Questyle CMA600i first impressions thread
Sep 12, 2016 at 4:14 PM Post #46 of 553
I've recently had the chance to listen to the CMA600i with an Audeze LCD-4, OPPO PM-3, and ENIGMAcoustics Dharma D1000.

Overall I'm pretty impressed with the unit. I find it to render the soundstage and imaging really well compared to what I'm used to with the LH Labs products (Pulse X Infinity and Geek Out V2+), while also having a very clean bass response with authority and a treble response that's not grainy-sounding.

As a DAC, the CMA600i's Pure DSD output sounds cleaner than any DSD DAC I've heard so far. It was pretty phenomenal as I actually listened through a few of my DSD tracks in entirety, which I usually don't do. It's a lot smoother-sounding compared the ESS DACs I've heard.

As an amp, it can power most headphones for the most part. Using sensitive in-ears, I heard no background hiss, but I wasn't able to use the volume knob very much before it got too loud, so I wish there was a gain switch. Then for larger headphones, it was fine, but I still didn't need to turn the volume knob past 10 o'clock. That being said, I hope to hear the HE1000 on the CMA600i some day as that headphone can really scale well with an amp, and it would be a nice comparison to make since I've heard it with the CMA800r before.

For a Class A amp, this thing doesn't get very warm at all. I was surprised when I felt it after a few hours of use.

I've had mine for a few weeks now. Really enjoying it. Surprised its not gotten more attention on here. Vary capable unit for the price. Threw a lot of different headphones at it (HD800, LCD-X, Ether, Elear, d1000) and they all sound great. Really impressed with how the 800's sound as they usually don't like solid state amps.

Few issues are with the USB. Lot of pops and cracks when switching sources and various operational use. Hopefully they'll iron this out with software updates. Also the volume knob is really horribly marked. You have to be right in front of the unit in good lighting to actually see it.

Sep 12, 2016 at 4:56 PM Post #47 of 553
I've had mine for a few weeks now. Really enjoying it. Surprised its not gotten more attention on here. Vary capable unit for the price. Threw a lot of different headphones at it (HD800, LCD-X, Ether, Elear, d1000) and they all sound great. Really impressed with how the 800's sound as they usually don't like solid state amps.

Few issues are with the USB. Lot of pops and cracks when switching sources and various operational use. Hopefully they'll iron this out with software updates. Also the volume knob is really horribly marked. You have to be right in front of the unit in good lighting to actually see it.

Oh yeah the volume knob is kinda weird like that. You pretty much have to look at it dead-on to see the markings. >.>

The pops/clicks might be a problem with the USB interface/DAC chip. At least with my experience with LH Labs' products, in which the pop/click is pretty infamous, they can update that that through firmware for the DAC chip; it has to do with the DAC chip's "soft mute" feature I believe.

http://www.akm.com/akm/en/file/datasheet/AK4490EQ.pdf

Sep 22, 2016 at 7:22 PM Post #48 of 553

I am thinking about getting elear and 600i, would you say this is a great combo? If not what other amp/dac would you recommend at this price range?

Sep 22, 2016 at 10:06 PM Post #49 of 553
  I am thinking about getting elear and 600i, would you say this is a great combo? If not what other amp/dac would you recommend at this price range?

I think it is a good combo. The SE outputs are a little weak on the 600i, but that's to be expected in a balanced amp. I've got a balanced cable coming for my Elear, should really take the pairing to another level.

Here's a new review from Audio-Head. Agree with a lot of what he has to say about it: http://audio-head.com/questyle-cma-600i-review/

Sep 23, 2016 at 3:53 PM Post #50 of 553

I think it is a good combo. The SE outputs are a little weak on the 600i, but that's to be expected in a balanced amp. I've got a balanced cable coming for my Elear, should really take the pairing to another level.

