Questyle QP1
Nov 27, 2015 at 6:54 PM Post #2,626 of 4,272
So what formats can be played thru the optical out ?

I think it played everything into my Denon AVR including DSD's . Out of town at the inlaws so I can't test it. 

Nov 27, 2015 at 6:55 PM Post #2,627 of 4,272
I gotta say the QP1R with the Ether-C's is just getting better and better.

Nov 28, 2015 at 6:04 PM Post #2,632 of 4,272
Where does the QP1R fall in terms of SQ? I'm coming ZX2, N6, P1, AK100ii, Lotoo Paw Gold, DX90 and would like to try something new. I was going to go for the Chord Mojo but after reading reviews on the QP1R, I'm starting to change my mind.

Is the QPR1 a challenger to the AK240 and 380 from a sound point only?

I'm in the same boat. I'm a newbie so looks like I'm going to have to read all 173 pages here. But bottom line Are folks here using this dap without an amp. Is the amp competitive with say an ifi product? MOre specifically, is the amp robust enough to drive full size cans and not just IEMS?

I was thinking of going chord Hugo plus dap as and end game. But if the amp in the QPR is all that maybe I have to look at this as a viable alternative

Nov 28, 2015 at 6:19 PM Post #2,633 of 4,272
I'm in the same boat. I'm anew so looks like I'm going to have to read all 173 pages here. But bottom line Are folks here using this dap without an amp. Is the amp competitive with say an ifi product

I was thinking of going chord Hugo plus dap as and end game. But if the amp in the QPR is all that maybe I have to look at this as a viable alternative

I am not using an amp with my Ether-C's or HE-400S's. My Alpha Dogs could use a little help but for now I find it just fine on power. Only when I use a little EQ do the Dogs need a little help but not by much. On SQ it is by far the best I've heard. I didn't spend much time on the AK that Dan Clark had at the spring meet (with the Ether's ) in Nashville but I think this was better.

Nov 28, 2015 at 10:06 PM Post #2,635 of 4,272
Wow is what I say every time I turn it on.

Nov 29, 2015 at 4:42 AM Post #2,636 of 4,272
I'm in the same boat. I'm a newbie so looks like I'm going to have to read all 173 pages here. But bottom line Are folks here using this dap without an amp. Is the amp competitive with say an ifi product? MOre specifically, is the amp robust enough to drive full size cans and not just IEMS?

Using my QP1R unamped with IEMs and my full-sized HPs. It has plenty of power but the SQ is the icing on the cake. Early on I was told by Bruce at Questyle that while amps like the Mojo provide more "loudness" they really hinder the amp section of the QP1R which contributes to its unique SQ. Amps add things that alter the sound of this great DAP...not necessary IMO of course.

Nov 29, 2015 at 5:30 AM Post #2,637 of 4,272

It's the only DAP that doesn't benefit from an amp.
I have tried a number of amps and you lose some of the wonderful SQ.
The Mojo is a good buy if you have a number of DAPs already.
I use the Mojo with my AK100 and 240 and it's very good.
The QP1R on its own is better.

Nov 29, 2015 at 5:33 AM Post #2,638 of 4,272
Yup. There are losses involved with dig transmission between devices in terms of clock recovery, jitter and bandwidth. If the internal DAC utilization is already excellent and the amp better than what you're hooking up to, this result is not surprising. Mojo is a great piece for making PCs and other DAPs better with it's size and overall performance but it's a waste for the QP1r.

Nov 29, 2015 at 6:18 AM Post #2,639 of 4,272
Using my QP1R unamped with IEMs and my full-sized HPs. It has plenty of power but the SQ is the icing on the cake. Early on I was told by Bruce at Questyle that while amps like the Mojo provide more "loudness" they really hinder the amp section of the QP1R which contributes to its unique SQ. Amps add things that alter the sound of this great DAP...not necessary IMO of course.

To be more accurate the Mojo is a DAC with headphone output, not an amp. You can't use it as an amp only as it has no traditional separate amp section from the DACs discrete analogue output.

3. The lack of DAC RF OP noise means that the analogue section can be made radically simpler as the analogue filter requirements are smaller. Now in analogue terms, making it simpler, with everything else being constant, gives more transparency. You really can hear every solder joint, every passive component, and every active stage. Now Hugo has a single active stage - a very high performance op-amp with a discrete op-stage as a hybrid with a single global feedback path. This arrangement means that you have a single active stage, two resistors and two capacitors in the direct signal path -  and that is it. Note: there is no headphone drive. Normal high performance DAC's have 3 op-amp stages, followed by a separate headphone amp. So to conclude - Hugo's analogue path is not a simple couple of op-amps chucked together, it is fundamentally simpler than all other headphone amp solutions.

This brings me on to my biggest annoyance - the claim that Hugo's amp is merely good. Firstly, no body can possibly know how good the headphone amp in Hugo is, because there is not a separate headphone stage as such - its integrated into the DAC function directly. You can't remove the sound of the headphone amp from the sound of the DAC, it's one and the same.

Yup. There are losses involved with dig transmission between devices in terms of clock recovery, jitter and bandwidth. If the internal DAC utilization is already excellent and the amp better than what you're hooking up to, this result is not surprising. Mojo is a great piece for making PCs and other DAPs better with it's size and overall performance but it's a waste for the QP1.

I continue to read these amazing praises for the QP1R since it's been announced, and they're all over the place now! I really, REALLY need to try one out. I only wish Canada had a better dealer network so I could test one out before purchasing. Well, when has that stopped me before? Hahaha!! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back