Questyle QP1
Jul 4, 2015 at 4:58 PM Post #676 of 4,272
Here are my condensed impressions and photos (not sure if I'm going to write a full review).

I listened to the QP1/QP1R and another Questyle DAP (QP1S [fantasy product, won't talk about it, but the version I heard is amazing]) at T.H.E. Show Newport, and it performed very well with regards to power (QP1/QP1S) and overall sound quality (QP1R and QP1S) compared to other DAPs in the market such as the AK Jr, AK240, AK380, PonoPlayer, and others.  I performed A/B/etc. listening for several hours over the course of three days.

T.H.E. Show Newport's pimped-out rides

The view from Questyle's hotel room

Questyle QP1 Gold attached to HIFIMAN HE1000 Beta, and
Questyle QP1R Silver attached to Atomic Floyd SuperDarts Titanium + Remote

QP1R and QP1

Front of QP1R and Back of QP1

Back of QP1R and Back of QP1

Back of QP1

Back of QP1R

The colorful view of the QP1R's screen

Different angle of the QP1R's screen

QP1 and QP1R's colorful screens

The QP1 and QP1R screens dim as well

Another view of the QP1 and QP1R

A view of the QP1 and QP1R - underside

Another view of the QP1 and QP1R - underside

The different designs of the QP1 and QP1R's volume knobs

Slightly different angle of the different designs of the QP1 and QP1R's volume knobs

The QP1 and QP1R's power buttons - side view

My HE1000 beta (I currently own the production version) on the Woo Audio headphone stand

QP1S (intentionally dimmed/smoked screen for previous event)

Rear of QP1S

QP1 and QP1S

HE1000 beta plugged into AK380 attached to AK dock

AK380 attached to AK380 amp

Another view of the AK380 attached to AK380 amp

HE1000 beta plugged into AK Jr

Back of AK Jr

Jason Wang - Questyle

Questyle WinBook offer

Jason taking pictures of the WinBook

Front view of the WinBook

Bruce Ball - Questyle

Comparing sizes of tablet and WinBook

I'll be able to give more in-depth impressions and comparisons once I am able to hopefully pick up the QP1 from the Valley (southern California) headquarters personally.

Jul 4, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #677 of 4,272
  Here are my condensed impressions and photos (not sure if I'm going to write a full review).

I listened to the QP1/QP1R and another Questyle DAP (QP1S [fantasy product, won't talk about it, but the version I heard is amazing]) at T.H.E. Show Newport, and it performed very well with regards to power (QP1/QP1S) and overall sound quality (QP1R and QP1S) compared to other DAPs in the market such as the AK Jr, AK240, AK380, PonoPlayer, and others.  I performed A/B/etc. listening for several hours over the course of three days.
T.H.E. Show Newport's pimped-out rides

The view from Questyle's hotel room

Questyle QP1 Gold attached to HIFIMAN HE1000 Beta, and
Questyle QP1R Silver attached to Atomic Floyd Superdarts Titanium + Remote

QP1R and QP1

Front of QP1R and Back of QP1

Back of QP1R and Back of QP1

Back of QP1

Back of QP1R

The colorful view of the QP1R's screen

Different angle of the QP1R's screen

QP1 and QP1R's colorful screens

The QP1 and QP1R screens dim as well

Another view of the QP1 and QP1R

A view of the QP1 and QP1R - underside

Another view of the QP1 and QP1R - underside

The different designs of the QP1 and QP1R's volume knobs

Slightly different angle of the different designs of the QP1 and QP1R's volume knobs

The QP1 and QP1R's power buttons - side view

My HE1000 beta (I currently own the production version) on the Woo Audio headphone stand

QP1S (intentionally dimmed/smoked screen for previous event)

Rear of QP1S

QP1 and QP1S

HE1000 beta plugged into AK380 attached to AK dock

AK380 attached to AK380 amp

Another view of the AK380 attached to AK380 amp

HE1000 beta plugged into AK Jr

Back of AK Jr

Jason Wang - Questyle

Questyle WinBook offer

Jason taking pictures of the WinBook

Front view of the WinBook

Bruce Ball - Questyle

Comparing sizes of tablet and WinBook

I'll be able to give more in-depth impressions and comparisons once I am able to hopefully pick up the QP1 from the Valley (southern California) headquarters personally.

Thank you for sharing, my friend. You're only serving to fuel my internal hype train.

Jul 4, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #678 of 4,272

Thank you for sharing, my friend. You're only serving to fuel my internal hype train.

Much thanks to you!

Hype train, you say...

Jul 5, 2015 at 1:21 AM Post #682 of 4,272
Great stuff. The pictures say a lot. How did the QP1 stack up against AK players in terms of overall SQ? If you can remember that is. 

Thanks for the kind words.

The QP1 performs well against not just the AK series, but all of the DAPs I've listened to - but since the QP1R sounded slightly better to me than the QP1, I chose the QP1R out of the QP1 and QP1R as being the one that sounded the best compared to the AK series.

To put things in perspective, in my opinion, the power differences/volume out between the QP1 and QP1R are a lot more significant (around twice the volume output from the QP1 to the HE1000 beta compared to the QP1R's volume output) than the perceived sound quality differences between the QP1 and QP1R.

