to the L3000, so that also factors into my preference for the L3000.

Apr 28, 2005 at 10:19 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
It seems like we've discussed this before.

yes, there have been.
tongue.gif

for example, this:
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=89039

I think there are other threads like that, but I haven't had much to post about recently so I like threads like this.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 29, 2005 at 1:42 AM Post #8 of 18
Wow, I feel so honored to receive replies from such experienced people!
Thanks so much
580smile.gif

BTW, what do you use to drive the L3000's? Which amp works well with the L3000's beside the DHA3000?

Thanks a lot,
Hugo

Apr 29, 2005 at 1:50 AM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by ayt999
yes, there have been.
tongue.gif

for example, this:
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=89039

I think there are other threads like that, but I haven't had much to post about recently so I like threads like this.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for the link, Alex! I'll check it now.

And sorry for asking something that has already been discussed
frown.gif

Thanks again,
Hugo

Apr 29, 2005 at 2:19 AM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

It seems like we've discussed this before.

Quotes himself and shudders in shame...
redface.gif

I didn't mean to be so pissy about it. I was in a rush trying to do some other things when I posted that remark earlier today. But really, NeilPeart said everyhting that I'd have to say. The L3000's could easily be a "final stop" pair of headphones, but for me at least, the R10's are more seductive. It's only by making that sort of direct comparison that you would think that anything is "missing" in the L3000's. Yet, I know that others prefer the L3000's over the R10's (Alex, I think does) so it's more a matter of taste than black and white differences.

Apr 29, 2005 at 2:46 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by HugoFreire
Wow, I feel so honored to receive replies from such experienced people!
Thanks so much
580smile.gif

BTW, what do you use to drive the L3000's? Which amp works well with the L3000's beside the DHA3000?

Thanks a lot,
Hugo

AT-HA2002

Apr 29, 2005 at 3:15 AM Post #12 of 18
I've read the topic that Alex has provided, and the "Woodheads" seems to be far superior to the "Leatherheads" for most of the people who has heard both
biggrin.gif

Well, I think I'll be patient and keep saving money for trying to grab a pair of the Woodheads!
tongue.gif

Apr 29, 2005 at 3:41 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Quotes himself and shudders in shame...
redface.gif

I actually like this thread since it's something that I can respond to.
tongue.gif
I have no clue what's going on when it comes to most of the other headphone threads... maybe I should venture into cheaper headphones?

besides, I'm sure a lot of us have had more experience with the headphones since that thread so can offer better comparisons and suggestions.
smily_headphones1.gif
Quote:

The L3000's could easily be a "final stop" pair of headphones....

why didn't anyone tell me this when I first came here with "only" ATH-L3000's, ATH-W2002's, and ATH-W11JPN's?
tongue.gif

Apr 29, 2005 at 9:26 AM Post #14 of 18
Well, I've used the L-3000's with my HP-4, carlo modded Sugden Headmaster and my upgraded Gilmore V2-SE, it's excellent with all of them. I'm not sure the stock VS-SE would be a great combo, I didn't care for the W2002 with it but I haven't tried the combination of L-3000 and V2-SE. The L-3000 seems to mate pretty well with a variety of equipment, it's not like the W2002 which is a tough headphone to setup a system around.

Apr 29, 2005 at 2:14 PM Post #15 of 18
I've had R10's and L3000's for a year and a half, and love both of them.

The biggest way I would contrast them is by saying that R10's are a first impression headphone, and L3000's are not.

Here's what I mean ...

The first listening experience one has with R10's, given a good recording, source, and amp, will usually evoke a Wow! response. Hearing that enormous soundstage, incredible detail, and overwhelmingly musical presentation for the first time is an experience that remains with most of us. Part of the magic of R10's is that the Wow! experience keeps repeating itself with every listening session. R10 world is a special place that one can return to time and again, and be rewarded with pleasure and joy.

On first listen to L3000's, again assuming good recording, source, and amplification, most will respond with, "these are very nice, but not amazing." I know I did, and even questioned buying them. L3000's are a more subtle experience that take time to fully appreciate (at least for this unsophisticated listener). I recall that I did not care for coffee or scotch the first time I tasted them, too
wink.gif
As time went by, and both cans broke in, the L3000's blossomed into an exquisite flower. I would find myself listening to a piece with the L3000's and sudddenly feeling, "wow, these are incredibly good." I've come to appreciate the L3000's every bit as much as the R10's. In many ways, they are more balanced and honest in their presentation. Where I used to reach for the R10's 80% of the time, it is now evenly split. There has been more than one occaision where I've felt the L3000 is the better headphone.

I realize that this discussion is light on actual description and analytical examples, but I think one's emotional response to what our equipment brings to us is every bit as valuable in evaluating the gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back