Quicksilver Audio Headphone Amplifier any opinions?
Dec 26, 2021 at 2:13 AM Post #346 of 1,017
I’m very interested in the QSHA but also been checking out the Woo WA6…roughly the same price point (although the WA6 doesn’t come with a power cable). I know this is a QS thread but what are your thoughts between the two? I’m a bit new to the head-if scene so trying to learn as much a possible.

I have LCD-2C and Grado RS1x cans and will be using a Schiit dac (hopefully the BiFrost2…maybe a Modius or even Modi Multibit depending on how I feel, and if I can find a BF2 in a deal).

Any help & opinions appreciated.
I had the WA6, sold it and now own the QS. The QS is more transparent, more precise, more dynamic and quite powerful. I don't think i will ever sell it.
The WA6 is more tubey, slightly darker, warmer, softer.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2021 at 2:19 AM Post #347 of 1,017
I’m very interested in the QSHA but also been checking out the Woo WA6…roughly the same price point (although the WA6 doesn’t come with a power cable). I know this is a QS thread but what are your thoughts between the two? I’m a bit new to the head-if scene so trying to learn as much a possible.

I have LCD-2C and Grado RS1x cans and will be using a Schiit dac (hopefully the BiFrost2…maybe a Modius or even Modi Multibit depending on how I feel, and if I can find a BF2 in a deal).

Heya Ryan - I wouldn't worry too much about the power cable - almost all electronics I've ever seen come with the same cheap generic power cord you could get for $20, if that much, on Amazon - many people into audio will ditch those cables right away and get a good quality 3rd party cable - almost any of them will be better than the stock power cord. I first used the Hugo 2, then the RME, as DAC's for my QS amp... That amp just sounds so creamy going into a pair of Utopias - great synergy between them, in my opinion...

Dec 26, 2021 at 2:09 PM Post #348 of 1,017
It would not surprise me if there is a wait; seems like it's that way for many small, hand-built (often by one person) amps. I ordered mine right from the QS website, but I've ordered other stuff from GC... Usually a store will give you an estimated date of arrival when you make the purchase; your's didn't have any info like that?
So I got a status update from them. I was told that Quicksilver is backordered on transformers from their supplier. No firm ETA on when they'll get it, but should be "sometime" in January. Sucks. Hope this info helps anyone else trying to order the headphone amp.

Dec 26, 2021 at 5:54 PM Post #349 of 1,017
I had the WA6, sold it and now own the QS. The QS is more transparent, more precise, more dynamic and quite powerful. I don't think i will ever sell it.
The WA6 is more tubey, slightly darker, warmer, softer.

Thank you for the info…I’m definitely leaning more towards the QS… I’m definitely treble sensitive and I’m drawn to smoother round tones. For example (that may or may not make sense) I’m a guitarist and I find that I live on the neck pickup…so you saying the WA6 is slightly darker, warmer and softer has my attention. I love my treble too but I like it a bit rounded off and a bit smoother. I think my LCD-2C and RS1x help cover a lot of sonic territory on how laid back or lively I want to get. I’m sure either the QSHA or WA6 will get me where I want to be…decisions decisions!

Heya Ryan - I wouldn't worry too much about the power cable - almost all electronics I've ever seen come with the same cheap generic power cord you could get for $20, if that much, on Amazon - many people into audio will ditch those cables right away and get a good quality 3rd party cable - almost any of them will be better than the stock power cord. I first used the Hugo 2, then the RME, as DAC's for my QS amp... That amp just sounds so creamy going into a pair of Utopias - great synergy between them, in my opinion...

Thank you…Yeah I would probably source a 3rd party mid-level power cable anyway, regardless of which choice I make. Dang, the RME is on my wish list but outta budget for now. Have to make room for the headphone amp 1st and some good book shelf speakers for the living room setup…then maybe I can save some pennies for a RME!

