Quit Smoking
Sep 10, 2003 at 9:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

iGig

500+ Head-Fier
I designated September 11 as my quit day.
I am so sick of smoking !! yet I know this will be hard.
I got patches, carrots, celery and gum.
I also got some hypnosis tapes that I will listen for 30 days.
(Im hoping they're not loaded with subliminal messages that make me go buy machine guns)

Any quiters here have any advice??
Moderators: Sorry if Im cranky during hell week

*Chain smoking now*

... The sands of time, for me, are running low.....

Sep 10, 2003 at 9:49 PM Post #2 of 39
Wanting to quit is essential. Avoiding contexts where you normally smoked before is helpful. Machine guns are kinda fun . . .
biggrin.gif
Good luck.

Sep 10, 2003 at 10:54 PM Post #3 of 39
the only times i'm not smoking are when i get my running or some such workout in. as long as i'm taxing my lungs with working out i don't really think too much about smoking.

good luck.

Sep 10, 2003 at 11:24 PM Post #4 of 39
Smart choice igig. To concur with Old pa you must really want to quit. What really helped me was to develop a hatred for them(cigarettes) because of how they were affecting my health and my life in general.I began to realize what control cigarettes had over my life and how it affected those around me. They stink, they made me caugh(alot)
mad.gif
and inconvienienced others I was with because I just HAD to have a cigarette before going here or doing that etc... Just remembering that once I quit, should I start back, the whole vicious cycle would begin right where it left off and I was tired of it. Find the things about smoking that made you want to quit in the first place and focus on them when(and you will) want to light up. It gets easier as time goes on. Next month will be 2 years for me and I really don't want to go back to it.Don't plan to fall and you probably wont. It's when you give yourself an out that you'll lose the ground. So stay focused and hang in there. It is worth it!

Best of luck...
tongue.gif

Sep 10, 2003 at 11:32 PM Post #5 of 39
Both me and my roomate are quitting on Monday.

The problem is that my job is so stressful that I NEED a cigarette come break time.

Sep 10, 2003 at 11:33 PM Post #6 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by iGig
I designated September 11 as my quit day.
I am so sick of smoking !! yet I know this will be hard.
I got patches, carrots, celery and gum.
I also got some hypnosis tapes that I will listen for 30 days.
(Im hoping they're not loaded with subliminal messages that make me go buy machine guns)

Any quiters here have any advice??
Moderators: Sorry if Im cranky during hell week

*Chain smoking now*

... The sands of time, for me, are running low.....

If your ISP carries Usenet newsgroups, you might want to check out usenet, alt.support.stop-smoking

Sep 10, 2003 at 11:33 PM Post #7 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by Old Pa
Wanting to quit is essential. Avoiding contexts where you normally smoked before is helpful. Machine guns are kinda fun . . .
biggrin.gif
Good luck.

I agree

I have noticed that If you have chosen to quit and not the "I think I'll try quiting" is pretty essential. In other words a person who has decided not to smoke will not constantly be hounded with the voices telling you that you can't quit. You can simply tell yourself to shut up and off ya go. And start looking for the benefits and wins that you get. If you notice the good things that will imediately follow then it's easier to keep going. It is worth it, especialy if you were ever going through the crap I was.

I am also of the mind that If you can't then its no big deal. Life isn't about guilt on such trivial things or most other thing for that matter.
wink.gif

Good Luck friend,
B_D

Sep 10, 2003 at 11:39 PM Post #8 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by rally617
.Don't plan to fall and you probably wont. It's when you give yourself an out that you'll lose the ground. So stay focused and hang in there. It is worth it!

Best of luck...
tongue.gif

right on. No way out or you will get out. This is the biggy

Peace,
B_D

Sep 10, 2003 at 11:42 PM Post #9 of 39
Good luck to all those that are quitting.

I was lucky in a way, my parents were both heavy smokers and listening to them cough and feeling my eyes burn in the smoked filled room dissuaded me from ever trying it.

My Mother died from complications brought on by emphysema. If for no other reason think how hard it would be for your kids or family to stand there helpless while you slowly waste away.

Sep 11, 2003 at 12:35 AM Post #10 of 39
Ah thank you guys for the encouragment.
I quit a year ago (last september 11) and was succesful for 4 months, then one day I decided to have "1"...
Eight months later here I am again.
I am very ready and sick of it, so thats the good news.

HighwayStar, Ill check it out, thx.

Dohminator, I can relate to your need of smoking in stressing situations, but lately Ive been noticing that when I finish my cigarrete, the problem is still there !! So good luck to you and your roomie.

Thanks all.

Sep 11, 2003 at 3:08 AM Post #11 of 39
Quote:

then one day I decided to have "1"...
[/B]

It's always the "1" that snags you back. I quit for 6 months several years ago and yea, i had that "1".

The first time i quit it was actually cold turkey. Have no idea how that happened. I literally woke up one day and didn't smoke. For 6 months.

Well, i don't suggest chain smoking and then waking up and trying to quit. I think you should slowly smoke less and less cigs each week, of course allowing yourself an allotted number for when you are drinking, and using wacky tobacco. Use a cheap cigarette case, it let's you decide how many cigs to bring out with you. Never bum. Don't use nicotine gum, chewing tobacco, or any other vice to transfer over from smoking. And literally... KNOW you will quit.

don't try it tomorrow, all of a sudden. i don't think it will work. ****.. i'm supposed to be supportive here.

Sep 11, 2003 at 3:13 AM Post #12 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by Sentral Dogma
don't try it tomorrow, all of a sudden. i don't think it will work. ****.. i'm supposed to be supportive here.

Setting a "quit" date (and sticking to it) is very important.

Sep 11, 2003 at 5:40 AM Post #13 of 39
Quote:

Dohminator, I can relate to your need of smoking in stressing situations, but lately Ive been noticing that when I finish my cigarrete, the problem is still there !! So good luck to you and your roomie.

Thanks all.

There have been a lot of times recently that I have just wanted to walk out of my job, but after I went on break and smoked a cigarette, it made me feel so much better. To the point where I didn't feel that I couldn't take any more of it. The break was the big boost, but that cigarett helped too. If not for anything other than the conditioning. The conditioning is the hardest thing to break. It isn't the physical addiction that gets you in the end, it's the psychological addiction that'll get you.

I don't know if I have the right attitude right now to quit. I'm going to give it my all, and I'll have my roomate to help me out and to give me support.

I know one thing for certain, I will not be a smoker by the age of 30 (i'm only 20).

Sep 11, 2003 at 5:49 AM Post #14 of 39
lol Sentral Dogma.
I tried that cutting back stuff, but it just prolongs my agony.
As long as I dont go to bed, this day is not over and I'll smoke everything in sight. Wish I could smoke my avatar.
There's still some in the car, I feel kinda sick now, plus I didnt have dinner, just smokes and water.... ahhh so healthy.

I'll feel like crap tomorrow, lmao, Ill just patch myself repeatedly.
Ive heard people say quiting heroine is easier than cigarretes, how disgusting is that?
Ugh what a headache. You should see my ashtray.
ok, Im not making sense now, sorry you read all this.

Where's the FedEx guy with my phones???

Sep 11, 2003 at 5:55 AM Post #15 of 39
Quote:

I know one thing for certain, I will not be a smoker by the age of 30 (i'm only 20).

lol, you're giving yourself a HUGE margin for error !! 10 years!
I have tecnically 1 hour and 6 minutes to smoke. AARRRGGG.

Well, give it your best shot. Be strong and breathe !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back