R10 connecting cord
Jul 11, 2003 at 8:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Rob N

Headphoneus Supremus
I thought I post this in a separate thread.As I mentioned in my initial thoughts on these phones the cord is quite 'microphonic',more so than I would have expected from such a high cost item.When I am seated in my listening chair with the cord resting on my shirt if I move my head the rubbing of the cord on my shirt is easily heard in the earpieces.The AT2002 also have this annoyance.
The HP2 phones do not do this.

Jul 11, 2003 at 9:07 AM Post #2 of 14
Maybe its the wood of both headphones
tongue.gif

Jul 11, 2003 at 10:45 AM Post #3 of 14
Not surprised by this, I've always thought that the weakest part of all these high-end phones is the stock cord. Last year when I discovered that Cardas made a remplacement cable for HD600, I said to myself "thanks god he made it !!". It is why I will never put that much $$ into a phones if I cannot change the stock cord.

Sorry Rob that doesn't help you ( maybe try to see if someone ever change the stock cable on Sony phones) but this is a statement that I would like to share.

Jul 11, 2003 at 12:59 PM Post #4 of 14
Hmmm... the cord on my 2002's is not the least bit microphonic. I don't recall that being an obvious side-effect when I audtioned the R10's either. I don't think its a 'woodie' thing. And I own Ety's, and had the Clou Red cable for my old Sennheisers too, so I know what that is like.

Maybe your bones are more conductive than most
wink.gif
?

Jul 11, 2003 at 1:13 PM Post #5 of 14
Hi Rob,

The cord for the R10 doesn't get tangled and doesn't get stuck to things.

It is, however, microphonic and irritates the hell out of me when I'm listening to it and move my arm or whatever.

Just pretend you're a statue :wink:

--Jatinder

Jul 11, 2003 at 1:15 PM Post #6 of 14
Perhaps I'm not explaining myself properly.If you put on either the W2002 or the R10 without connecting them to anything and touch or rub the cord you can hear this in the earpieces,the sound is mechanically transmitted to the earpieces.Now the HP2 cord does do this but to a much smaller extent,its only really noticeable when you firmly tap the cord.

I did have a pair of HD600's and they didn't do this at all because the cord on them is detachable and not connected directly to the transducers

I shouldn't have used the word microphonic!!

Jul 11, 2003 at 1:20 PM Post #7 of 14
Hi jatinder

I thought for a moment it was just my pair that did it

I would have thought they could have eliminated it or at least reduced it to say the level of the HP2 which is the best of all the phones I have (better than the RS1)

Jul 11, 2003 at 1:27 PM Post #8 of 14
Hmm...doesn't it say in the manual that they have tried to eliminate any mechanical noise from entering the phones.

Jul 11, 2003 at 2:37 PM Post #9 of 14
Wait, so are you saying this problem doesn't show up if the headphones are connected? If so, is this really a problem worth worrying about?
confused.gif

Jul 11, 2003 at 2:43 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by dhwilkin
Wait, so are you saying this problem doesn't show up if the headphones are connected? If so, is this really a problem worth worrying about?
confused.gif

No, he's saying that the problem shows up whether the headphone is connected or not, indicating a mechanical rather than an electrical issue.

Mine shows the same behavior, but not during normal listening. I have to do something deliberate to hear it. Touch the cord, and vibration is transmitted to the earpiece.

The worst I heard was a Grado RS-1, where I did have to pretend I was a statue to listen. Grado repaired that headphone, and reduced the microphonics considerably.

Jul 11, 2003 at 4:25 PM Post #11 of 14
Maybe you could but something over the cable, something soft, maybe foam. Foam would reduce the mechanical hit to be transfered to the cable, if attached probely.

Jul 11, 2003 at 5:16 PM Post #12 of 14
I see the problem. You've obviously cut back on your clothing budget due to the purchase of your phones. Next time, avoid hopsack shirts and trousers on clearance
very_evil_smiley.gif

The simplest way to avoid excessive microphonics of course is to oil your whole body and sit with only your underpants
tongue.gif

Jul 11, 2003 at 6:52 PM Post #13 of 14
I usually just chill in my boxers when I'm listening to music cause putting on a t-shirt requires you to take your cans off first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back