quiet pc: take two
Mar 27, 2006 at 4:23 PM Post #46 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by Leopold
I forgot the link. This is Antec Aria http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=15130

ohhhhh, i dig that. very nice little setup. course i imagine you might loose a bit of airflow going with microatx, but then again, with just one case fan, perhaps it would be better? i.e. with line of airflow over more components??

super cool; i dig micro: then again AGAIN, i guess these cases are made to be put ON your desk. personally i take issue with that idea in general with any pc, especially audiophile pc

Mar 27, 2006 at 4:29 PM Post #47 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky191
you still have to factor in the noise of HD's and the pump etc. Personally I haven't bothered with watercooling myself. A quiet air cool rig is sufficent for me.

yup, water cooling isn't an END ALL; no pc solution really is other than getting it as far away as possible
smily_headphones1.gif
i have an idea if i should move to colder climates to have a pc in a closed box outside, run a few cables through a wall. get some nice oc's when it's 10F outside
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 27, 2006 at 4:32 PM Post #48 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by uzziah
i have an idea if i should move to colder climates to have a pc in a closed box outside, run a few cables through a wall. get some nice oc's when it's 10F outside
smily_headphones1.gif

I tried that. Somehow the freezing temps killed one of my storage drives, but I was able to oc this 3.0 P4 to a little over 3.7
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 27, 2006 at 4:33 PM Post #49 of 82
Quote:

yup, water cooling isn't an END ALL; no pc solution really is other than getting it as far away as possible
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Bit of a pain for swapping DVD/CD's
icon10.gif

Mar 27, 2006 at 4:45 PM Post #50 of 82
Quote:

They are usually large and slow and thus quiet

yeah, but then my 120mm yate-loon at 5v was "too noisy" INSIDE the case
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 27, 2006 at 4:46 PM Post #51 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert
passive liquid cooling. no fan..no noise....

uh, i don't think so. pumps = noise; going submerged might help, but then again i've had a few aquariams
smily_headphones1.gif
and of course you'll still have your hdd

Mar 27, 2006 at 4:48 PM Post #52 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by Genetic
Hummmm.....I'm reading most the stuff wrote about this here and on other sites as the SPCR one and I'm wondering if there is meetings for people having built silent PC...LOL.

Now I'll have to consider putting the damn thing in a closet if I hear it.

Amicalement

it's a ****ing mental disease, i'm not kidding
eek.gif

there should be a PC-Noise- Paranoid-Users-Anonymous

PCNPUA

now that's just wrong......

ok, i'm done

Mar 27, 2006 at 7:57 PM Post #54 of 82
Here is a dirt-cheap, good one: Spire 120mm, model FD12025B1M3 (ball bearing), something like 90 cfm @ 12V which equals a minor hurricane. The mainboard chassis fan output regulates it to around 800 rpm in the winter, and up to 1200 rpm the hottest summer days when AC is off for some reason. Extremely silent.

PS. It is always a good idea to use rubber fan fasteners instead of screws.

Mar 27, 2006 at 8:12 PM Post #55 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by Leopold
You are right in your concern for NF4, a really hot chipset. However, it is possible to use Zalmans blue cooler if you have room for it (just barely comes clear of the graphics card) and you have something that blows a little over the fins. In my case I would have to add yet another large fan inside the case, blowing at the chipset. This is no big deal since those fans are practically noiseless when driven by 5 or 7 volts, or hooked onto the regulated chipset fan mainboard output.

Another alternative to VGA cooling and for blowing sufficiently at the Zalman chipset heatsink is to use the very good Zalman vga cooler (vf700 was it?), this is extremely quiet at low speed mode.

That's good advice. When I replaced the noisy chipset fan on my Asus A8N-SLI deluxe mobo with a passive heatsink (cooler master), I also switched out my video card's stock cooler with a Zalman Vf700. I had to snip off a few fins from the passive heatsink because of the vf700's size, but that was an easier job than swapping out the heatsink. I found the open design of the vf700 provided extra airflow over the chipset heatsink compared to the stock video cooler. The closeness of the chipset to the vf700--what I first thought was a huge flaw in the deluxe mobo's design--turned out to be a real advantage. The chipset and gpu both run much cooler and quieter.

Mar 28, 2006 at 12:24 AM Post #56 of 82
Quote:

Bit of a pain for swapping DVD/CD's
icon10.gif

I've got a firewire DVD-ROM drive on my desk, and the computer tucked away in the corner.

