Vintage OG and Present Day TOTL Impressions
Jun 15, 2022 at 10:08 AM Post #481 of 1,520
Again, my apologies for the low quality photo pics.. but a few more. In particular to give a good idea of the difference in size between the amps.

IMG_4701.jpg

IMG_4691.jpg

IMG_4685.jpg

Jun 15, 2022 at 10:20 AM Post #482 of 1,520
Part I: Eksonic Aeras and Headamp BHSE

Eksonic Aeras General Overview
The Aeras has a really complete sound with a tonality and timbre that really stands out across the entire spectrum of sound. It has a generally warm and smooth signature, while maintaining a great level of clarity and detail. Strikes a nice balance between great performance in the top and bottom end, with the latter being really impressive (especially for the size of the amp) w/strong impact, tightness and accuracy. The mids are full and prominent w/a luscious, but very clear sound--great staging and separation. Vocals and instruments are positioned just right, without a hint of recession and with a mid-to-forward placement. Most impressively in this regard is the weight behind both instruments and vocals, which is very enjoyable. An amp that is very synergistic with most stats and is great at taming brightness while maintaining clarity and detail.

Lastly, what cannot go unstated is the refinement and high level of performance with respect to its size. As a small teaser to be covered in a future post, as some have alluded to, it does indeed capture the heart of the T2 to a lesser degree. With its small footprint, I’m surprised to be able to compare it to the BHSE, let alone see some of the similarities in the T2.

Headamp Blue Hawaii General Overview
The BHSE has an amazing sense of transparency, with very impressive openness, separation, and clarity. It has close to a neutral signature, with a very slight hint of warmth that feels mainly contained to the mids, with excellent high end extension and. The bass is sufficient, and is tight and accurate, but could stand to gain a bit more impact and extension, although I suspect this would take away just a bit from its airiness which is also a stand out factor. The BHSE has a really expansive soundstage and pinpoint imaging which makes it incredibly easy to identify each instrument and aspect of the music.

The Blue Hawaii takes the inherent strengths of electrostatics and really optimizes them further, which can make for an incredible wow factor, especially if you’re looking for an analytical presentation while maintaining a good degree of musicality. (I don’t mean analytical in a bad way, this is something I've loved and do still love about the amp)

Tonality and Timbre

Aeras:

This is probably where the Aeras shines the most. It has an excellent, extremely smooth tonality with a nice warmth and lushness, while still be very detailed, quick, and technically excellent. In many cases, when an amp has a welcomed degree of warmth or lushness, it’s smoothed over at the expense of detail, noticeably slower with a sense of bloat (this was also indeed true with my Woo Wes in comparison to the BHSE). That is not at all the case with the Aeras. In comparison to the BHSE, it is noticeably warmer and has a bit more weight behind the instruments and vocals. This makes for a very addicting sound that you can simply get lost in.

The highs are excellent, but not as extended as with the BHSE. The mids are addictive, with great clarity and prominence. Lastly, the bass is another standout strong suit of the Aeras, with a bit better impact and extension than the BHSE—this is a subtle difference, but does make the BHSE sound a bit flatter/softer in this region.

BHSE:
The BHSE has a generally neutral tonality, that I find seems to have a very slight tint of warmth in the mids and sparkle in the highs. The nature and goal of this amp seems mainly to be to maximize transparency and get out of the way and let the chain and transducers shine—something that I still really love about this amp. In comparison to the Aeras, it’s a bit leaner and that sparkle in the highs can at times also be synonymous with brightness (especially depending on the stat and chain; I suspect that the Dave’s own ruthless transparency exacerbates this at times for me); however, this is the tradeoff for the slight improvement in perceived clarity you may sense with the BHSE.. plus, the light sweetness of the midrange truly balances it all out well.