Dec 26, 2021 at 5:58 PM Post #350 of 1,017
Thank you for the info…I’m definitely leaning more towards the QS… I’m definitely treble sensitive and I’m drawn to smoother round tones. For example (that may or may not make sense) I’m a guitarist and I find that I live on the neck pickup…so you saying the WA6 is slightly darker, warmer and softer has my attention. I love my treble too but I like it a bit rounded off and a bit smoother. I think my LCD-2C and RS1x help cover a lot of sonic territory on how laid back or lively I want to get. I’m sure either the QSHA or WA6 will get me where I want to be…decisions decisions!

Thank you…Yeah I would probably source a 3rd party mid-level power cable anyway, regardless of which choice I make. Dang, the RME is on my wish list but outta budget for now. Have to make room for the headphone amp 1st and some good book shelf speakers for the living room setup…then maybe I can save some pennies for a RME!
Yeah the QS is very lively and dynamic, it can even be a little fatiguing on a very slammy headphone but I wouldn’t say it’s harsh. I find it more dynamic than my gsx mini so I like having both

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2021 at 10:26 PM Post #351 of 1,017
Intro

Having now lived with this amp for a bit of time and played around with different tubes, I think I'm now equipped to write up some more organized impressions of it. I don't have any other amp to compare it to at the moment, but I have fairly clear recollections of my SW51+, ZMF Pendant, Elekit Tu-8800, and 3F and how each of those sounded with Sennheisers. The former two will serve as the main points of comparison. To give a TLDR: I think this amp is a pretty good deal if you can deal with some of its idiosyncrasies. It definitely punches above its price-point: the other stuff I've heard at around the 1k point, like the used Bryston BHA-1, doesn't really compete, and it blows lower priced Schiit stuff like Lyr 3 and Valhalla 2 out of the water, as it should.

But it's certainly not perfect. I'm going to work through each band of the frequency response, dedicate a paragraph to technicalities like dynamics and staging/imaging, and then talk a bit about the overall way that the amp presents sound. Instead of having discrete paragraphs comparing the amp to other ones, I'm going to try to integrate comparisons throughout the entire review.

Chain: Roon via Pi2aes --> Bifrost 2 --> Quicksilver Amp with RCA 12ax7's and Mullard New Production EL84's.

Bass

Probably its weakest point in the FR. Although it extends deeper than something like the SW51+, it doesn't come close to UL designs like the Pendant and Elekit TU-8800. It tends to be fairly punchy, but it also lacks a good deal in texture, nuance, and detail. This was particularly apparent on tracks like Lou Reed's "Charley's Girl", where you can normally hear a very distinct clicking sound with the hit of the drum, but this is obscured on the Quicksilver. I'd say this isn't really a step up in bass texture and quality from something like the SW51+ - where it does do a bit better is in just the bass quantity it provides as well as the bass dynamics that it offers, which are solid but not astounding. Overall, the lack of -clarity- in the bass can lead to a somewhat muddy presentation, but thankfully there isn't too much of it, so it can mostly be ignored by those who are more interested in other elements of music.

Mid-range
The amp's strongest suit. There is a noticeable but not overwhelming amount of bloom in the lower-mids which contributes to a certain amount of tube romance, but upper-mids also feel very much present, giving nice edge and presence to vocals. In fact, the level of "wetness" in the mid-range is complemented by what seems like a slightly up-tilting FR into the upper-midrange, which contributes to a good sense of balance. Compared to the SW51+, the mid-range presentation sounds noticeably more lush and less lean, and images tend to have more flesh and dimensionality to them.

In conjunction with improvements in transient presentation and dynamics in the mid-range, this leads instruments and vocals to "pop" more and simply have more color and vivacity compared to something like the SW51+. The Pendant has a similar effect, but the overall presentation of the mid-range is quite different due to the Pendant's warmth and more hefty bottom end, which leads to a mid-range that has more fundamentals and less harmonics, making it a somewhat more relaxing but also less exciting listen.

The amp's mid-range is let down a bit by its lack of resolution. Although both the SW51+ and the Pendant lack the sense of excitement and engagement that comes from the Quicksilver's combination of bloom and quickness, they both tend to present the mid-range either more clearly (SW51+) or with more resolution (The Pendant). Perhaps an analogy will suffice here: although the Quicksilver paints with a broader color palette, the individual images of the colors are somewhat more hazy, leading each of them individually to have less fine gradations within them.

