Questyle CMA800 Current Mode amp
Feb 10, 2014 at 9:36 AM Post #244 of 757

Really?
Did you do a side by side comparison or just by memory?

Curious here as well, everyone is raving about Studio Six. Though it's fair to say that those are different beasts from what I've read and what I know so far.

Feb 10, 2014 at 10:04 AM Post #245 of 757
I've seen the rave reviews, but also some pretty scathing criticism of the Studio Six, from a design point of view. There are always differing schools of thought on this stuff... but if I recall correctly the main issue was the output transformers being decidedly pedestrian for a $5k amp. 

Feb 10, 2014 at 12:28 PM Post #246 of 757
I've seen the rave reviews, but also some pretty scathing criticism of the Studio Six, from a design point of view. There are always differing schools of thought on this stuff... but if I recall correctly the main issue was the output transformers being decidedly pedestrian for a $5k amp. 

Yes, but have you heard the Studio Six yourself?

Feb 11, 2014 at 10:16 AM Post #249 of 757
If im not wrong output transformer plays a significant role in shaping the sound based on my experience wuth tinkering with guitar amps

Very true. There's even some science behind it. Generally speaking at these really high prices people have come to expect Lundahls or others using somewhat exotic materials - Mu-metal, Permalloy, that sort of thing.

Again, I haven't heard the Studio Six, so this is all theoretical for me. 

Feb 12, 2014 at 9:46 AM Post #250 of 757

Very true. There's even some science behind it. Generally speaking at these really high prices people have come to expect Lundahls or others using somewhat exotic materials - Mu-metal, Permalloy, that sort of thing.

the Studio six is now 4k and talking of output transformers, there is very little talk about the audionote kits HE-6 headphone amp. Now those are some quality output transformers. http://www.ankaudiokits.com/he6headamp.html
However, I guess availability is questionable since they are not there in the store part of the website.

Feb 14, 2014 at 1:00 AM Post #251 of 757
Read the past couple pages, so I'll just keep it short. I have just one simple question. Is this truly endgame caliber for the HD800?

Feb 14, 2014 at 6:58 AM Post #252 of 757

If im not wrong output transformer plays a significant role in shaping the sound based on my experience wuth tinkering with guitar amps

It's OT, but I gather that the transformers were selected because more expensive ones didn't provide any significant benefit.

Feb 14, 2014 at 11:24 AM Post #253 of 757
  Read the past couple pages, so I'll just keep it short. I have just one simple question. Is this truly endgame caliber for the HD800?

IMO for the money - yes.

Feb 14, 2014 at 11:47 AM Post #254 of 757
IMO for the money - yes.

Well the Crack I have is supposed to be one of the best for the money for the HD800, but I don't think anyone will say it's endgame. I know there are amps better than Questyle for HD800, but could you be satisfied with the pairing if you never had access to another amp?

Feb 14, 2014 at 12:54 PM Post #255 of 757
Well the Crack I have is supposed to be one of the best for the money for the HD800, but I don't think anyone will say it's endgame. I know there are amps better than Questyle for HD800, but could you be satisfied with the pairing if you never had access to another amp?

Maybe balanced Beta22 of solid state amps are better than Questyle for the money?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back