All the above said, even though the amp takes a more transparent approach, I find the BHSE to absolutely be musical. The mids and highs are truly where it shines (especially the mids though). Although the bass is generally sufficient and feels very accurate and tight, it has always been the one thing I’ve wanted more out of the BHSE, regardless of tubes. It’s just a bit softer overall, with less impact and presence than with the Aeras.

Bottom Line (for me):
Both amps have very enjoyable sound signatures. Given how strongly they both perform technically, I think tonality/timbre is likely the main category that will tip the scale in either favor for someone, based on 1) the headphones they intend to use (I’ll cover more here later), and 2) listening preferences. The Aeras is a bit more lush with an added sense of realism due to the timbre, while the BSHE is a bit more airy and leaner, with a slightly greater sense of clarity due to a bit better extension in the highs. Although I do enjoy both presentations immensely, I will say that the Aeras’ warmth, timbre, and bass makes it a really strong suitor for stats given that so many headphones inherently are brighter, leaner and lighter in bass. But as mentioned, depends on the model. I would personally give it the overall edge here.

Soundstage and Imaging

Aeras:
really good staging from left to right, and even a bit better depth wise. In this regard, the performance is close to the BHSE. I think the BHSE extends just a bit further with width, while the Aeras extends just a bit more with depth. As far as imaging and separation, if we think about across the soundstage, where instruments and sounds are placed, the Aeras has a more intimate presentation, whereas things are a bit more spaced out with the BHSE. From a front to back perspective, it sounds like you’re a bit closer to center stage, with the instruments/musicians being a bit closer to you. Lastly, even though it’s a more intimate presentation, each source of sound can easily and clearly be located across the spectrum similarly to the BHSE.

BHSE:
as mentioned above, the BHSE has an excellent staging and spacing. For me, this is the core strength of the Blue Hawaii, with amazing width and depth, spaciousness and impressive layering within it.. all of which really enhances the perception of detail, as it becomes even easier than with the Aeras to identify every single aspect of the music. As mentioned above, things are a bit more spaced out on the BHSE, which can seem just a bit further away than in the Aeras’ presentation, but the effect is very enjoyable and positive one.

Bottom Line (for me):
Although both amps are excellent here, I’d give the edge to the BHSE. The differences in this category are a bit more subtle than with tonality and timbre, but similar to how those two categories are key strengths for the Aeras, soundstage and imaging are the stand out categories for the BHSE.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2022 at 10:21 AM Post #483 of 1,520
Resolution:

Both amps excel in this regard, and so much so that I don’t see a need to break out this category between the two amps. Both are extremely good with detail retrieval and sound incredibly resolving. The one thing I’d note here is that as mentioned earlier, the BHSE’s spaciousness really compliments the detail retrieval and perception of detail overall. But when evaluating each song for information that should be apparent and distinctly recognizable, it’s all there, in both amps.

Closing Thoughts on Part 1

A few thoughts to share in wrapping up. Again, I must start with the fact that both of these amps perform at such a high level; there were a few times that I forgot to swap to the other and just kept listening lol. They are both that enjoyable and I could easily live with either long term—and I would’ve never explored outside of the BHSE if it weren’t for the SGL Sr. (but more on that at a near future point).

I often mention on this site that every aspect of the sound one could enjoy is directly tied to a tradeoff. This is extremely relevant in comparing these two amps, as each of their unique, greatest strengths are in ways inverses of the other’s. I mention this because I don’t think it’s possible to say that either is better. While they each excel in all technical categories.. the Aeras is the warmer amp, with a more intimate presentation w/slightly denser sound and stronger bass presence; all of which makes for more of a euphoric sound to get lost into. The Blue Hawaii on the other hand, is the more transparent amp, with a great sense of clarity and amazing openness and layering, which is mesmerizing from a technical standpoint.

As many know, the 009 has been one of my favorite headphones and I’ve paired them with the BHSE for the past 3+ years (Woo Wes before that). With mDave this combo is extremely transparent, with an amazing sense of clarity. Same with the HE60, and this chain also livens the 007 a bit (these were the three stats I owned for a long time). Even until this day, I still truly enjoy this sound with the BHSE… there were so many moments in this comparison where I just got lost in the music with it.

