Quick thoughts on Simphonio RX10
Dec 29, 2021 at 4:49 AM Post #31 of 44
also treble sensitive, I'll skip RX10 then and probably go FD7 / IT07 / Isa wa
Consider FD7 instread of IT07 because IT07 isnt warm, but depends also on dap matching.
Faudio Dark Sky with RS6 doesn't sound bright but i read with other daps can be....

Dec 29, 2021 at 4:54 AM Post #32 of 44
Its a little surprising to see comments mentioning rx10 having too much treble, but in my case im using a 22awg copper wire to have even fuller sound. Everyone's listening perception is based on his comparisons on past different earphones, i have sold the FD5 because its piercing treble at times. I am not trying to oppose or challenge other people's opinions, but just to raise my own part of opinion, imo RX10 is amongst the fullest and warmest earphone.if i hadn't purchased the spear labs ASL4.5 last week, RX10 is definitely also having the top 1 bass quality of all IEMs.

Maybe my recent 1 year experience on below earphones could be the reason for my above opinion: noble tux 5, kinera baldr, skuld,norn, freya(all relatively bright and light compared to rx10), see audio bravery, yume. Li yuan, 64 u6t, u18s, duo(tried these, do not own), dunu zen(bright)
@bomberjack very interesting feedback, thanks!
I thoungt the same reading reviews and also some RX10 feedback, i'll skip it onlu because of its shape, i'm worried can't fit right in my ears :frowning2:
ASL 4.5 are in my wishlist, is it very warm or has a good transparency on mids/highs? Did you compare it with Dark Sky or Acoustune HS1677ss or maybe with some Aroma?

Dec 29, 2021 at 4:59 AM Post #33 of 44
ve IEMs that do a lot of things better, but they don't isolate. RX10 checks most of the boxes f
ASL4.5 is the ASG 2.5 successor from Dale Lott and it's a basshead iem, i read some chinese review and should be a great iem that let you dive into the music, for sure not bright or analytical as Feder Mix pro.
ASL4.5 has 14mm Shockwave DD driver and 4 BA :)

Dec 29, 2021 at 5:10 AM Post #34 of 44
@Owludio i translated chinese review with google... sorry for bad translation i hope you can understand
https://www.spill.hk/headphones/SPEAR-Labs-ASL-45-review/

SPEAR Labs ASL 4.5

Readers who play with headphones are no strangers to the name Dale Lott. He was the founder of Aurisonics, former head of Fender headset department and chief designer, and is now the founder and chief designer of SPEAR Labs. The products he developed in different periods have all achieved good reputation in the market. Dale Lott is one of the leaders in the development of hybrid unit headphones. The most famous work is of course the Aurisonics era ASG 2.5. The newly launched ASL 4.5 this time is a tribute to the classic AGS 2.5 and matched with SPEAR Labs' own The unit and technology developed are aimed at redefining the sound quality standard of ring-iron headphones.

Headphone design

New special 14mm dynamic unit

The ASG 2.5 in-ear headphones launched by Aurisonics at that time used a 14.2mm moving coil with two moving iron designs. Its moving coil unit is so large that it is indeed rare. In order to continue the charm of the large moving coil, Dale specially made a 14mm SHOCKWAVE moving coil unit for ASL 4.5, with a diaphragm thickness of 1.1mm. Together with the N52 neodymium magnet, it is also only 3mm thick. The newly developed Hybrid-Acoustically-Balanced Universal (HABU) universal hybrid balanced acoustic technology has also been added to ASL 4.5. The diaphragm is thinner but extends the stroke of the unit. The advantage is that the low frequency has a better potential to provide a powerful and full bass performance. Like ASG 2.5, continue to use the crossover design, through the specially designed frequency band unit and natural crossover point method, reduce the energy loss caused by the crossover and the impact on the sound coherence.

Crystalline resin to make the shell

As for the earphone shell, the newly developed crystalline resin is used. This unique formula can greatly reduce any yellowing problems. Although it is different from the brand's previous metal materials, it uses layered production technology, using the very popular Thunder Gray in the automotive industry as the main color, and the recessed SPEAR Labs logo is even more hand-painted. Finally, Class VI ultraviolet rays are used to irradiate the shell to improve the purity of the crystal and protect the finish.