15 foot cable, which I think is 1 foot out of spec, but it's still speedy.

Has anyone here tried netbooting? I'd think a netbooted via epia or sempron with a huge passive cooler could make a reasonable media pc with no moving parts at all.

Should be easy with linux, but I'm having no end of trouble getting it to work with windows XP. (I get to the desktop, and then it bluescreens.)

Mar 28, 2006 at 1:44 AM Post #57 of 82
Quote:

Then its the wrong fan.

]

nope. don't get me wrong, it was extremely quiet, but any fan is still audible, and if you have two or four of them on an external resivator, even a 5v, even if they're nexus fans, they'll still make some noise

Mar 28, 2006 at 2:05 AM Post #58 of 82
Quote:

thinking i'll rebuild my pc; it's "quiet" by most standards now, but not enough. here's what i have now:

seasonic super silencer 300w
160gb seagate ide 7200rpm hdd
antec case (mid tower), rubber wasers on hdd (nice)
120mm antec case fan (turned down all the way with zalman fanmate)
masscool whisperock (" ") cpu cooler
athlon xp 3000
512mb kingston pc3200
chaintech 7njl6
emu 0404
liteon dvd/cdrw (irrelevant; just use for ripping)

thoughts:
1. fanless psu: suggestions? teh seasonic is actually not that quiet
2. hdd: 250gb samsung sata or ide with nidec motor
3. 120mm nexus exhaust (fanmate-ed)
4. good heatsink for socketA fits 80mm fan (suggestions?)
5. athlon xp mobile 2500 undervolted
6. 80mm nexus fan for heatsink
7. undervoltable soketA mobo

and that's about it. suggestions? changes?

my power requirements are minimal. the main thing i use my pc for is music, then just web surfing and productivity. pretty much anything will do.

Hmm, 80mm fans and quiet can not be used in the same sentence. Zalman makes very quiet power supplies, and for the rest, you should look into passive cooling for the chipset and video card. The CPU, all I can suggest is water cooling.

Mar 28, 2006 at 6:46 AM Post #59 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003
80mm fans and quiet can not be used in the same sentence

fully disagree. of course at 5v or 7v an 80mm fan will be quieter than a 120mm. the issue that you're probably trying to get at is that 120mm fans push more air for the amount of noise than 80's.

see spcr.com

80mm fans ARE quieter, but they push less air

Mar 29, 2006 at 4:02 AM Post #60 of 82
Quote:

thinking i'll rebuild my pc; it's "quiet" by most standards now, but not enough. here's what i have now:

seasonic super silencer 300w
160gb seagate ide 7200rpm hdd
antec case (mid tower), rubber wasers on hdd (nice)
120mm antec case fan (turned down all the way with zalman fanmate)
masscool whisperock (" ") cpu cooler
athlon xp 3000
512mb kingston pc3200
chaintech 7njl6
emu 0404
liteon dvd/cdrw (irrelevant; just use for ripping)

I like the psu

I would get samsung sata hdds. I trust that brand more than any other and I never hear mine. Sata cuts down on cable space. Ribon cables will work fine too but take a lot more effort but you seem the type that would be into it (more about this later). DON'T buy round cables they're a waste of money. Been there done that, trust me

I would get a globe 120mm fan or a nexus case fan. Both are top ratings and there is debate at SPCR as to which is better. The globe is cheaper

If I were you I would spend more money on a heatsink. Its near the noisiest component in a computer. The scyth ninja and thermalright XP-120 are both top of the line. Yes, they cost more but to me they're worth it. I have not heard my heatsink after I replaced with a xp-120

Everything else looks fine to me.

OK, now for the comment about the cables. When I was builing my first computer to be quiet and bought round cables to help with air flow, I couldn't see how ribbon cables could possiby help airflow. And I liked them for a while until I came across a somewhat labor intesive alternative that takes a little planning. !!Ribbon cables unlike round cables can be bent and routed along the walls a and sides of a case so that they don't inhibit airflow at all. It take a little planning and some effort but using only 90 and 45 degree bends you can, with some creativity, easily beat round cables for airflow.

Below is a post of my computers internals.
IMG_0933.jpg

The red and black ide cables are completely flate against the cd drives or the back wall of the case. I hope this helps some. If you have any other questions feel free to ask. Silent PC building is one of my other passions.
biggrin.gif

-Nick/Slep

edited for spelling mistakes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back