Vintage OG and Present Day TOTL Impressions
Jul 18, 2022 at 1:02 AM Post #526 of 1,520
Thank you! Really looking forward to it. Your HE90 impressions certainly have contributed. :)

Thank you! And yea I've always kept an eye without saying much. Just figured it would never happen lol. And catching them headphones alone w/an adapter was best case scenario for me, stars really aligned :)
What type of adapter?

Jul 18, 2022 at 5:18 AM Post #527 of 1,520
What type of adapter?
I believe that would be the "HE90 to Stax amplifier adapter".

s-l400.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2022 at 11:58 AM Post #528 of 1,520
Maybe its time to edit the title of the thread? Kind of makes no sense.

"Sennheiser the God Orpheus Vs the peasants"
"The God of headphones vs all"
"Sennheiser HE90 vs modern trash" <--- sorry cant help it :p
.... :)

Haha, I know you can't help it. :) But we shall see. Looking forward to giving everything a fair shake and seeing how the x9000 and SGL Sr. particularly fair.

What type of adapter?

HE90 to Stax, so that it can be used with traditional stat amps other than Sennheiser's. I really wish I knew I'd run into a pair, I would've had the T2 built with the HE90 jack directly. Maybe something to inquire about in the future.

Jul 18, 2022 at 12:07 PM Post #529 of 1,520
Haha, I know you can't help it. :) But we shall see. Looking forward to giving everything a fair shake and seeing how the x9000 and SGL Sr. particularly fair.

HE90 to Stax, so that it can be used with traditional stat amps other than Sennheiser's. I really wish I knew I'd run into a pair, I would've had the T2 built with the HE90 jack directly. Maybe something to inquire about in the future.
How does it change the bias voltage to 500 volts that the HE90 require vs the Stax output of 580volts?

Jul 18, 2022 at 12:12 PM Post #530 of 1,520
How does it change the bias voltage to 500 volts that the HE90 require vs the Stax output of 580volts?

I'm pretty sure it doesn't. I know you mentioned that you saw issues previously w/the HE90. Was there a particular thread? I haven't really in the threads I've searched, and again haven't had a single issue w/the HE60 either. But will be reaching out to Kerry prior to pickup to discuss as well.

Jul 18, 2022 at 12:46 PM Post #531 of 1,520
I'm pretty sure it doesn't. I know you mentioned that you saw issues previously w/the HE90. Was there a particular thread? I haven't really in the threads I've searched, and again haven't had a single issue w/the HE60 either. But will be reaching out to Kerry prior to pickup to discuss as well.
It has been discussed quite a bit. You do not want to bias them to 580 volts. They are designed, unfortunately to 500 volts and will not sound right at 580 volts and can possibly be damaged by it. This is why Headamp designed an amp mainly for the HE90 and also the RSA A-10 amp has a socket for them, with a 500 volt bias and a Stax output for 580 volts. You need a transformer output to the right voltage, then regulated. There is the voltage and almost no current used in the bias.

Jul 18, 2022 at 1:14 PM Post #532 of 1,520
@number1sixerfan talk to Van about any voltage issues or concerns with the HE90. I know him personally, he is a guru in this space. He knows more about all the legends plus some than 99% people here. I hope you personally pick it up at his house. And if you do, do not hesitate to ask him kindly to listen to his Omega and R10 and his headphones. This is your chance to hear everything in one shot 😀
@doyouknowSBmean

Jul 18, 2022 at 1:29 PM Post #533 of 1,520
@number1sixerfan talk to Van about any voltage issues or concerns with the HE90. I know him personally, he is a guru in this space. He knows more about all the legends plus some than 99% people here. I hope you personally pick it up at his house. And if you do, do not hesitate to ask him kindly to listen to his Omega and R10 and his headphones. This is your chance to hear everything in one shot 😀
@doyouknowSBmean
I have spoken to two electrostatic amp manufactures about this at length. While I really wanted to be able to use the HE90 at the Stax bias, they both strongly recommend against it as well as everything I have read. But I know how I will treat my HE90 and if someone else wants to use the Stax bias, that is of course, totally up to them. Understanding what the bias does and how it works with the Sennheiser design is what is important and the materials involved.

Jul 18, 2022 at 1:33 PM Post #534 of 1,520
I have spoken to two electrostatic amp manufactures about this at length. While I really wanted to be able to use the HE90 at the Stax bias, they both strongly recommend against it as well as everything I have read. But I know how I will treat my HE90 and if someone else wants to use the Stax bias, that is of course, totally up to them. Understanding what the bias does and how it works with the Sennheiser design is what is important and the materials involved.
Your correct. Yes, I agree with you.