Something like the Elekit TU-8800 or 3F will blow the Quicksilver out of the water in their clarity and resolving capacities, but I've found both of these amps to lack the timbral realism of the Quicksilver. For lack of a better term, with both of these amps it has always sounded to me like there is an excessive smoothness and lack of "grit" in mid-range elements. The sound of the quicksilver is more "raw" and "unprocessed" - with the higher-end amps, I felt as if an additional filter had been placed on the sound which, while enhancing many aspects of it (technical and otherwise), rendered timbres a tad artificial. This can be heard particularly, I think, in transient presentation. Though something like the 3F offers faster and more controlled decay as well as more speedy attacks, transients nonetheless lack a certain level of "bite" and sharpness that comes through on the Quicksilver, which to me contributes to a more natural sound.

Treble

Good, but not great. Definitely colored. Seems to have a slight emphasis in the mid-treble particularly, followed by a depression in the upper octave. The SW51+ had more air and a more linear, less splashy treble. The equivalent costing DNA model, the Sonett 2, had much more treble detail and also much smoother, less fatiguing treble. By contrast, the treble of the Quicksilver is very quick, but it also tends to be somewhat rough sounding. The lack of air combined with the mid-treble splashiness can lead to a somewhat claustrophobic presentation here too.

Despite this, the actual timbre of treble instruments is pretty solid with something like the 650. Treble microdynamics in particular are really excellent, and though it certainly could offer more detail, the overall sense of rhythm and Prat in the treble leads to a sense of engagement and lends music a very boisterous energy. I prefer the treble of this amp to something like the SW51+, and think it trades blows with the ZMF Pendant. Both the 3F and TU-8800 easily best it.

Technicalities
Micro-dynamics are excellent, at the level of the ZMF Pendant but below amps like 3F or Elekit Tu-8800. That being said, it could fool one into thinking it was up there with these amps, because it tends to have a very "High-contrast", lively sound which tends to exaggerate differences between different instruments. As a result of this, along with the issues in both the bass and treble, the overall sound can be somewhat disjointed and lack cohesiveness, but oddly enough, I think this can contribute to a feeling of "bounciness" and micro-dynamic excitement. Yet when listening closely, it doesn't really resolve those very small microdynamic differences at the level of a TotL amp. Macrodynamics, meanwhile, are good, but not as good as micro-dynamics. They're much more evident in the mid-range and treble than in the bass, which tends to be a weak point. A step up from the SW51+ here, but doesn't quite reach the level of the Pendant. It doesn't really slam.

Let's talk about soundstage and imaging. This is where the amp impressed me most. I generally don't care about stage, but this amp's stage was definitely a strong point. I don't recall hearing any amp that made the HD650 have this deep of a stage and that threw as much space as it did between instruments while still retaining a solid center image. This was pretty damn impressive. That being said, imaging isn't fantastic - as I wrote earlier, instrument images can be a bit hazy and ill-defined, and though they have a very nifty dimensional effect which makes them sound more realistic, this still applies even with rolling in NOS tubes.

Resolution is, as I've already written, mediocre. Micro-detail in particular just seems to be smeared over by the amp, and when combined with the ill-defined images and the bloom in the lower-mids, this leads the amp to often sound just a bit hazy. This isn't a "Muddy" sound, though - the overall FR, is if anything, upsloping, so it is more akin to the haze of the Valhalla 2 than anything else (though not nearly that bad). The SW51+ honestly struck me as having more clarity, and perhaps a tad more resolve.

Overall Presentation
The Quicksilver is, despite all its problems, a really fun amp to listen to. It has a great sense of Prat, and its transient presentation in particular, which emphasizes biting but not overly sharp attacks with long but not uncontrolled decay, leads to a sound that keeps one on the edge of one's seat. It pairs absolutely fantastically with the HD650, giving its mid-range a sense of visceral immediacy that is often utterly captivating (Some might even call this -boxy-, and I have a preference for an elevated mid-range, so keep that in account).

