Vintage OG and Present Day TOTL Impressions
Jun 18, 2022 at 1:19 PM Post #496 of 1,502
I’d be in on a T2 if it wasn’t 15,000

I’m happy with the BHSE for the foreseeable future
That's fine; the BHSE is a wonderful amp and sometimes I wish I'd kept mine around. But if you get a windfall in the future, T2 is well worth it :smiley:

Jun 19, 2022 at 4:53 PM Post #497 of 1,502
Resolution:

Both amps excel in this regard, and so much so that I don’t see a need to break out this category between the two amps. Both are extremely good with detail retrieval and sound incredibly resolving. The one thing I’d note here is that as mentioned earlier, the BHSE’s spaciousness really compliments the detail retrieval and perception of detail overall. But when evaluating each song for information that should be apparent and distinctly recognizable, it’s all there, in both amps.

Closing Thoughts on Part 1

A few thoughts to share in wrapping up. Again, I must start with the fact that both of these amps perform at such a high level; there were a few times that I forgot to swap to the other and just kept listening lol. They are both that enjoyable and I could easily live with either long term—and I would’ve never explored outside of the BHSE if it weren’t for the SGL Sr. (but more on that at a near future point).

I often mention on this site that every aspect of the sound one could enjoy is directly tied to a tradeoff. This is extremely relevant in comparing these two amps, as each of their unique, greatest strengths are in ways inverses of the other’s. I mention this because I don’t think it’s possible to say that either is better. While they each excel in all technical categories.. the Aeras is the warmer amp, with a more intimate presentation w/slightly denser sound and stronger bass presence; all of which makes for more of a euphoric sound to get lost into. The Blue Hawaii on the other hand, is the more transparent amp, with a great sense of clarity and amazing openness and layering, which is mesmerizing from a technical standpoint.

As many know, the 009 has been one of my favorite headphones and I’ve paired them with the BHSE for the past 3+ years (Woo Wes before that). With mDave this combo is extremely transparent, with an amazing sense of clarity. Same with the HE60, and this chain also livens the 007 a bit (these were the three stats I owned for a long time). Even until this day, I still truly enjoy this sound with the BHSE… there were so many moments in this comparison where I just got lost in the music with it.

However, today, if I had to choose, I’d take the Aeras. It would be a hard choice, but I would mainly do so because it’s pretty close to performance in categories the BHSE excels in, while the added warmth, density of sound and improved bass mates very well with stats in general and the ones I own. In example, the 009 on the Aeras is probably the best I’ve ever heard it (again except on the T2), and I said as such months ago when I first got the Aeras for demo. It desperately makes up for some of the 009’s issues—brightness, leanness, lightness of bass; without taking away from its technical prowess, which is huge. The 009 is a bit more of an extreme example, but the same effect is noticed w/other stats.

Now to my surprise, I found that even warmer stats like the CRBN and even warmer 007 do pair really well with the Aeras, but I do like the BHSE for increasing their energy just a bit. Also, both the CRBN and 007 can stand to gain a bit more openness and spacing, and the BHSE pairs very well with them due to that as well. It would be a much harder choice if these were my primary cans of use.

So again, it all comes down to preference and what you prefer to listen to.. which is a great segue into what I’ll cover next: a comparison between these two amps specifically for synergy with the HE60, CRBN, 007, 009, x9000 and SGL. (btw, I’ve done the comparisons already, just need to do the writing).
You would be using the HE60 biased to 580. Have you found any degradation of sound vs using 540 volts?

Jun 19, 2022 at 5:32 PM Post #498 of 1,502
Perhaps we should should pool our money to hire someone to make a bot which spams sennheiser with requests for a headphone only HE1 take on the HE60. Though I suppose that would make quite a few HE1 owners upset, lol.
If you buy an he1 you can also order a second he1-headphone only-to connect to the back labeled headphone 2. I believe you can order an he1 headphone and request to customize the sound.

So you probably could get an he1 headphone and ask for it to sound like an he60. I have no idea how much the he1 headphone itself would cost though...

Sennheiser should really consider making another estat or 2 that isn't prohibitively expensive.

Jun 19, 2022 at 6:53 PM Post #499 of 1,502
If you buy an he1 you can also order a second he1-headphone only-to connect to the back labeled headphone 2. I believe you can order an he1 headphone and request to customize the sound.