I will only use the HE90 with the HE90V. If only buying the headphone, I will personally only use the aristaeus. There's no if's and but's with me 😀

Jul 18, 2022 at 1:48 PM Post #535 of 1,520
The he90 sounds somewhat anemic with hev90, though. Not something I can easily enjoy. Like with OG R10 - no good for rock. For years, almost every amp I've seen of Purk's has a dedicated Sennheiser jack & bias, along with Stax Pro jack. I always think "damn I'd rather have a 2nd Stax jack there", and by now I've gotten stuck with a couple of his old amps with those he90 jacks lol - I never intend to acquire an he90.

Jul 18, 2022 at 1:54 PM Post #536 of 1,520
The he90 sounds somewhat anemic with hev90, though. Not something I can easily enjoy. Like with OG R10 - no good for rock. For years, almost every amp I've seen of Purk's has a dedicated Sennheiser jack & bias, along with Stax Pro jack. I always think "damn I'd rather have a 2nd Stax jack there", and by now I've gotten stuck with a couple of his old amps with those he90 jacks lol - I never intend to acquire an he90.
Yes, the HEV90 needs to be reworked and by now, would need to be recapped most likely but better caps. I don't understand why they did what they did. Underpowered and they hobbled the HE90. Some say the HE90 lack some bass, and if heard from the HEV90, I would agree. But from a well done amp, very normal and decent bass inline with the rest of the frequency range. With a good amp the HE90 and the R10 do a great job. Love the sound of the R10, very distinct.

Jul 18, 2022 at 1:55 PM Post #537 of 1,520
again haven't had a single issue w/the HE60 either.

I think @jamato8 made a good point. Also just my 2 cent.. HE60 does have different intended bias voltage from HE90 (540V if I recall correctly; so the difference from Stax voltage 580V is not too huge).

Looking at iFi's solution offers adjustable bias voltage (iESL), I think it's likely doable for Kerry to change one of the two headphone outputs of T2 for HE90's 500V.

Jul 18, 2022 at 2:49 PM Post #538 of 1,520
I think @jamato8 made a good point. Also just my 2 cent.. HE60 does have different intended bias voltage from HE90 (540V if I recall correctly; so the difference from Stax voltage 580V is not too huge).

Looking at iFi's solution offers adjustable bias voltage (iESL), I think it's likely doable for Kerry to change one of the two headphone outputs of T2 for HE90's 500V.

Absolutely appreciate @jamato8 bringing it up. I was going to check in with Kerry first either way, but I really appreciate all of the feedback from everyone. :)

But I forgot that Spritzer built the adapter, so I figured he would've included the additional resistor to make it safe for use with other amps. Just reached out to the seller and he confirmed that he indeed did include a 5M ballast resistor in the plug. Please let me know if anyone still has any questions here, I truly appreciate it.

At the same time, heard back from Kerry and will likely have my T2 updated at some point to naturally support the HE90. But I'll commit to this after I've already spent some time with them.

Jul 18, 2022 at 2:52 PM Post #539 of 1,520
Absolutely appreciate @jamato8 bringing it up. I was going to check in with Kerry first either way, but I really appreciate all of the feedback from everyone. :)

But I forgot that Spritzer built the adapter, so I figured he would've included the additional resistor to make it safe for use with other amps. Just reached out to the seller and he confirmed that he indeed did include a 5M ballast resistor in the plug. Please let me know if anyone still has any questions here, I truly appreciate it.

At the same time, heard back from Kerry and will likely have my T2 updated at some point to naturally support the HE90. But I'll commit to this after I've already spent some time with them.
The resistor is not the answer. And it was put forth that maybe a 10 meg ohm would work better but just like a resistor divider, does not hold the voltage correctly. I would not use this method.

Jul 18, 2022 at 3:04 PM Post #540 of 1,520
The resistor is not the answer. And it was put forth that maybe a 10 meg ohm would work better but just like a resistor divider, does not hold the voltage correctly. I would not use this method.

Gotcha, I think I'll reach out to Spritzer directly for input here. Based on the screenshot the seller sent to me, he directly mentioned that it makes for safe usage. Also, the seller used this adapter with a T1s prior.

But I think in any case, there's a bit of risk or sub-optimal solutions until the T2 is actually updated (certainly that wouldn't be able to be done soon). The other option is to buy the Aristaeus, which I'm potentially considering, but am not sold on. Will continue to think about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back