However, today, if I had to choose, I’d take the Aeras. It would be a hard choice, but I would mainly do so because it’s pretty close to performance in categories the BHSE excels in, while the added warmth, density of sound and improved bass mates very well with stats in general and the ones I own. In example, the 009 on the Aeras is probably the best I’ve ever heard it (again except on the T2), and I said as such months ago when I first got the Aeras for demo. It desperately makes up for some of the 009’s issues—brightness, leanness, lightness of bass; without taking away from its technical prowess, which is huge. The 009 is a bit more of an extreme example, but the same effect is noticed w/other stats.

Now to my surprise, I found that even warmer stats like the CRBN and even warmer 007 do pair really well with the Aeras, but I do like the BHSE for increasing their energy just a bit. Also, both the CRBN and 007 can stand to gain a bit more openness and spacing, and the BHSE pairs very well with them due to that as well. It would be a much harder choice if these were my primary cans of use.

So again, it all comes down to preference and what you prefer to listen to.. which is a great segue into what I’ll cover next: a comparison between these two amps specifically for synergy with the HE60, CRBN, 007, 009, x9000 and SGL. (btw, I’ve done the comparisons already, just need to do the writing).

Jun 17, 2022 at 10:29 AM Post #484 of 1,520
Excellent review - just perfectly to the point, not too short and not too long winded! Also thanks for not spending half the review describing the packing and build quality :laughing:
Your description of the BHSE is bang-on to my own impressions there, so I know I can trust your other descriptions too.

Jun 17, 2022 at 11:50 AM Post #486 of 1,520
Richard as always a great review.

Do you have any experience with the 009S? As you know I have both that and the X9000 and took delivery of my T2 a few weeks before you did. I find the 009S a d X9000 to be complementary to each other and would not consider getting rid of either. The problem is I have a longing for a 009 as well perhaps the black anniversary edition. I would be curious to know the difference between 009 and 009S on an Aeras or T2.

While the 009 and 009BK are supposed to be identical some have commented they are slightly different?

Jun 17, 2022 at 8:58 PM Post #487 of 1,520
Excellent review - just perfectly to the point, not too short and not too long winded! Also thanks for not spending half the review describing the packing and build quality :laughing:
Your description of the BHSE is bang-on to my own impressions there, so I know I can trust your other descriptions too.

Thank you, I really appreciate that! And lol, yea I figured most just cared about the actual sound. Thanks again for the kind words. :)

I agree, excellent review. I also appreciate that you have (IMO) laid to rest the false claim that the BHSE is a bad match with the CRBN. I know my CRBN sounds great on the BHSE, but I could not compare its performance on the BHSE to other ToTL amps like you did.

Thank you, and yea I very much enjoy the CRBN with the BHSE. It comes down to what people are looking for, but I definitely wouldn't call it a bad match. And if anything, it's pretty easy to see how they would be complimentary. I think maybe if someone just absolutely loves the CRBN's tonality as is, the Aeras could be the better choice, as it's more similar and in line with it.

Richard as always a great review.

Do you have any experience with the 009S? As you know I have both that and the X9000 and took delivery of my T2 a few weeks before you did. I find the 009S a d X9000 to be complementary to each other and would not consider getting rid of either. The problem is I have a longing for a 009 as well perhaps the black anniversary edition. I would be curious to know the difference between 009 and 009S on an Aeras or T2.

While the 009 and 009BK are supposed to be identical some have commented they are slightly different?

Thanks again, I appreciate it as always! I actually haven't heard the 009S. I have the regular 009, but even with it, I also find that it's different enough from the x9000. The things they mainly share are that they're airy and have high technical proficiency, but their tonality and presentation are totally different and make for good compliments.