Yes, it is not a perfect sounding amp, and in many respects, it might even be considered a flavor amp because of its deficiencies in the treble and bass. But for those for whom music lives in the mid-range, the Quicksilver offers more than a mere glimpse of the way TotL amp's present those crucial mid-range textures. Here, it offers a consistently exciting listen with a wonderful balance of crunch and body, and a quickness and rhythm that makes it all too easy to get lost in one's music.

Dec 26, 2021 at 11:10 PM Post #352 of 1,017
Intro

Having now lived with this amp for a bit of time and played around with different tubes, I think I'm now equipped to write up some more organized impressions of it. I don't have any other amp to compare it to at the moment, but I have fairly clear recollections of my SW51+, ZMF Pendant, Elekit Tu-8800, and 3F and how each of those sounded with Sennheisers. The former two will serve as the main points of comparison. To give a TLDR: I think this amp is a pretty good deal if you can deal with some of its idiosyncrasies. It definitely punches above its price-point: the other stuff I've heard at around the 1k point, like the used Bryston BHA-1, doesn't really compete, and it blows lower priced Schiit stuff like Lyr 3 and Valhalla 2 out of the water, as it should.

But it's certainly not perfect. I'm going to work through each band of the frequency response, dedicate a paragraph to technicalities like dynamics and staging/imaging, and then talk a bit about the overall way that the amp presents sound. Instead of having discrete paragraphs comparing the amp to other ones, I'm going to try to integrate comparisons throughout the entire review.

Chain: Roon via Pi2aes --> Bifrost 2 --> Quicksilver Amp with RCA 12ax7's and Mullard New Production EL84's.

Bass

Probably its weakest point in the FR. Although it extends deeper than something like the SW51+, it doesn't come close to UL designs like the Pendant and Elekit TU-8800. It tends to be fairly punchy, but it also lacks a good deal in texture, nuance, and detail. This was particularly apparent on tracks like Lou Reed's "Charley's Girl", where you can normally hear a very distinct clicking sound with the hit of the drum, but this is obscured on the Quicksilver. I'd say this isn't really a step up in bass texture and quality from something like the SW51+ - where it does do a bit better is in just the bass quantity it provides as well as the bass dynamics that it offers, which are solid but not astounding. Overall, the lack of -clarity- in the bass can lead to a somewhat muddy presentation, but thankfully there isn't too much of it, so it can mostly be ignored by those who are more interested in other elements of music.

Mid-range
The amp's strongest suit. There is a noticeable but not overwhelming amount of bloom in the lower-mids which contributes to a certain amount of tube romance, but upper-mids also feel very much present, giving nice edge and presence to vocals. In fact, the level of "wetness" in the mid-range is complemented by what seems like a slightly up-tilting FR into the upper-midrange, which contributes to a good sense of balance. Compared to the SW51+, the mid-range presentation sounds noticeably more lush and less lean, and images tend to have more flesh and dimensionality to them.

In conjunction with improvements in transient presentation and dynamics in the mid-range, this leads instruments and vocals to "pop" more and simply have more color and vivacity compared to something like the SW51+. The Pendant has a similar effect, but the overall presentation of the mid-range is quite different due to the Pendant's warmth and more hefty bottom end, which leads to a mid-range that has more fundamentals and less harmonics, making it a somewhat more relaxing but also less exciting listen.

The amp's mid-range is let down a bit by its lack of resolution. Although both the SW51+ and the Pendant lack the sense of excitement and engagement that comes from the Quicksilver's combination of bloom and quickness, they both tend to present the mid-range either more clearly (SW51+) or with more resolution (The Pendant). Perhaps an analogy will suffice here: although the Quicksilver paints with a broader color palette, the individual images of the colors are somewhat more hazy, leading each of them individually to have less fine gradations within them.

Something like the Elekit TU-8800 or 3F will blow the Quicksilver out of the water in their clarity and resolving capacities, but I've found both of these amps to lack the timbral realism of the Quicksilver. For lack of a better term, with both of these amps it has always sounded to me like there is an excessive smoothness and lack of "grit" in mid-range elements. The sound of the quicksilver is more "raw" and "unprocessed" - with the higher-end amps, I felt as if an additional filter had been placed on the sound which, while enhancing many aspects of it (technical and otherwise), rendered timbres a tad artificial. This can be heard particularly, I think, in transient presentation. Though something like the 3F offers faster and more controlled decay as well as more speedy attacks, transients nonetheless lack a certain level of "bite" and sharpness that comes through on the Quicksilver, which to me contributes to a more natural sound.

