Quiet Sempron machines?
Jan 22, 2006 at 12:14 PM Post #31 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikoLayer
For gaming, I would definitely go for the in thing now - opteron 146.

I got an Opteron 165 with a DFI mobo over Christmas. 'Haven't had the time to put it all together, but I'm excited at the prospect.

I've also heard that the 939 pin 146 & 148 are terrific overclockers on air. Very solid bargains.

Jan 22, 2006 at 2:11 PM Post #32 of 47
Quote:

Yeah I know, but A palermo at 2.5ghz falls somewhere between athlon 64 3400+ and 3600+ for gaming, if I didnt make myself clear. for palermo (or sempron for that matter) it would probably get a higher rating, but there is no such official CPU. near 3600+ is precisely what I mean by that, a near a64 3600+ speed (well, it is somewhat closer to 3400 in reality but whatever
smily_headphones1.gif
) Isnt everyone using/buying A64s by now? I thought giving a perspective in A64's terms would be most fitting
biggrin.gif
btw, I have upgraded from a mobile barton 2400+ running at 2.2ghz, so I am well aware of the performance gap across different platforms (or generations).

Doom3 probably isnt the best example of CPU bounded games though, when HL2 or UT is proven to be much more CPU denedent. For gaming, I would definitely go for the in thing now - opteron 146. The point is OP said no gaming, so any sempron is more than sufficient for his needs (a better choice than a 3700 which is neither the fastest, nor the most cost-effective)

EDIT : erk, got my numbers mixed up
smily_headphones1.gif

There is no such thing as a Athlon64 3600+. The 3700+ San Diego was rumoured to be called 3600+ about 18 months ago though.
I assume you mean 3500+? In that case, you're correct: http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu...on-2600_9.html

Jan 22, 2006 at 3:40 PM Post #33 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed
Was that directed at me? Well for one thing I'm glad I've got an overpowered machine, I didn't pay a lot for it, about $1200...and don't forget I live in the rip-off UK.
Another thing whether its overpowered or not is subjective, you haven't got a clue what I'll be using it for, apart from not wasting my time playing games, I'm 27. My current rig(2400+ AMD/768RAM) is always slowing down doing stuff and I'll be doing even more stuff now, because I can.

oh, sorry I didnt realize you already got that setup up and running. I was under impression that you needed advice for a new rig. I am not too far off age-wise, becoming 25 in just few months, but wasting my time away playing games of all sorts
wink.gif
Well, they say life is a game so whatever
biggrin.gif

Right, in case you are running something exotic, you may need something fast enough for that. My opinion was for "general use" as you havnt specified what you were using your machine for in your initial post. Dunno, maybe its the ram? I feel I could use some more ram with just 1gig on my main rig, altho I only got 15-17 processes running with all the services and other stuff tweaked up to minimize memory waste. Just taking a random guess again, I am sure you have a better idea of what performance level is deemed necessary for your work
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 22, 2006 at 4:16 PM Post #34 of 47
Quote:

Right, in case you are running something exotic, you may need something fast enough for that. My opinion was for "general use" as you havnt specified what you were using your machine for in your initial post. Dunno, maybe its the ram? I feel I could use some more ram with just 1gig on my main rig, altho I only got 15-17 processes running with all the services and other stuff tweaked up to minimize memory waste. Just taking a random guess again, I am sure you have a better idea of what performance level is deemed necessary for your work
smily_headphones1.gif

My main goal in choosing the specs of my PC was to get a lot of RAM. As I explained the 768MBs of this computer is not enough, I do suffer from a bit of slowdown. I didn't think 1GB was quite enough and I didn't realise about running it in dual-channel, a nice bonus. Am I right in thinking 1.5GBs wouldn't run in dual-channel?
Although I think the majority of the reason this one is slow is for other reasons too...

I have ordered it btw, should come tomorrow or Tuesday?

Jan 22, 2006 at 7:37 PM Post #35 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
I used to love Abit, have a KR7A-133R that is still running great after like 5 years, but they have gone downhill a lot lately, since Oscar Wu left for DFI in particular. Now they are on the brink of bankruptcy. I've heard so many nightmares about compatibility issues with their current crop of NF4 mobos it isn't even funny.

Even if it is only that much, I'd still say that's important. I mean I have a 3200+ clawhammer (SSE2, 1MB, single-channel) and also built a 3000+ venice box (SSE3, 512kB, dual channel, newer stepping). Obviously the latter has many adantages in its favor, other than cache. However, with mem timings equal, at the same clock speed, the clawhammer consistently wins benchmarks of all sorts. Considering that it is a processor about a year older than the one it is compared to, I think that is quite a boost that the cache gives it. Unless more cache is absolutely prohibitively expensive, I would also get a high-cache chip.

i didn't know the company struggles, but yes, i've also seen degredation in the newest products

Jan 22, 2006 at 7:40 PM Post #36 of 47
Quote:

Lol, actually it has 3 fans in the case. Well 2 intake and 1 exhaust. Apart from excessive noise, is too much cooling ever bad?

Its 2GBs of PC3200 RAM in dual-channel, I doubt I'll be concerned with the speed.

Theres a 3-year warranty on everything.
eggosmile.gif

Lol, value for money on head-fi! I know Crucial isn't a bad make and it wasn't 300% more expensive, £5 more than other 2GBs.

well, if you don't want advice, but would rather just have us pat your back telling you you've done good.....................................

Jan 22, 2006 at 7:42 PM Post #37 of 47
Quote:

No overclocking for me. Someone explain the concept?

Why overclock a system and put it under undue stress and have to get extra fans. In 6 months the speeds you've got from maxxed out components will be available from things built to go at that speed.
These specs would be a highly tricked out rig a few years back.

Lol, I bet even that GFX card was good in the early 90s!

why the cynacism? what is this pc for? it's clearly not a gaming rig. do you do heavy video editing? programming? many of your components are fine and good, but i am having a hard time wrapping my mind around what you actually want out of this computer?

Jan 22, 2006 at 7:43 PM Post #38 of 47
Quote:

No overclocking for me. Someone explain the concept?

Why overclock a system and put it under undue stress and have to get extra fans. In 6 months the speeds you've got from maxxed out components will be available from things built to go at that speed.
These specs would be a highly tricked out rig a few years back.

Lol, I bet even that GFX card was good in the early 90s!

ocforums.com

Jan 23, 2006 at 12:18 AM Post #40 of 47
Don't

Jan 23, 2006 at 12:19 AM Post #41 of 47
get

Jan 23, 2006 at 12:19 AM Post #42 of 47
your

Jan 23, 2006 at 12:20 AM Post #43 of 47
knickers

Jan 23, 2006 at 12:20 AM Post #44 of 47
in

Jan 23, 2006 at 12:21 AM Post #45 of 47