Vintage OG and Present Day TOTL Impressions
Sep 28, 2022 at 5:31 PM Post #751 of 1,529
What you don't know.

Can cost you quite a bit of money. I'm aware.

Probabaly better asked in the Kerry thread, but can you do a t2 with switches like a lampi pacific so you can run 300b/45/2a3/etc?

Sep 28, 2022 at 5:32 PM Post #752 of 1,529
Probabaly better asked in the Kerry thread, but can you do a t2 with switches like a lampi pacific so you can run 300b/45/2a3/etc?
No. You won't see the commercial availability of these projects. Current frankenstein requires adapters and adaptive changes to operational parameters.

Sep 28, 2022 at 5:49 PM Post #753 of 1,529
Ya'll need to switch to DIY T2 300B or Cayman with Elrog 300B.
lol, maybe a 300b tube pre or tube buffer stage to try out some day, just not right now. Have a couple other things taking precedent at the mo'.

Sep 28, 2022 at 7:32 PM Post #754 of 1,529
The industry is treading towards an underwhelming future. Doesn't even pique my interest.

I get the sentiment entirely.

------

And certainly I'd be interested in a 300b T2 version if ever available. Sounds like a match made in heaven.

Sep 29, 2022 at 10:25 AM Post #755 of 1,529
It's becoming exhaustive being disappointed by abc compared to TC.

I rather just buy Elrogs.
One thing I can absolutely (and objectively) confirm right now is that the W2022 is much higher resolution than any of the Abyss headphones to date :)

But don't expect the same fun bass and staging presentation

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Sep 29, 2022 at 10:57 AM Post #757 of 1,529
One thing I can absolutely (and objectively) confirm right now is that the W2022 is much higher resolution than any of the Abyss headphones to date :)

You've had hands on one? Currious for deeper impressions

Sep 29, 2022 at 11:14 AM Post #758 of 1,529

The TC are noted for resolution so something that is much higher would make me wonder if there is an emphasis in the freq. range that would make it appear so. What do you think?

Sep 29, 2022 at 11:30 AM Post #759 of 1,529
The TC are noted for resolution so something that is much higher would make me wonder if there is an emphasis in the freq. range that would make it appear so. What do you think?
That's exactly what I was thinking too. AT has been all over the map with voicing on their limited-edition wood & leather series; with the exception of L3000 (and maaaybe L5000 with a pad / fit mod) I really don't trust them to get it right. Titanium drivers too - so hopefully this isn't just a brightness cannon.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2022 at 7:12 PM Post #760 of 1,529
Better switch to speakers. Ha.

Lol, but seriously, on this topic... in a year or so I know I won't have much time to give to isolation with headphones. Also should have an ideal space in the next year after moving. Speakers are going to take over at that point, I'm just worried as the money spent on headphones looks like pennies for speakers lol

Oct 5, 2022 at 1:58 AM Post #761 of 1,529
I absolutely wouldn't be in for a pair at 5 figures (and I have talked to @HifiXMen men about buying a pair way back, as his DIY'ing is impressive, but he was not building them for others/selling at that point in time, and that is likely still the case)

Multiple reasons why.

1. Shangri-La Sr's can be bought for low 5 figures. Which relates to #2.
2. DIY does not come with the same warranty/replacement assurances as a large established brand
3. No distributor/dealer network percentages=should mean a much lower price

Just IMHO, if @HifiXMen ends up selling these, he can ask whatever he wants to and I wish him the best of luck with his endeavours regardless.
👍

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2022 at 9:26 AM Post #762 of 1,529
Lol, but seriously, on this topic... in a year or so I know I won't have much time to give to isolation with headphones. Also should have an ideal space in the next year after moving. Speakers are going to take over at that point, I'm just worried as the money spent on headphones looks like pennies for speakers lol
Have you gone around auditioning speakers to figure out what you like yet? That, and the room variable, are the hardest parts - sadly we can't do speakers like headphones, buying dozens and selling efficiently after getting a handle on their sound :frowning2: The amps are bigger and heavier too!

I latched onto Tannoy early and that's been great - kept upgrades relatively linear, and keeps me sane :)
But there's been others I've heard and liked a lot - Magico S5, Focal Sopra 3, Von Schweikert VR55 Aktive, and most recently the Acora Acoustics granite speakers. Really liked the Acoras with VAC gear. But at the end of the day, I'm always happy to go back home!