Treble

Good, but not great. Definitely colored. Seems to have a slight emphasis in the mid-treble particularly, followed by a depression in the upper octave. The SW51+ had more air and a more linear, less splashy treble. The equivalent costing DNA model, the Sonett 2, had much more treble detail and also much smoother, less fatiguing treble. By contrast, the treble of the Quicksilver is very quick, but it also tends to be somewhat rough sounding. The lack of air combined with the mid-treble splashiness can lead to a somewhat claustrophobic presentation here too.

Despite this, the actual timbre of treble instruments is pretty solid with something like the 650. Treble microdynamics in particular are really excellent, and though it certainly could offer more detail, the overall sense of rhythm and Prat in the treble leads to a sense of engagement and lends music a very boisterous energy. I prefer the treble of this amp to something like the SW51+, and think it trades blows with the ZMF Pendant. Both the 3F and TU-8800 easily best it.

Technicalities
Micro-dynamics are excellent, at the level of the ZMF Pendant but below amps like 3F or Elekit Tu-8800. That being said, it could fool one into thinking it was up there with these amps, because it tends to have a very "High-contrast", lively sound which tends to exaggerate differences between different instruments. As a result of this, along with the issues in both the bass and treble, the overall sound can be somewhat disjointed and lack cohesiveness, but oddly enough, I think this can contribute to a feeling of "bounciness" and micro-dynamic excitement. Yet when listening closely, it doesn't really resolve those very small microdynamic differences at the level of a TotL amp. Macrodynamics, meanwhile, are good, but not as good as micro-dynamics. They're much more evident in the mid-range and treble than in the bass, which tends to be a weak point. A step up from the SW51+ here, but doesn't quite reach the level of the Pendant. It doesn't really slam.

Let's talk about soundstage and imaging. This is where the amp impressed me most. I generally don't care about stage, but this amp's stage was definitely a strong point. I don't recall hearing any amp that made the HD650 have this deep of a stage and that threw as much space as it did between instruments while still retaining a solid center image. This was pretty damn impressive. That being said, imaging isn't fantastic - as I wrote earlier, instrument images can be a bit hazy and ill-defined, and though they have a very nifty dimensional effect which makes them sound more realistic, this still applies even with rolling in NOS tubes.

Resolution is, as I've already written, mediocre. Micro-detail in particular just seems to be smeared over by the amp, and when combined with the ill-defined images and the bloom in the lower-mids, this leads the amp to often sound just a bit hazy. This isn't a "Muddy" sound, though - the overall FR, is if anything, upsloping, so it is more akin to the haze of the Valhalla 2 than anything else (though not nearly that bad). The SW51+ honestly struck me as having more clarity, and perhaps a tad more resolve.

Overall Presentation
The Quicksilver is, despite all its problems, a really fun amp to listen to. It has a great sense of Prat, and its transient presentation in particular, which emphasizes biting but not overly sharp attacks with long but not uncontrolled decay, leads to a sound that keeps one on the edge of one's seat. It pairs absolutely fantastically with the HD650, giving its mid-range a sense of visceral immediacy that is often utterly captivating (Some might even call this -boxy-, and I have a preference for an elevated mid-range, so keep that in account).

Yes, it is not a perfect sounding amp, and in many respects, it might even be considered a flavor amp because of its deficiencies in the treble and bass. But for those for whom music lives in the mid-range, the Quicksilver offers more than a mere glimpse of the way TotL amp's present those crucial mid-range textures. Here, it offers a consistently exciting listen with a wonderful balance of crunch and body, and a quickness and rhythm that makes it all too easy to get lost in one's music.
Your description totally aligns with my experience. I have a GS-X mini and the QSHA is basically the perfect complement to it, with the large stage and lush mids (the GS-X has great mids too but the tube sound is unmatchable) at the expense of a bit of clarity and extension. I do find that it emphasizes the lower mid bass a bit compared to the mini as well.

