Quitting smoking anyone want to join me?
Jul 4, 2006 at 10:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

PinkFloyd

Headphoneus Supremus
Have been told that if I don't stop smoking I'll die quicker (usual story) so have some patches to try out. Just wondering if anyone else would like to stop as well......... maybe we could do one of those online "group cessation" things where we all stop at the same time? I haven't set a date yet (the patches have an expiry date of 2009) but am ready to give it a go.

Jul 4, 2006 at 10:32 PM Post #2 of 34
I've never been a habitual smoker. And its always hard for me to resist the urge to make up a little rollie when i do have that urge for a little smoke. I try to keep my smoking to an absolute minimum, I like to enjoy tobacco for what it is, rather than simply it being a habit. Good luck to you in quitting, the reason that people say its hard is because it is. Take up something else to help with the cravings, buy a box of Chuppa Chups to suck on.

Jul 4, 2006 at 10:34 PM Post #3 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh
buy a box of Chuppa Chups to suck on.

After 30 years of smoking over 40 a day I think I'll need more than a "chuppa chup" to suck on
wink.gif

Jul 4, 2006 at 11:17 PM Post #5 of 34
Good luck, Pink. It's nice to see that you've decided to kick the habit. I know someone who died from lung cancer that spread to his liver because of smoking.

Jul 4, 2006 at 11:19 PM Post #6 of 34
I hope the best in your attempt. I will share my personal story.

I used to smoke 2 packs of chesterfield a day. On top of that I would have at least one Partagas Cigar after my evening meal and I would smoke my pipe at the end of the day. Oh my doctor, friends, and family nagged the hell so I would quit. Well I can tell you they were not successful.

Then one day I added up how much I was spending on smoking and I realized I had much better use for my money than blowing circles and burning holes on my clothing, car seats, furniture, etc. That was the last day I smoked.

I was saving a lot of money until I joined this place.
very_evil_smiley.gif
But in all honesty good luck and I hope you achieve your goal.

Jul 4, 2006 at 11:39 PM Post #7 of 34
Replace "IT" with some many things IS mandatory for success!

1. Know why you want to quit...
2. Read about these benefits for reinforcement!
3. Focus on the costs actually what you then can expend that on... 2packs per day X per year = $3000.00 What you might not otherwise buy like some hyper cans for instance...
4. You positively MUST do some form of exercise...Might I suggest, reading up on swimming!
5. And the patch or Wellbutrin SR type of pharma helpers to overcome the minds chemistry changes. Which again, exercise also helps with!
6. And as Duggeh suggests, a box of Chuppa Chups to suck on, toothpicks and or gum . to satisfy the oral habit thing for ya...

Worked for me, after 30 years of smoking...

Best of luck with it Pink Floyd!

Jul 5, 2006 at 12:50 AM Post #12 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
maybe we could do one of those online "group cessation" things where we all stop at the same time?

This may be in poor taste, but the first thing that popped into my mind when I read this was "online suicide pact".

Jul 5, 2006 at 1:31 AM Post #13 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by rsabo
This may be in poor taste, but the first thing that popped into my mind when I read this was "online suicide pact".

I wish Charlie best luck for success...;-}

Jul 5, 2006 at 2:55 AM Post #14 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
Have been told that if I don't stop smoking I'll die quicker (usual story) so have some patches to try out. Just wondering if anyone else would like to stop as well......... maybe we could do one of those online "group cessation" things where we all stop at the same time? I haven't set a date yet (the patches have an expiry date of 2009) but am ready to give it a go.

Interesting cuz starting tomorrow im done as well. We need a team name..either team I quit smoking or team charlie.

Jul 5, 2006 at 2:59 AM Post #15 of 34
I wish you every success, Pinkie. Even after a doctor told me last year he was certain I had terminal lung cancer (85% of all lung cancer patients die within a few years, IIRC), quitting was still a huge challenge. But I did quit cigarettes. Not nicorette, but cigarettes
wink.gif

You can too!

Oh, and BTW, the doctor's diagnosis turned out to be wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back