So you probably could get an he1 headphone and ask for it to sound like an he60. I have no idea how much the he1 headphone itself would cost though...

Sennheiser should really consider making another estat or 2 that isn't prohibitively expensive.
Maybe they can Massdrop an HE-X for $2000 and royally piss off everyone who invested in an HE-1 :smile:

Jun 19, 2022 at 7:47 PM Post #500 of 1,502
Unfortunately I didn't get to spend much time with T2 & 007 Mk I but quite honestly there is something special there. Incredibly musical, liquid & lush with no notable technical deficiencies standing out to break the spell. I guess I appreciate the 007 more with age. What's the status of your ES-1a btw? I'm coming around to it (just driving with a KGSShv for now) but sometimes wish for a little more treble sparkle there; even the 007 Mk I has more.

I immediately thought the ES-1a was impressive for the cost. Something about it hasn't fully got my attention just yet. I know part of it is that I've been so focused on comparisons with all of the others, so I do need more time with it. But definitely, a little on the darker side. I'm going to spend much more time with it over the next week and report back.

You would be using the HE60 biased to 580. Have you found any degradation of sound vs using 540 volts?

I've only see drastic improvement with the amps I've used over the HEV70 (this is also with an upgraded LPS for it a second time around). No drawbacks or issues whatsoever.

Jun 19, 2022 at 8:13 PM Post #501 of 1,502
I immediately thought the ES-1a was impressive for the cost. Something about it hasn't fully got my attention just yet. I know part of it is that I've been so focused on comparisons with all of the others, so I do need more time with it. But definitely, a little on the darker side. I'm going to spend much more time with it over the next week and report back.

I've only see drastic improvement with the amps I've used over the HEV70 (this is also with an upgraded LPS for it a second time around). No drawbacks or issues whatsoever.
Yes, most any amp that is decent would be an improvement. I was more curious about the bias and any negative but apparently there was none.

Have you tried the HE90 with a bias of 580? I have read that can lead to issues.

Jun 19, 2022 at 8:24 PM Post #502 of 1,502
Yes, most any amp that is decent would be an improvement. I was more curious about the bias and any negative but apparently there was none.

Have you tried the HE90 with a bias of 580? I have read that can lead to issues.

Yea no issues that I've observed at all. Unfortunately I haven't heard the HE90. It's the one pair of headphones I'd love to hear the most out of everything I haven't. :)

Jun 19, 2022 at 8:57 PM Post #503 of 1,502
Yea no issues that I've observed at all. Unfortunately I haven't heard the HE90. It's the one pair of headphones I'd love to hear the most out of everything I haven't. :)
I have read that they are bass light but that the mids and highs are excellent. Having a pair of my own now, I see nothing wrong with the bass. Very natural and textured. They throw an extremely transparent and layered sound stage but not clinical. But I have read of a few trying to use them with 580 bias but that it is not a good idea but I haven't messaged/emailed with anyone who has done it. I wouldn't chance it. Just curious is all.

Jun 20, 2022 at 12:02 AM Post #505 of 1,502
I specifically remember he90 sounding bass light out of its matching hev90 amp. And that the DIY T2 completely cured this deficiency. That was some years ago now, though.
Right, the HEV90 was not a very good amp compared to what the HE90 can do. I just wish they had made the HE90 a typical bias of 580. Life would be mush simpler with them.

Jun 23, 2022 at 12:00 AM Post #506 of 1,502
Work has been insane. Just absolutely insane.. but I have continued to get evening sessions in, mainly focused on headphone/amp pairing synergy between the Aeras and BHSE. I've already been doing this for weeks generally, but this past week with more of a focus on this aspect. Will share comprehensive thoughts, but again, I cannot stress enough how I could live with either of these two amps long term lol.

Both of them check box every technical category.. while the BHSE has the advantage in openness and transparency and the Aeras in density of sound and bass. More to come there.

Lastly, I'm so glad I'm close to closing all of this out.. and it means more time with the SGL Sr. and T2. Which is just simply unmatched to my ears against anything I've ever heard. It's been amazing on that front. But more to come there as well. :)

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2022 at 1:13 AM Post #507 of 1,502
Jun 25, 2022 at 9:06 AM Post #508 of 1,502
Jul 1, 2022 at 5:42 PM Post #509 of 1,502
Part II: Eksonic Aeras and Headamp Blue Hawaii SE - Synergy and Pairings

Before going into synergy and pairings, just want to reiterate again (and with chances of sounding like a broken record lol) that these two amps are very well within the same tier of performance. Most of the performance differences between them and each of these headphones are pretty subtle to me.. with mainly the exception of the SGL Sr, which is really hard to drive properly.