Dec 26, 2021 at 11:29 PM Post #353 of 1,017
Intro

Bass

Mid-range

Treble

Technicalities

Overall Presentation

Really well-written review!!! I really enjoyed mine while I had it - it replaced a Lyr 3 and it was not in the same ballpark; It costs almost twice as much as the Lyr 3, but I think well worth it. When I replaced it with the Eddie Current, I saw what you meant about losing a bit of detail in various frequencies, but it's a third the price of the EC, so I'd expect that... Quicksilver + Utopia = very dreamy combination...

Dec 27, 2021 at 1:48 AM Post #354 of 1,017

Have the WA6+ (upgraded caps their option a few years ago). It “likes” the HD800S a lot. Beautiful timbre and texture, relaxed but not dark in my system, refined, agile, great spatial presentation.

The QS right away became my choice for LCD-3. Bold, iron grip, especially acoustic bass which the WA6 couldn’t match. But by “bold” I don’t mean forward or edgy. Everything in its place, alive and natural, maybe a monitor type of control with these cans.

Dante Ethernet fed Yggy for both.

Dec 27, 2021 at 11:18 AM Post #355 of 1,017
Have the WA6+ (upgraded caps their option a few years ago). It “likes” the HD800S a lot. Beautiful timbre and texture, relaxed but not dark in my system, refined, agile, great spatial presentation.

The QS right away became my choice for LCD-3. Bold, iron grip, especially acoustic bass which the WA6 couldn’t match. But by “bold” I don’t mean forward or edgy. Everything in its place, alive and natural, maybe a monitor type of control with these cans.

Dante Ethernet fed Yggy for both.

Thank you…the QSHA is definitely in the lead and is probably what I’ll go with as it sounds like my LCD-2C will love it…BUT…as $1000-ish is a lot of cheddar for anything I have to ask the devil’s advocate question(s) (as I’m still in the absorbing info/research portion of this fun hobby/addiction!…remember I’m just asking from a head-fi point of view regarding the online contrarian info I’ve come across in my reading. (“remember, everything you read on the internet isn’t true.” - Socrates)…so don’t shoot the messenger!

Ok…with my low impedance (RS1x - 38 Ohm, LCD-2C - 70 Ohm)…do I even need a headphone amp if my main source is going to be streaming lossless/hi-res via Apple Music through a iPhone or iPad?? “

What’s the response to the people who say “No!”

Pure volume amplification-wise if I run my RS1x through an Apple dongle into my iPhone I have the volume at about 80% to max…I can max it out but it’s a tad uncomfortable. LCD-2C I don’t have the ability to connect but I imagine those would need 90% or maybe even 100% max volume for my listening levels.

So does a HA (especially a tube HA) impart a favorable audio enhancement to the sound that is not related to just simply adding more volume??

And heck, while I’m at it I’ll ask another prickly question…

Does a $500-$1200 DAC (say BiFrost2 or RME ADI) really improve the sound in an obviously noticeable way to go that route as opposed to say, going a with a cheaper Schiit or Topping dac in the $100-$250 range?

Thanks ahead of time for any helpful responses…I’m asking as I have a BiFrost2 and either a QSHA or WA6 one click away from starting their journey to my home.

I could care less about measurements and super critical listening, does the improvement justify the equipment? I just love to listen to music and become immersed and engulfed in the sounds and songs. My goal is to enhance my music as much as possible, yet not worry or care to the point where I’m trying to improve that 5% difference of a snare hit or cymbal crash.

Ok I’ll stop and thanks again for your help.

Dec 27, 2021 at 12:51 PM Post #356 of 1,017
Thank you…the QSHA is definitely in the lead and is probably what I’ll go with as it sounds like my LCD-2C will love it…BUT…as $1000-ish is a lot of cheddar for anything I have to ask the devil’s advocate question(s) (as I’m still in the absorbing info/research portion of this fun hobby/addiction!…remember I’m just asking from a head-fi point of view regarding the online contrarian info I’ve come across in my reading. (“remember, everything you read on the internet isn’t true.” - Socrates)…so don’t shoot the messenger!

