R.I.P. Dr. Fritz Sennheiser
May 25, 2010 at 8:20 AM Post #32 of 44
At least he got to try the HD800 before he checked out...

May 26, 2010 at 9:42 AM Post #33 of 44
It's sad to hear of the loss of such a pioneer in his field. I remember hearing my cousin's Senns sometime around '71 or '72. He had a pair of the very early open cans, with the wide pads. It was, to say the least, an ear-opening experience for an eleven-or-twelve-year-old kid.

Mr. Sennheiser was one of the last of a rapidly disappearing breed -- the genius entrepreneur/technologist whose products flowed directly from his vision. These days so many brands have absolutely nothing to do with the people or firms who originated them. A brand is simply a commodity to be exploited by grinning ad men and venal marketing twits, who don't understand their own products, and care only about how much revenue they can squeeze from the brand's reputation.

The Sennheiser name couldn't be farther from that sort of hollow, soulless marketing. The company is still 100 percent owned by -- wait for it-- the actual Sennheiser family. As Mr. Sennheiser's NYT obit relates,

Founded in 1945 in Wedemark with a staff of seven, Sennheiser now employs more than 2,100 people around the world. The company, which is wholly owned by the Sennheiser family, has manufacturing plants in Germany, Ireland and Albuquerque.
In 2008, Sennheiser recorded sales of about $500 million, according to its Web site.

I would call that doing well by doing good. May he rest in peace.

May 26, 2010 at 3:53 PM Post #38 of 44
R.I.P. Dr. Sennheiser. His legacy lives on through the power of music and audio!

May 26, 2010 at 4:14 PM Post #39 of 44
RIP Doc, may God have mercy on your soul. Thank you for starting such a legendary company or else i wouldn't be able to enjoy my beloved HD800's.

May 28, 2010 at 3:36 PM Post #41 of 44
RIP Dr. Fritz

http://www.avguide.com/article/professor-dr-fritz-sennheiser-dies?src=Playback

Users who are viewing this thread

Back