Quick impressions from the NYC meet at Grado labs
Nov 18, 2002 at 9:45 PM Post #121 of 204
Quote:

Originally posted by bootman
Nice pics.

Does anyone care to put a name to each face?

I'm damm sorry I couldn't make it.
frown.gif

I'll try, but I'm not too good at remembering names. Somebody else, feel free to make corrections. Here goes:
Left to Right
Sonyearphones, joelongwood, williamgoody, DGS (in back), son of bozebuttons (front), HighwayStar, John Grado, skippy, bozebuttons, bifcake, and nychead.

Nov 18, 2002 at 10:35 PM Post #122 of 204
my turn to give it a shot.... from left to right:
sonyearphones in the far left with the pink shirt
joelongwood in the green sweatshirt and black jacket
williamgoody in the dark blue
dgs in the back with the glasses
bozebutton's son is the short one in front that hasn't finished puberty
highwaystar with the black shirt
john grado in the back with the blue shirt
skippy is the short one in front that has completed puberty
bozebuttons in back with the beard
bifcake with the mullet that you can't see
and nychead in front of the painting of joe grado

Nov 18, 2002 at 11:36 PM Post #124 of 204
There where about 17 members who showed for the meet some left before pictures above where taken, but should show in dgs brothers pics when he posts them. All the equipment I brought to meet had audioquest amazon interconnects, blockhead had balanced cardas cable supplied by headroom.

Nov 19, 2002 at 12:13 AM Post #125 of 204
Quote:

Originally posted by bifcake

9. Grado SR40's are now my standard for portable headphones. They easily beat out Koss ksc-35's, which are quite good. The SR-40s provide good isolation, terrific midrange, good highs and decent bass in a nice looking set of portable phones (not a traditional Grado design). Best of all, they go for $40. Terrific value!

Anything more you can tell us about the SR-40's? Are they easily driven? How do they compare in terms of sound with the SR-60's or KSC-35s?

Nov 19, 2002 at 12:37 AM Post #126 of 204
jgrado.jpg

Ok, here's a question that has nothing to do with who is who.

What is John Grado's headphones plugged into? First glance I thought it was the RA-1, but they are definitely plugged into the thing below the RA-1. Could it possibly be the AC powered Grado amp that Todd was talking about?

Nov 19, 2002 at 12:51 AM Post #127 of 204
I was thinking the older Grado HA-1/2 when I saw it...

Nov 19, 2002 at 1:24 AM Post #128 of 204
Anyone know if John Grado lurks on here?

Nov 19, 2002 at 1:28 AM Post #129 of 204
Yes, Vertigo-1's right -- that's the older HPA-1/2. Someone earlier said the innards of it and the RA-1 are nearly identical. Where'd that information come from?

kerely

Nov 19, 2002 at 1:42 AM Post #131 of 204
John Grado said so. He didn't design them nor did Joe but another very famous old school amp designer who has since pass away, it was the last thing he design. There was a stereophile which had his last interview in which he talked about the amp. I can try to look for it in my huge stack of mags. Once I find it I will post the name and some details.

Nov 19, 2002 at 2:00 AM Post #134 of 204
Hirsch, have you opened up the RA-1 and HPA-1? I though they sounded different at the meet, with the HPA-1 being noticibly smoother. I'd be surprised if they're 'nearly identical' inside. The difference in size and mass suggests they'd be different, too. ...

kerely

Nov 19, 2002 at 2:51 AM Post #135 of 204
You can take the case off of the HPA-1, but the circuit is embedded in epoxy and impossible to get at. There are two sets of big capacitors in it that would have a tough time fitting in the wooden box. They are apparently a custom capacitor made for the amp (according to the literature about it). The RA-1 can't be opened without pretty much destroying it. It's been done, and a search should turn up some pics.

The HPA-1 is a smoother amp than the RA-1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back