Ok…with my low impedance (RS1x - 38 Ohm, LCD-2C - 70 Ohm)…do I even need a headphone amp if my main source is going to be streaming lossless/hi-res via Apple Music through a iPhone or iPad?? “

What’s the response to the people who say “No!”

Pure volume amplification-wise if I run my RS1x through an Apple dongle into my iPhone I have the volume at about 80% to max…I can max it out but it’s a tad uncomfortable. LCD-2C I don’t have the ability to connect but I imagine those would need 90% or maybe even 100% max volume for my listening levels.

So does a HA (especially a tube HA) impart a favorable audio enhancement to the sound that is not related to just simply adding more volume??

And heck, while I’m at it I’ll ask another prickly question…

Does a $500-$1200 DAC (say BiFrost2 or RME ADI) really improve the sound in an obviously noticeable way to go that route as opposed to say, going a with a cheaper Schiit or Topping dac in the $100-$250 range?

Thanks ahead of time for any helpful responses…I’m asking as I have a BiFrost2 and either a QSHA or WA6 one click away from starting their journey to my home.

I could care less about measurements and super critical listening, does the improvement justify the equipment? I just love to listen to music and become immersed and engulfed in the sounds and songs. My goal is to enhance my music as much as possible, yet not worry or care to the point where I’m trying to improve that 5% difference of a snare hit or cymbal crash.

Ok I’ll stop and thanks again for your help.
It’s too bad, with the COVID situation, that the opportunity to have meets and listen to all this stuff has been cut way back. For several years our Seattle group provided the opportunity to hear almost all of it.

That being said, for me, putting together a very good digital front end plays a huge part in helping everything downstream be as good as it can be. So a BF2 or better would really accomplish what you stated “…love to listen to music and become immersed…”.

Dec 27, 2021 at 1:56 PM Post #357 of 1,017
It’s too bad, with the COVID situation, that the opportunity to have meets and listen to all this stuff has been cut way back. For several years our Seattle group provided the opportunity to hear almost all of it.

That being said, for me, putting together a very good digital front end plays a huge part in helping everything downstream be as good as it can be. So a BF2 or better would really accomplish what you stated “…love to listen to music and become immersed…”.

I wish I still lived in a metro area where that was a possibility. I would kill to be able to try stuff out before purchasing. Thanks for the response...yes, the BF2 definitely is in the lead in the dac race at the moment.

I don't go back to work until 1/3 so have been diving deep into this and have come across a similar analogy several times regarding headphone amps:

It's like driving 100mph in a 4 cylinder 100hp car and then driving 100mph in a V8, 400hp car. Sure they are both going the same speed, but how hard is the V4 working compared to the V8?...and what are the consequences of that effort (in audio terms)?

It seems to reason that having more than enough ample headroom allows the amp to drive the headphones with enough ease to allow the entire recording and all of it's parts sit in the mix and "bloom" as they were meant to...as opposed to the amp being stressed and having say a bass part or trumpet get muddy, distorted or congested in the recording.

Does that make sense or am I missing something?...on the right track I think as far as understanding how this stuff works.

Dec 27, 2021 at 2:32 PM Post #358 of 1,017
I wish I still lived in a metro area where that was a possibility. I would kill to be able to try stuff out before purchasing. Thanks for the response...yes, the BF2 definitely is in the lead in the dac race at the moment.

I don't go back to work until 1/3 so have been diving deep into this and have come across a similar analogy several times regarding headphone amps:

It's like driving 100mph in a 4 cylinder 100hp car and then driving 100mph in a V8, 400hp car. Sure they are both going the same speed, but how hard is the V4 working compared to the V8?...and what are the consequences of that effort (in audio terms)?

It seems to reason that having more than enough ample headroom allows the amp to drive the headphones with enough ease to allow the entire recording and all of it's parts sit in the mix and "bloom" as they were meant to...as opposed to the amp being stressed and having say a bass part or trumpet get muddy, distorted or congested in the recording.