Readers who play with headphones are no strangers to the name Dale Lott. He was the founder of Aurisonics, former head of Fender headset department and chief designer, and is now the founder and chief designer of SPEAR Labs.  The products he developed in different periods have all achieved good reputation in the market.  Dale Lott is one of the leaders in the development of hybrid unit headphones. The most famous work is of course the Aurisonics era ASG 2.5. The newly launched ASL 4.5 this time is a tribute to the classic AGS 2.5 and matched with SPEAR Labs' own The unit and technology developed are aimed at redefining the sound quality standard of ring-iron headphones.

The back shell is made of transparent materials, and the moving coil and moving iron unit inside can be clearly seen.

Readers who play with headphones are no strangers to the name Dale Lott. He was the founder of Aurisonics, former head of Fender headset department and chief designer, and is now the founder and chief designer of SPEAR Labs.  The products he developed in different periods have all achieved good reputation in the market.  Dale Lott is one of the leaders in the development of hybrid unit headphones. The most famous work is of course the Aurisonics era ASG 2.5. The newly launched ASL 4.5 this time is a tribute to the classic AGS 2.5 and matched with SPEAR Labs' own The unit and technology developed are aimed at redefining the sound quality standard of ring-iron headphones.

Thunder Gray is chosen as the main color, and the SPEAR Labs logo is even more hand-painted.

Sense of wearing

There are more units, no increase in volume

As ASL 4.5 uses the newly developed ultra-thin moving coil unit, even with 4 moving iron units, the volume of the headset is not significantly increased compared to ASG 2.5; plus the resin material is very light and very close to the ear and stable after wearing , Relaxed and unburdened. In terms of earplugs, with nFORM XTR patented ear pads, it is slightly better than ordinary ear pads in terms of sound insulation and comfort, and its durability is better than ordinary ear pads. ASL 4.5 is of interchangeable cable design, but this time I did not use Pentaconn Ear to change the cable plug. Instead, it uses a more traditional CM 2pin interface. It comes standard with a newly designed silver-plated copper earphone cable. The cable body is quite soft. When the earphone cable swings At this time, there is no auscultation effect.

Wear it around the ears, with rubber sleeves on the ear hooks.

Use the more traditional CM 2pin switch interface.

The machine is equipped with nFORM XTR patented ear pads.

A silver-plated copper headphone cable is standard.

Sound quality performance

Low frequency and loose without fat and swelling

ASL 4.5 uses a large-diameter moving coil unit to process the low-frequency part. When it is turned on, the low-frequency volume is rich, but its tuning is not just a pursuit of low-frequency volume. It can create a three-dimensional feeling and a spatial atmosphere, and the potential at low frequencies is also very ideal. . In terms of vocal hearing, it is not overwhelmed by the low frequency at all. Instead, it is surrounded by a low frequency, which is very rich, and the rhyme can still maintain a fairly good line level. Although there are many large dynamic headphones on the market, the most rare thing is that the low frequency can achieve a sense of volume, looseness and swelling at the same time, and the three-frequency connection is quite natural, and the analytical power is good. This is ASL. The unique charm of 4.5.

A&futura SE180 connected to Astell&Kern for trial listening, the low frequency volume is rich, the human voice is very rich, and the three-frequency connection is quite natural.

Summarize

Beat the old works!

ASL 4.5 is a product launched at the same time as the Triton Infinity CM earphones reviewed earlier, but it takes a completely different route in terms of sound tuning. The sound of Triton Infinity is not easy to import, but ASL 4.5 is easy to fall in love with. While the low frequency dive is deep and has a lot of volume, it will not cover up the clarity of other frequency bands, but can highlight a strong sense of rhythm. ASL 4.5 is not limited to listening to a certain type of music, it is fully in line with the general omnivorous taste. The author also borrowed Dale’s old works ASG 2.5 and Harmony for auditioning. The new work ASL 4.5 is obviously over-class when compared to it. More details can be heard, the outline of the sound is clearer, and the three-band stereo perception is improved even more. The most impressive.

At the same time, I borrowed the old ASG 2.5 and Harmony for comparison.