Btw, I recently just spent a good amount of time with the 007 MK1 and the T2... so incredibly good. It's making me entirely rethink my ranking of it overall. I've always liked it, but was a bit surprised by how much it really sings through the T2. May want to consider if you're looking for additional complements for the 009/x9000.

Jun 17, 2022 at 9:03 PM Post #488 of 1,520
Nice reviews and write-ups @number1sixerfan ! :beerchug:

You're making me very curious about the T2. Are you considering the HE-1? It seems to be the next step after the SGL. The SGL is so good, I just wonder what the HE-1 sounds like, if it's the (potential) pinnacle. I need to fly somewhere and get a demo. Have you heard it?

Jun 17, 2022 at 9:18 PM Post #489 of 1,520
Perhaps we should should pool our money to hire someone to make a bot which spams sennheiser with requests for a headphone only HE1 take on the HE60. Though I suppose that would make quite a few HE1 owners upset, lol.

Jun 17, 2022 at 9:29 PM Post #490 of 1,520
Perhaps we should should pool our money to hire someone to make a bot which spams sennheiser with requests for a headphone only HE1 take on the HE60. Though I suppose that would make quite a few HE1 owners upset, lol.

Just make it 20k instead of 50k and they won't care

Jun 17, 2022 at 9:59 PM Post #491 of 1,520
Nice reviews and write-ups @number1sixerfan ! :beerchug:

You're making me very curious about the T2. Are you considering the HE-1? It seems to be the next step after the SGL. The SGL is so good, I just wonder what the HE-1 sounds like, if it's the (potential) pinnacle. I need to fly somewhere and get a demo. Have you heard it?

And I'm sure the 3ES is amazing. It came down to those two for me, I hope to one day hear it.

I considered the HE-1 and SGL at the same time. The main reason I went SGL is because it can be decoupled from the amp, I really hate the Sennheiser does that. But the other reason was because I consistently read that the soundstage was a bit closed in, in comparison. I don't doubt at all that despite that they probably sound amazing. I think they can be demoed in San Francisco, going to try doing so before moving.

Either way, with the coupling with the amp, I simply can't afford it lol

I would just die for an HE60 updated headphone. This was my first really good stat and I think they were my first TOTL cans--either those or the K1000. Insanely natural midrange and timbre. Amazing highs. I've had three pairs, that's how much I loved them over the years lol

Jun 17, 2022 at 10:01 PM Post #492 of 1,520
Btw, I recently just spent a good amount of time with the 007 MK1 and the T2... so incredibly good. It's making me entirely rethink my ranking of it overall. I've always liked it, but was a bit surprised by how much it really sings through the T2. May want to consider if you're looking for additional complements for the 009/x9000.
I actually purchased a 007MK1 back in December (NOS sourced from Japan). I was never enthralled with it listening via my Carbon and I always preferred my 009S. Once the T2 arrived I tried the 007 again however only twice for brief listens - the X9000 has been getting most of my ltime. I remember it sounding quite a bit better - maybe I need to give it another shot..

Jun 17, 2022 at 10:44 PM Post #493 of 1,520
I agree, excellent review. I also appreciate that you have (IMO) laid to rest the false claim that the BHSE is a bad match with the CRBN. I know my CRBN sounds great on the BHSE, but I could not compare its performance on the BHSE to other ToTL amps like you did.
The CRBN sounds awesome on a BHSE but I can confirm it is better on the Carbon, similar to the 007 it’s better off with more juice.
The SRX9000 I’m not sure about yet.

Jun 18, 2022 at 1:17 PM Post #495 of 1,520
Unfortunately I didn't get to spend much time with T2 & 007 Mk I but quite honestly there is something special there. Incredibly musical, liquid & lush with no notable technical deficiencies standing out to break the spell. I guess I appreciate the 007 more with age. What's the status of your ES-1a btw? I'm coming around to it (just driving with a KGSShv for now) but sometimes wish for a little more treble sparkle there; even the 007 Mk I has more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back