Quick question about amp with no DAC
Jun 12, 2012 at 2:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

ninjames

I get people telling me I say dumb things all day.
Hey guys, my Little Dot MKIII will be coming in soon and I can't use it with a DAC for a couple weeks. So all I have is a laptop with your standard headphone jack. How will I connect?

Do I buy a cheap 3.5mm to RCA plug and plug into the back of the amp? Into the input right? Will I get some benefit for now? Thanks.

Jun 12, 2012 at 11:27 AM Post #2 of 5
Your solution will work fine.  You should get better control of your headphone drivers using an amp vs the headphone jack on your laptop.  Be prepared for all of the noise to be amplified as well so you may hear the various clocks inside your computer ( bleep-bloops ) or if you are using an external mouse you may hear that when it is being moved.

The DAC should eliminate that issue.

Jun 12, 2012 at 11:40 AM Post #3 of 5
Cool, thanks. I have the money to get, like, the Streamer II right now but I really, really wanted someone to tell me it's OK to wait a bit. You know, so I can eat food and pay some of my bills and maybe even take my fiance' out. :] 

Jun 12, 2012 at 11:42 AM Post #4 of 5
In case you were curious, I've seen several users in different places on this board mention that they don't think the difference between the HRT Music Streamer II and the HRT Music Streamer II+ is worth the difference in their prices ($149 vs. $349). From what I understand, the $149 Music Streamer is excellent.

Quote:
Cool, thanks. I have the money to get, like, the Streamer II right now but I really, really wanted someone to tell me it's OK to wait a bit. You know, so I can eat food and pay some of my bills and maybe even take my fiance' out. :] 

Jun 12, 2012 at 12:20 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:
In case you were curious, I've seen several users in different places on this board mention that they don't think the difference between the HRT Music Streamer II and the HRT Music Streamer II+ is worth the difference in their prices ($149 vs. $349). From what I understand, the $149 Music Streamer is excellent.

Thanks, but yeah, I was always going to get the $149 one regardless. Ya'll haven't made me crazy enough to put $350 into a DAC just yet. I'll give it another half a year or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back