Questyle CMA800 Current Mode amp
Jan 24, 2014 at 3:32 PM Post #211 of 757
  Hey good folks :) 

Anyone tried LCD3 with Questyle to see if it has good synergy ? 

I have HD800 and don't know if i should get LCD3 or TH900 
tongue_smile.gif

Curious about this as well as I have had my eye on LCD3 for a long time now.

I did try out my HE-500 with the CMA800R and honestly I didn't really care for it, especially in comparison to the way the HD800 sounds with this amp.

Jan 24, 2014 at 4:00 PM Post #212 of 757
Does anyone read these threads from the beginning for information?

Again, my LCD-2.2 cans are my favorite pairing with the CMA-800.

Aaand, there's even my comparison between the CMA-800 and the HPA-21 somewhere back there. This thread is a worthwhile read as a precondition to asking questions.

Maybe we need a FAQ post. Who owns this thread, Haidar?  I don't think he's even posted since its beginning.

Jan 24, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #215 of 757
Jacal01 i have been Reading these whole thread :wink: lots of People say LCD2 & LCD3 are different and both May not work on the same AMP.

Jan 24, 2014 at 4:56 PM Post #216 of 757
I haven't actually tried the LCD-3, but everything I've read indicates the the Audeze house sound remains the same.  In fact, early LCD-3 reviewers had trouble distinguishing between the 2 models to justify the increase in price.  Later reviewers have gotten more adroit at this, tho. 
wink.gif

The difference in the LCD impedances (45Ω vs. 60Ω) may be of some significance for the CMA-800R's voltage driven output, however.

Jan 25, 2014 at 5:23 AM Post #217 of 757
I read the reviews, I want to buy two amps to connect in dual mono or take one amp.
I would like to take an interest, what advantages in using two amplifiers CM800R in dual mono in comparing to using one device CM800?
Thanks

Jan 25, 2014 at 8:46 AM Post #218 of 757
long story made short just received mine yesterday......plug in power with Australia plug.....nothing complain...change to 220v...nothing. Over month wait. Must be fuse?

I too had exactly the same issue when I bought my first Questyle amp. Before sending it back, I offered to replace the internal fuses to try and save the hassle of replacing it, but they wanted it back with the fault present. After testing, they told me the issue WAS the fuses after all.

As it happens, this worked out right for me, as the original amplifier was the old CMA800, which was changed for the CMA800R. However, it does suggest the same issue is there. It may be worth your while replacing the internal fuses. It could be they are a low quality?

Jan 27, 2014 at 2:33 PM Post #219 of 757
6moons final site of CMA800R review can be found, well, you know where. I didn't want to take risk and put direct link. Anyway, Srajan is "LCD guy", and he sees CMA800R as a magnifying glass, which is hard to deny at this point, at least my ears are telling me the same thing.

Jan 27, 2014 at 3:51 PM Post #220 of 757
I agree with the transparency-to-source portion of his review. Maybe not the bits about the "lack of humanity" and all that... but I suppose I see where he's going with it. Not so sure about his blanket recommendation for Grado and Audio Technicas though. While I love the CMA800(R) with the PS-500, I dislike it with PS-1000 and would probably hate it with an SR-325i. I imagine Audio Technica would be equally hit or miss.... not sure I'd like the W1000x for example, where I prefer some warm coloration. 

He should make sure to fix the parts that call it Soundquest and Questsound rather than Questyle. I hate to critique a fellow writer and we all screw up now and again, but multiple times in different ways points to a lack of concern.

Also, for a guy who supposedly loves warmer, smoother sound, I can't reconcile his love of the beyer T5p. 

Jan 27, 2014 at 5:32 PM Post #221 of 757
Is LCD3 generally considered to be the more resolving of the Audeze phones?

I would love to find a pair of planar phones I can enjoy and keep as my default phones. I used the HE-500 for a long time but was often somewhat less than impressed with what was an overly thick sound, and to compensate I ended up the the HD-800 which are of course have their own problems in the other direction. Both can sound excellent in their own way, but often their shortcomings can be quite fatiguing for me. There is a part of me that wonders if LCD3 is the middle ground. 

Jan 27, 2014 at 5:54 PM Post #222 of 757
  Is LCD3 generally considered to be the more resolving of the Audeze phones?

I would love to find a pair of planar phones I can enjoy and keep as my default phones. I used the HE-500 for a long time but was often somewhat less than impressed with what was an overly thick sound, and to compensate I ended up the the HD-800 which are of course have their own problems in the other direction. Both can sound excellent in their own way, but often their shortcomings can be quite fatiguing for me. There is a part of me that wonders if LCD3 is the middle ground. 

LCD-3 is somewhat more resolving and neutral than LCD-2. Still has that signature Audeze tone though. If you find HE-500 overly thick, then LCD-3 may be too much, even if it's more balanced than LCD-2. But it's worth a try.

Have you tried HE-6? It is very picky about amps but does quite well with CMA800R. 

Jan 27, 2014 at 6:42 PM Post #223 of 757
  I agree with the transparency-to-source portion of his review. Maybe not the bits about the "lack of humanity" and all that... but I suppose I see where he's going with it. Not so sure about his blanket recommendation for Grado and Audio Technicas though. While I love the CMA800(R) with the PS-500, I dislike it with PS-1000 and would probably hate it with an SR-325i. I imagine Audio Technica would be equally hit or miss.... not sure I'd like the W1000x for example, where I prefer some warm coloration. 

He should make sure to fix the parts that call it Soundquest and Questsound rather than Questyle. I hate to critique a fellow writer and we all screw up now and again, but multiple times in different ways points to a lack of concern.

Also, for a guy who supposedly loves warmer, smoother sound, I can't reconcile his love of the beyer T5p. 

Good points there. Overall I understand his point of view as well but there's not a word about excellent synergy with HD 800, and that's one very huge advantage of CMA800R even in comparison to much pricier bricks, one of key features of that particular amp. 

Maybe if I had somewhere nearby that 6000$+ Crayon amp he mentioned earlier (he wrote it's the same sound signature as HPA-21 and CMA800R), I'd be biased to a degree that I couldn't give CMA800R proper credit, and maybe that's what happened, but that's guessing from my side.

"Humanity lacking" in Srajans review was a bit odd for me too, as CMA800R for my ears delivers lots of smoothness as well, therefore his statement is off the table for me. But it's hard not to agree that there are thicker and fuller sounding amps out there, and I believe that's where Srajan went with his work. But, once again, maybe it's about reference he had nearby.

Jan 29, 2014 at 12:23 AM Post #225 of 757

LCD-3 is somewhat more resolving and neutral than LCD-2. Still has that signature Audeze tone though. If you find HE-500 overly thick, then LCD-3 may be too much, even if it's more balanced than LCD-2. But it's worth a try.

Have you tried HE-6? It is very picky about amps but does quite well with CMA800R. 

Got my hands on the LCD-X and am setting it up now. After a quick listen I think I may have gotten lucky with these..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back