Specifications
ASL 4.5
earphone type: in-ear
unit: 14mm moving coil + moving iron × 4, no crossover design
Frequency response: 7Hz to 24kHz
sensitivity: 108dB/mW
impedance: 30Ω
wire: silver-plated copper wire, 3.5mm plug
price: $7,800

Dec 29, 2021 at 9:56 AM Post #35 of 44
Thanks for this! We actually don't disagree at all.
Hello, thanks for your reply. Frankly speaking I very seldom do critical listening sessions(I guess it means sitting quietly to listening for prolonged times?) and do A/B tests against each other, all opinions are mostly based on general impressions to the past IEMs I've owned & listened, other people's impressions can really vary depending what they have tried previously, and also the genres of music, but I still also think we generally agree with each other. About the fit of RX10, since I am an Asian from HK, I find it just a tiny bit too big for my ear cavity, but fits so perfectly just like CM earphone in fact it's quite the best fit of all my IEMs ever, so physical noise isolation is so good for this one.

For ASL 4.5, since another reviewer Xinlisupreme has quoted some useful info in his reply, I shall continue further on his comments

Dec 29, 2021 at 10:43 AM Post #36 of 44
@bomberjack very interesting feedback, thanks!
I thoungt the same reading reviews and also some RX10 feedback, i'll skip it onlu because of its shape, i'm worried can't fit right in my ears :frowning2:
ASL 4.5 are in my wishlist, is it very warm or has a good transparency on mids/highs? Did you compare it with Dark Sky or Acoustune HS1677ss or maybe with some Aroma?
RX10 fits so so well it's just like CM earphone I believe also to other people(my other friends owning or trying it also say the same thing), so don't worry about your ear cavity shape, its just amongst the biggest shell I've tried(the biggest ones were JH audio ones, they are really bigger than my ears)

for ASL4.5, this is a very unique one, it's so sensitive to cables, even my friend who bought it before me and the shop owner said people need to pair with more combinations, the sound can easily go muffed(like there's some cotton inside) on various bronze cables, I didn't like it at all when I first auditioned in the shop when paired with a usd500 complex material cable, it was so boomy, bass was very exaggerated with too much extension. However, since I was always looking for a really top notch quality DD(just like when i tried sony ex1000 many years ago) which should have plently of quality bass like large diameter speaker, really punchy, deep dive with long extension but should not be fatiguing or making me feel dizzy(pls excuse my Eng as it's not my main language)and should not be overwhleming that it'll lose the mids and highs. If I haven't met the ASL4.5, i would have settled with this wish on RX10 already. It's just I knew there should be some more potential with this ASL4.5 and it shouldn't behave like that, so I asked my friend to lend me his for 2 days, he owns 15+ expensive cables, but what he paired with the ASL4.5 is the stock one from KZ usd20 earphones, and it just feels exactly what i wanted! the eartips are ePro horn shaped tips. With this combination, the ASL4.5 doesn't sound muffed at all and it's so powerful, reminds me of listening on my HD6xx on a desktop amp, and It's on the warmer side i'd say, the atmosphere it creates is just so amazing. Currently I'm paring it with a pure silver cable which I find similar to what i heard on the KZ stock one.

and coincidentally I have tried the acoustune 1677 & Dark Sky before also, but it was very brief , I don't think Dark sky has too much characteristic despite it being overall a nice quality DD, a little warm, but no points to attract me for the second song, Fiio FDX > Dark sky IMO. but I do like the 1677 , I remember trying it together with the 1697 when they launched together, but the more quick & crisp(but not too bright) feeling from 1677 left a better impression in my brain, I'd say FD7>1677>>FD5. Since Aroma is a HK brand, it's quite easy for us to try their models here, but since they are quite expensive in my mind, I've only tried Thunder & Ace for fun, though my friends say the latest Jewel is a very top notch listening experience, based on the preivous 2 I've tried, I'd say at this price range, I'd rather choose 64, FIR or Noble(hope no HK reader would find this comment)

Attachments

• 268172260_10158694172036270_1439388786359476789_n.jpg
    268172260_10158694172036270_1439388786359476789_n.jpg
    418.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG20211202185702.jpg
    IMG20211202185702.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Dec 29, 2021 at 5:42 PM Post #37 of 44
@bomberjack do you consider ASL 4.5 superior to FDX/FD7?