Does that make sense or am I missing something?...on the right track I think as far as understanding how this stuff works.
I think that's a good analogy. For years I only used cheaper amps and DACs in the $100-250 range that measured well. When I finally stepped up to my Bifrost 2 and Quicksilver, things improved quite a bit. It's hard to put a finger on what all improved, and I don't know if it would be easy to distinguish with any kind of quick back-and-forth comparisons blind or sighted. I do know that I "get lost in the music" more often with a nice tube amp and my BF2.

I don't have any experience with the headphones you own, but for my 300 ohm ZMF's, I can heartily recommend stepping up to the BF2/Quicksilver combination. I think the relatively low output impedance of the Quicksilver makes it play nicely with a wider range of different headphones.

Dec 27, 2021 at 5:54 PM Post #359 of 1,017

It's a great analogy for underusing the available headroom in an amp--which really means the amp has a big, kick-ass power supply as well as more than enough WPC. The analogy is certainly true (up to a point) on solid state amps.

Related points matter, too:
  1. There are big, powerful SS amps with amazing power supplies that don't sound very good. A lot of this is that alchemy called "voicing," where a talented circuit designer pushes the sound of the amp in the desired direction using a combination of clever circuit design, inspired parts selection, and a really good pair of ears
  2. Tube amps play by different, mysterious rules. I can't even try to explain why. All I can say is my one tube amp, the Woo WA3 OTL, has less power than any of my 6 SS amps. But it can drive any headphone here, including the power hog planar, the ZMF Ori, as easily as any of the SS amps, some of which are vastly more powerful. And the bigger, more powerful transformer-coupled tube amp I had (the fully balanced Woo WA22) was insanely powerful, beyond any headphone I can even imagine.
#2 brings us back to the Quicksilver. It's more powerful & physically larger than my WA3, so the odds are it can drive any headphone you have to absolute satisfaction. So now were back to "what sound do you want?" as a big factor in these choices.

Going beyond the great mystery of amps for a moment, I totally agree with @gefski's comment above:

"That being said, for me, putting together a very good digital front end plays a huge part in helping everything downstream be as good as it can be."​

5 years ago when I finally abandoned delta/sigma DACs and got my first NOS DAC (Audio GD NOS 19), I did more to improve the overall sound of my system than any single amp, headphone, or speaker change since. And my second NOS DAC, the MHDT Labs Orchid, took things "just a little bit higher." I'm also getting great mileage out of a multibit DAC (Audio GD DAC-19) in my side-system...

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2021 at 6:35 PM Post #360 of 1,017
(1) Tube amps play by different, mysterious rules. I can't even try to explain why. All I can say is my one tube amp, the Woo WA3 OTL, has less power than any of my 6 SS amps. But it can drive any headphone here, including the power hog planar, the ZMF Ori, as easily as any of the SS amps, some of which are vastly more powerful. And the bigger, more powerful transformer-coupled tube amp I had (the fully balanced Woo WA22) was insanely powerful, beyond any headphone I can even imagine.

(2) 5 years ago when I finally abandoned delta/sigma DACs and got my first NOS DAC (Audio GD NOS 19), I did more to improve the overall sound of my system than any single amp, headphone, or speaker change since. And my second NOS DAC, the MHDT Labs Orchid, took things "just a little bit higher." I'm also getting great mileage out of a multibit DAC (Audio GD DAC-19) in my side-system…

(1) In like fashion, the Woo WA6SE - with its separate power transformer / rectification unit - behaves vastly more powerfully than the WA6. I cannot envision climbing up the tube h/p/a ladder any further.

(2) Yea ! The auDACity to ditch delta/sigma -> NOS/R2R ! If one’s music system begins with a digital source, the DAC is the most important part of the chain. Any conversion anomalies produced by a DAC will be sonically apparent ‘downstream’. [Similarly, Linners (Linn turntable enthusiasts) rightly said / say that the turntable was / is the most important part of an analogue music system…].
~ Why all this? If you want to know what a Quicksilver (or any) h/p/a is capable of, feed it the highest quality signal possible / financially allowable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back