Stax x9000
Description: the x9000 is really strong technically capable headphone, with it’s major strength (imo) being it’s openness and imaging, with excellent resolution. It also has really strong bass performance for a stat (nothing insanely crazy though). I would describe it as a bit laid back, in the sense that it’s less forward than most stats. The instruments, vocals and sounds are placed just a bit further than say with the 009 and SGL for example. Lastly, it has a pretty neutral tonality, with a slight amount of warmth.

With the above said, I think the Aeras and the BHSE are a toss up with the x9000 really. The openness of the BHSE accentuates the x9000’s strengths in this regard, and it can be a really impressive wow factor. Also, the slightly brighter highs of the BHSE gives the x9000 a bit more sparkle. But whether this is a desirable change will be heavily dependent on the user. The x9000 to my ears doesn’t have a hint of brightness, but it’s slightly brighter on the BHSE.

Also, the softer impact of the BHSE can at times make the x9000 feel a bit more laid back than maybe it is. But the rest of the energy and tonality of the BHSE seems to make up for this imo.

With the Aeras, you do loose just a bit in openness, mainly from a soundstage width and spacing standpoint. In this case, I actually prefer the width of the BHSE, but prefer the more intimate spacing and midrange of the Aeras. At times, the x9000 actually feels a bit artificially open, with the spacing of the sounds and instruments seemingly a bit too distant. With the Aeras, you feel a bit closer and engulfed in the music. These are slight differences and are obvious tradeoffs that make sense, just will depend on what someone is looking for.

Audeze CRBN
The CRBN is a very enjoyable stat that really excels in the categories of tonality, overall completeness and bass performance. It has a very smooth and warm sound, with no major deficiencies across the spectrum of sound. The major opportunity the CRBN does have, which again doesn’t disrupt the overall enjoyment of sound, is the holographic layering, spacing and openness you come to expect from traditional stats.

The first thing that stands out with the BHSE and CRBN pairing is that the openness and airiness of the Blue Hawaii helps improve the CRBN’s sense of openness, which helps counteract to a slight degree, the layering and staging challenges mentioned above (Want to be clear that I mean very slightly, it doesn’t correct the problem to a large degree). However, the two slight tradeoffs here are 1) you’ll lose a small amount of the CRBN’s bass impact and perceived bass quantity; 2) it alters the CRBNs amazingly natural tonality a bit, which makes it lean a bit more neutral instead of silky warm. Now given the CRBN’s already strong bass performance (for a stat), I don’t think it’s much of a hit to take w/the BHSE, but if that’s what you love about it most it could be an important factor. I also don’t think the tonality changes much, but you may loose just a smidge of that sense of smoothness inherent to the CRBN.

With the Aeras, the CRBN’s natural tonality is enhanced due to it also having a very smooth nature. I was worried initially that the combo may be too euphoric or warm, but that’s just not the case, with great resolution as well. The extra density of sound also is a nice add for vocals and instruments; there’s a slightly higher degree of realism.

So with the Aeras, you get more of what the CRBN already does, with very smooth and intimate sound, with great impact. And with the BHSE, you get a slightly more open sound, with a bit less warmth and weight, but with more air.

Stax 009
This was my favorite stat for quite some time before the SGL Sr. arrived. The 009 is one of the most technically capable stats I’ve ever heard. Extremely resolving, with in your face detail and speed. It excels greatly with spacing, imaging and the holographic nature stats are typically known for. It has an excellent sense of clarity that only the Sr1a and a few others can compete with. Now, after all of that praise, on to a few issues . The up in your face detail and speed is partly what contributes to a sense of an aggressive sound that not everyone loves. But what mostly contributes to this is the brightness and leanness, which at times can make the highs a challenge for some. Lastly, its bass, although tight and accurate is certainly a bit light overall. Again, to be clear here, I’m trying to be as objective here as possible, the issues stated here do not drastically reduce my enjoyment of the 009 with either of these amps.