Dec 29, 2021 at 9:11 PM Post #38 of 44
Its a little surprising to see comments mentioning rx10 having too much treble, but in my case im using a 22awg copper wire to have even fuller sound. Everyone's listening perception is based on his comparisons on past different earphones, i have sold the FD5 because its piercing treble at times. I am not trying to oppose or challenge other people's opinions, but just to raise my own part of opinion, imo RX10 is amongst the fullest and warmest earphone.if i hadn't purchased the spear labs ASL4.5 last week, RX10 is definitely also having the top 1 bass quality of all IEMs.

Maybe my recent 1 year experience on below earphones could be the reason for my above opinion: noble tux 5, kinera baldr, skuld,norn, freya(all relatively bright and light compared to rx10), see audio bravery, yume. Li yuan, 64 u6t, u18s, duo(tried these, do not own), dunu zen(bright)
Oh, by the way, how did you find skuld? I heard some good words about it being quite warm and natural which is quite unusual for full-BA

Dec 29, 2021 at 9:25 PM Post #40 of 44
@bomberjack do you consider ASL 4.5 superior to FDX/FD7?
While the FD7 & FDX are overall more balanced and all rounded, the FDX just feeling a little.bit more luxurious (maybe because of the resonance? I.dont know), i bought the asl because i already have other balanced feeling ones like the RX10 & skuld, and i do not like the golden color and round + heavy ear shell anymore

Dec 29, 2021 at 9:34 PM Post #41 of 44
Oh, by the way, how did you find skuld? I heard some good words about it being quite warm and natural which is quite unusual for full-BA
Its really surprisingly warm & full bodied, as i own nearly every models of kineras, they mostly tend to be leaner & cleaner feeling, but as a full BA combination, skuld totally sounds out of the pack, i like warmer tones, it has been my daily driver for many months before i made the recent purchases. Im not trying to exaggerate, but i doesnt sound too bad compared to the 64 u6t ive tried(of course i'd buy u6t if they are selling at same price haha), they both have similar tuning direction i..think

Attachments

• IMG20210805211833.jpg
    IMG20210805211833.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG20210722125100.jpg
    IMG20210722125100.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Dec 30, 2021 at 8:17 AM Post #42 of 44
Its really surprisingly warm & full bodied, as i own nearly every models of kineras, they mostly tend to be leaner & cleaner feeling, but as a full BA combination, skuld totally sounds out of the pack, i like warmer tones, it has been my daily driver for many months before i made the recent purchases. Im not trying to exaggerate, but i doesnt sound too bad compared to the 64 u6t ive tried(of course i'd buy u6t if they are selling at same price haha), they both have similar tuning direction i..think
Thanks! How you'd compare it to RX10, FD7, IT07 and probably some others mentioned here, maybe Nanna 2.0 / Imperial also? Not just for bass but for overall coherence, timbre and musicality?

Dec 31, 2021 at 2:39 AM Post #43 of 44
Thanks! How you'd compare it to RX10, FD7, IT07 and probably some others mentioned here, maybe Nanna 2.0 / Imperial also? Not just for bass but for overall coherence, timbre and musicality?
Sorry I haven't tried IT07, Nanna 2.0 or Imperial(Baldr 2.0?) yet, so could not comment on those, if strictly comparing to each other, skuld is overall more comfortable for prolonged listening considering the wearing experience, sound pressure and sound quality, but in face they are still different, as RX10 is a single DD which is very top quality I think, the musical atmosphere immersion, vocal thickness & bass it provides is the amongst the top, but you can still feel the weight(i mean physically & listening experience) in your ear, while skuld being a pure BA combination, it overall provides a pressure free yet warm enough experience which is very enjoyable. Speaking of pure BA ones, I want to mention See Audio Bravery is also quite competitive & somehow similar. Since I have only listened to FD7 for less than 10 minutes, what I can say is it sounds like an evolved & improved version of FD5 , erasing the piercing treble occurence and overall a little warmer & fuller, but RX10 is more suiting my own personal taste

Users who are viewing this thread

Back