R Samuels Tomahawk lost thumb screw
Jun 1, 2008 at 4:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

tunes

Headphoneus Supremus
I lost one of the rear panel thumb nuts on my Black Tomahawk. Is there a replacement available? Ray wants $18 for one set with shipping.

This seems exorbitant $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Any other solutions???

Jun 1, 2008 at 5:02 AM Post #2 of 9
Yikes! $18 for a set of screws? Even the fancy hex head ones run about 25 cents, max, at the local hardware place.

Could you post a picture of one of the other screws still there? Someone here should be able to ID it and point you to a reasonable one. Or if you need one that I've got sitting around, I'll drop it in an envelope to you.

You might want to poke around here:

McMaster-Carr

They've got pretty much everything.

Jun 1, 2008 at 5:32 AM Post #3 of 9
If i remember right, there was an older thread about the thumbscrews. And if I remember right, all the thumbscrews are of custom sizes, so no other thumbscrew would fit. Anyone mind clarifying this?

Jun 1, 2008 at 6:24 AM Post #4 of 9
Thats certainly on the expensive side.
But I remember Ray telling us that it involves some laboring, and hence they are not cheap.

They come as a long rod, of which he have to cut them up and machine one side to an angle. Then there are a couple of bucks for packaging and shipping...

Jun 1, 2008 at 8:58 AM Post #5 of 9
take it to the hardware store and see if you can get any to fit, if not.. looks like its the most you've ever paid for 1 gram of metal ever!

Jun 1, 2008 at 11:07 AM Post #7 of 9
Everything is custom made. That doesn't mean runs of millions or 100's of thousands but runs that are expensive. I once had a run of special isolation tips done for bases I used to make for Cary Audio. They were much more than the retail cost of other tips. I finally went with commercially available tips but I preferred the tips I had made. That is the cost of doing business.

Jun 1, 2008 at 1:34 PM Post #8 of 9
Don't bother running to the hardware store. I've been there and done that a year ago when I lost a thumbscrew for my Tomahawk. Just order the pair from Ray and be done with it. There isn't anything that will fit. The looking itself will drive you nuts- no pun intended. It has nothing to do with Ray being or not being a cool guy. The screws are custom made and you can't expect him to just give them away.

Jun 1, 2008 at 1:38 PM Post #9 of 9
Having one screw made can cost more than having 50 made.
Youre not just paying for a gram of metal.
Youre paying for the set up of the machine that makes the screw.
The screw doesnt cost much, but to have to take the machine out of the common setting and put propriotary fittings on it to make only one or two screws is alot of work to do for a small thing.

Its kind of like replacing a $5 part in a car, but you have to remove the engine to get to it.

The labor costs alot because in order to replace that $5 part, a days worth of labor to remove and replace the engine takes place.

Nobody will do that for only $10, ($5 for the part,, $5 labor).

Yes the situation stinks, but thats how it is, and Ray shouldnt have to eat the $18 because you lost your screw.

Thats why DIY amps are cheaper than Boutique amps.

Hammond cases are common and less expensive than custom extruded ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back