Oct 6, 2022 at 2:34 PM Post #763 of 1,529
I absolutely wouldn't be in for a pair at 5 figures (and I have talked to @HifiXMen men about buying a pair way back, as his DIY'ing is impressive, but he was not building them for others/selling at that point in time, and that is likely still the case)

Multiple reasons why.

1. Shangri-La Sr's can be bought for low 5 figures. Which relates to #2.
2. DIY does not come with the same warranty/replacement assurances as a large established brand
3. No distributor/dealer network percentages=should mean a much lower price

Just IMHO, if @HifiXMen ends up selling these, he can ask whatever he wants to and I wish him the best of luck with his endeavours regardless.
Yes, I agree with this. I was saying I would pay 10,000~ if a company funded to make this a normal production headphone.
As a DIY I would pay ~5,000 assuming that he provided a warranty.
Ultimately, I would even willing pay the 12,000~ or whatever it is that the SGL Sr. street price is if it was built in a way that provided me confidence it would last 10+ years. Given the price you'd think Hifiman would have the funds to do it.

Hope this gets your juices going @HifiXMen , we all love your work and wish you'd turn it into a profession!

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2022 at 11:44 PM Post #764 of 1,529
Have you gone around auditioning speakers to figure out what you like yet? That, and the room variable, are the hardest parts - sadly we can't do speakers like headphones, buying dozens and selling efficiently after getting a handle on their sound :frowning2: The amps are bigger and heavier too!

I latched onto Tannoy early and that's been great - kept upgrades relatively linear, and keeps me sane :)
But there's been others I've heard and liked a lot - Magico S5, Focal Sopra 3, Von Schweikert VR55 Aktive, and most recently the Acora Acoustics granite speakers. Really liked the Acoras with VAC gear. But at the end of the day, I'm always happy to go back home!

I haven't. Once I move to Chicago later this year I'll be on a hunt for a house first, anticipating 6 months to a year to find something the Mrs. will actually want lol. I'll try to take that same time to audition speakers. Martin Logan electrostatic speakers and Focal's Kanta 2/3 as well have caught my eye, but I think that's because of my adjacent re-entering of the headphone world lol. I need to do a ton more research for anything 5-10k/pair because I've just never bought in that range before. And I hate to even think about the pre/amp and cables rabbit hole... but I'll just sell something at that point to make up for it lol

Oddly enough, I recently tried my EVO 400 Integrated tube speaker amp with my Heresys this week. I had always had them in my office/soundroom for the TC/Susvara/Sr1a, too huge a pain to ever move at close to 100lbs. My goodness it sounds immaculate with the Klipsch speakers--gets rid of any brightness, more full and beautiful tone, better detail and texture over my 150w Marantz (which I did enjoy and have also tested with each of the headphones mentioned above). I was going to sell both the Heresys and the EVO as it would be so much easier to do so than pack and move.. but I'm not now, I'm keeping them. In the future I'll probably use them as a second speaker system in a basement. (I know, I know, should've tried the combo way earlier lol)

Oct 8, 2022 at 6:13 AM Post #765 of 1,529
Yes, I agree with this. I was saying I would pay 10,000~ if a company funded to make this a normal production headphone.
As a DIY I would pay ~5,000 assuming that he provided a warranty.
Ultimately, I would even willing pay the 12,000~ or whatever it is that the SGL Sr. street price is if it was built in a way that provided me confidence it would last 10+ years. Given the price you'd think Hifiman would have the funds to do it.

Hope this gets your juices going @HifiXMen , we all love your work and wish you'd turn it into a profession!
Sorry, this DIY version headphone is not for sale, it's just a hobby work, it took me about 2 weeks to build and test each pair of drivers, actually, it's just a larger size hfm oval shaped electrostatic speaker, by using hfm or sennheiser he90 headband and hfm OG earpads, it has no special design or any tuning magic like other commercial product.

From my personal experience, it is not hard to make an electrostatic headphone with good sounding, Even the entry-level Etats like jade2 or L300 can be made as good as flagship ones by modifying the diaphragm or changing shell structure and wearing. But,it is very difficult to make an electrostatic headphone with high durability like STAX. This is actually the direction that hfm has been working on for so many years. Unfortunately, the durability of my DIY estats is probably worse than that of hfm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back