I’ll start with the Aeras pairing here, as overall I prefer the 009 with it over the BHSE. The issues with brightness and leanness are just about totally eradicated with the Aeras, with it giving it a much needed boost of warmth and weight to the sound, in addition to a nice increase in bass impact in comparison to the BHSE. It’s a bit smoother experience that makes extended sessions with the 009 more enjoyable. And you still get that signature strong performance in the categories of detail, spacing and imaging, which makes it a great pairing.

With the Blue Hawaii, the 009s leans further into its natural characteristics, both the strengths and weaknesses. The positive thing here is that it can really amplify the 009’s most stat like features—euphoric clarity, open and airy sound, etc. The technical capabilities shine through very clearly on the BHSE, with a major focus on transparency. The main two challenges I find with the 009/BHSE pairing are 1) It can feel really soft on the bass, which in this case is more of a reflection of the 009; and 2) mainly on poorly recorded tracks or tracks with intensive highs, the sense of brightness can be a bit too strong. As someone that really enjoys the 009, this is not the case most of the time, but depending on the music you’re listening to, longer sessions can be a challenge

So bottom line here, given the technical ability of the Aeras and the ability for the 009 to shine in that regard, while also improving the weight of the sound and bass and curbing the brightness/leanness, I again prefer the Aeras for it. That said, I do still really enjoy the 009/BHSE pairing overall.

Hifiman Shangri-La Sr
The SGL Sr. is the greatest headphone I’ve ever heard. Literally just swapped from the 009 on the same Coltrane track (Aeras to start) and the added texture and detail of the saxophone is just insane. Hyper-detail and realism, with a larger than life sound. It is more a technical and higher energy listening experience in comparison to the smoother sounding Susvara, but lacks the aggressiveness found in the 009. It has really strong performing and adequate bass, but I have found that its performance in this regard does differ quite a bit from amp to amp—more so than any other aspect of the sound imo. Lastly, it is extremely hard to drive; seemingly more so than the 007, which is really saying something lol

I’ll start with the BHSE here.. right off the bat there’s an amazing sensory overload with spaciousness and staging, something the SGL just naturally excels at. Overall there’s a lightness and airiness to the sound that creates a really strong sense of clarity. However, of all comparisons, this one specifically shows the largest gap between the BHSE and Aeras. The light and transparent focused sound of the BHSE comes at the tradeoff of simply too much softness with the SGL.

The bass in particular is just too soft and flat with the BHSE. In comparison the Aeras has a good sense of impact and presence. The lack of tonal density with the BHSE specifically with the SGL also contributes to a softer sound. With the Aeras, instruments sound more lifelike and vocals more accurate and lush. The smoother tonality of the Aeras is also a warm welcome for the SGL’s energy and its hyper-resolving nature. And similar to the 009 and the Aeras, none of the detail or technical capabilities are smoothed over to achieve this engaging and smooth sound.

I would have to take the Aeras here, as with having the T2 that I’ve also listened to extensively, I would say the BHSE is just too soft (bass and density of sound) for the SGL Sr. Long term, I don’t think I could stick with the BHSE and SGL, especially given the Sr.’s price and capabilities. That said, again, complete wow factor from a resolution and holographic layering standpoint with the pairing. But the Aeras also checks off those boxes, while providing a weighty sound without a hint of deficiency anywhere.

All of that said, the SGL Sr. is probably the only headphone that I would say probably warrants an absolute need for the T2 (or similar) over both the Aeras and the BHSE, so do keep that in mind here.

In Closing
Again, this was really difficult, as reasonably speaking, these amps don’t perform drastically different and are in the same tier imo. Most of these differences are subtle in nature, but with that said, as mentioned in Part I—present day I would take the Aeras over the BHSE for most stats. The main factor here is that they both excel in the technical categories, and the Aeras’ tonality/increased density of sound and bass impact mates really well with most stats given their natural deficiencies or issues most find with them. I think for most people, I would recommend the Aeras, and especially people newer to stax. And for those that absolutely prioritize transparency and spacing over everything, I would recommend the BHSE, as it does have a bit more airiness and focus on clarity. In either event, with *most* stats I could live with either without ever second guessing.

I didn’t cover the 007 and HE60, but I’ll focus on them + the 009/SGL as I discuss the T2/Aeras/BHSE in the next part, which I expect to be much shorter. As a preview, the T2 combines the strengths of the Aeras and BHSE, while also improving in a few categories overall. I'll cover that + my perspective on the cost difference and price to performance ratio across the three.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back