Jul 5, 2015 at 5:09 AM Post #683 of 4,272

The QP1 performs well against not just the AK series, but all of the DAPs I've listened to - but since the QP1R sounded slightly better to me than the QP1, I chose the QP1R out of the QP1 and QP1R as being the one that sounded the best compared to the AK series.

To put things in perspective, in my opinion, the power differences/volume out between the QP1 and QP1R are a lot more significant (around twice the volume output from the QP1 to the HE1000 beta compared to the QP1R's volume output) than the perceived sound quality differences between the QP1 and QP1R.
Your statement makes me hopeful, with the fact that my gamble going with the QP1R just might pay off. It is difficult for guys like me to just read stuff and pull the trigger as there is no community here or any organised system to make meets and shows happen here in India.

Jul 5, 2015 at 10:21 AM Post #684 of 4,272

Great stuff. The pictures say a lot. How did the QP1 stack up against AK players in terms of overall SQ? If you can remember that is. 

We've all waited a long time for the 1/1R.  Would it be inapropriate to ask if the 1S might just be worth waiting a bit longer?  Or am I overstepping?

Jul 5, 2015 at 12:24 PM Post #685 of 4,272
Hi All, I'm posting my brief impression of the QP1R here as I did manage to briefly audition them at the Kuala Lumpur Audio Video Show in Malaysia last friday.
This impression is more towards the hardware than the actual DAP SQ as written above is comparable to the TOTL DAPs in the market right now. Not as neutral as the AK's but it definitely has a musical type character which I liked.
However, I'm rather disappointed with the hardware side of things. I'm not sure if my impressions are just me being fickle but in terms of practicality and functionality, these 2 items are hindering me from committing to the pre-order.

1) The volume dial. It seems somewhat loose and flimsy. Like a cheaply made knob that's not been fitted professionally. The argument is that the give and looseness is designed such that you don't accidentally blast your ears to kingdom come by an accidental twist of the volume knob. What this means is that you may turn the knob multiple rotations to only increase the volume slightly. This option provides a lot less precision when it comes to volume control though the idea does have its merits.

2) The spin dial selector. The spin dial selector actually requires a slight force applied to it before it can actually process any input. My initial use of it saw me spinning the dial round and round without being able to select or move through the menu. Only via trial and error was I able to confirm the proper use of the dial. This is a nifty feature, but however it is flawed due to the fact of the close proximity of the spin dial with the capacitive touch sensitive button located at the 2, 4, 8, 10 o"clock positions. There has been numerous occasions whereby I've accidentally clicked 'back'or énter' and had to redo my selection.

Do note that these are my own impressions and you may a different perspective from me. Also the software may be a little unpolished. The version on the demo unit was 0.06 Beta.

Hope this is useful for those who are interested with the QP1 as I am.

Cheers

Jul 5, 2015 at 2:45 PM Post #687 of 4,272
After doing some research on some Japanese sites, seems that the QP1s is coporated with Audeze for more output power

From my understanding it's going to be a long wait before we learn hard specifics about the QP1S. I'm sure I'll be very happy with my QP1R and if/when the QP1S makes it to market maybe I'll upgrade at that time. I see little sense waiting for a product that has no guarantee it'll make it to market. Questyle is still prototyping and may end up going a different route, who knows?

Jul 5, 2015 at 3:08 PM Post #688 of 4,272
  Hi All, I'm posting my brief impression of the QP1R here as I did manage to briefly audition them at the Kuala Lumpur Audio Video Show in Malaysia last friday.
This impression is more towards the hardware than the actual DAP SQ as written above is comparable to the TOTL DAPs in the market right now. Not as neutral as the AK's but it definitely has a musical type character which I liked.
However, I'm rather disappointed with the hardware side of things. I'm not sure if my impressions are just me being fickle but in terms of practicality and functionality, these 2 items are hindering me from committing to the pre-order.

1) The volume dial. It seems somewhat loose and flimsy. Like a cheaply made knob that's not been fitted professionally. The argument is that the give and looseness is designed such that you don't accidentally blast your ears to kingdom come by an accidental twist of the volume knob. What this means is that you may turn the knob multiple rotations to only increase the volume slightly. This option provides a lot less precision when it comes to volume control though the idea does have its merits.

2) The spin dial selector. The spin dial selector actually requires a slight force applied to it before it can actually process any input. My initial use of it saw me spinning the dial round and round without being able to select or move through the menu. Only via trial and error was I able to confirm the proper use of the dial. This is a nifty feature, but however it is flawed due to the fact of the close proximity of the spin dial with the capacitive touch sensitive button located at the 2, 4, 8, 10 o"clock positions. There has been numerous occasions whereby I've accidentally clicked 'back'or énter' and had to redo my selection.

Do note that these are my own impressions and you may a different perspective from me. Also the software may be a little unpolished. The version on the demo unit was 0.06 Beta.

Hope this is useful for those who are interested with the QP1 as I am.

Cheers

I have been assured that the loose volume knobs on some of the prototypes and production samples were due to a manufacturing error and will not be a problem with the actual units. On latter units the dial has been raised so that your thumb shouldn't come in contact with the capacitive buttons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back