Here's a new review from Audio-Head. Agree with a lot of what he has to say about it: http://audio-head.com/questyle-cma-600i-review/

Just curious:  Did you ever get to try out the CMA-800i?  I'm wondering if there's a major difference.

Sep 23, 2016 at 4:01 PM Post #51 of 553

Just curious:  Did you ever get to try out the CMA-800i?  I'm wondering if there's a major difference.

Although i didnt hear any of them, according to my little research, 800i is about 20-25% percent better than 600i based on what the company stated. But I really doubt rookie like me will notice any drastic change.

Sep 23, 2016 at 4:35 PM Post #53 of 553
And how did you come up with this quantifiable 20-25% change exactly? : p

I saw somewhere where Queststyle stated that they tried to make 600i at least 75% of 800i and half the cost. The part that is bugging me is if I buy it will it be compatible with my windows 10 since some people complained about the malfunction software. in addition the dac/amp market is changing so rapidly which freaks me out. 

Sep 24, 2016 at 1:03 AM Post #54 of 553

Hi, wondering what balanced cable you chose from?

Sep 25, 2016 at 9:56 PM Post #55 of 553
  Hi, wondering what balanced cable you chose from?

Norne Solv-X. 

Trevor is a real pleasure to deal with, I highly recommend them if you want an aftermarket cable and want great craftsmanship and awesome service.

Oct 7, 2016 at 6:29 AM Post #56 of 553
interested in this and the burson conductor v2+ but reviews for both units are in short supply currently. has anyone here compared them? it's a long shot i know.

Oct 10, 2016 at 6:25 PM Post #57 of 553
Hey Guys! Bruce here from Questyle.

We had a phenomenal CanJam RMAF this year and the CMA600i was the "Rock Star" of the show for us! We sold quite a few of them and it got a great response from all the people who listened to it.

We had headphones from Audeze (LCD4's, Sine & LCDXC), Focal (Utopias), Sennheiser (HD800's), ENIGMAcoustics (Dharma), HiFi Man (Edition X), Massdrop (TH-X00 with custom E-MU Ebony cups), E-MU (Teak's), Meze (99 Classics), Mr. Speakers (Closed Flow), Sonus Faber (Pryma) & Base Audio running on 3 CMA600i's. We are expecting some great impressions from the show as it was a big hit!

There are also several reviews coming in the next few weeks from most of the usual players in the Press! We've seen a few of them already and they are really good! We even have a Product of the Year or two awards coming on it!!

As to the popping issue some are experiencing, as pointed out, it is a known issue with the AKM chip and we are looking into what can be done about it.

We are also working on putting together a review tour. If interested, please PM me or Netforce.

And now for some pics from CanJam @ RMAF!

Oct 10, 2016 at 6:37 PM Post #58 of 553
thanks for stopping by bruce and i look forward to reading the reviews. i understand that the cma600i is a balanced amp and my cans are single ended. can you explain how the circuit operates for single ended amplification? thanks.

Oct 11, 2016 at 8:40 PM Post #59 of 553
Hey Guys! Bruce here from Questyle.

We had a phenomenal CanJam RMAF this year and the CMA600i was the "Rock Star" of the show for us! We sold quite a few of them and it got a great response from all the people who listened to it.

We had headphones from Audeze (LCD4's, Sine & LCDXC), Focal (Utopias), Sennheiser (HD800's), ENIGMAcoustics (Dharma), HiFi Man (Edition X), Massdrop (TH-X00 with custom E-MU Ebony cups), E-MU (Teak's), Meze (99 Classics), Mr. Speakers (Closed Flow), Sonus Faber (Pryma) & Base Audio running on 3 CMA600i's. We are expecting some great impressions from the show as it was a big hit!

There are also several reviews coming in the next few weeks from most of the usual players in the Press! We've seen a few of them already and they are really good! We even have a Product of the Year or two awards coming on it!!

As to the popping issue some are experiencing, as pointed out, it is a known issue with the AKM chip and we are looking into what can be done about it.

We are also working on putting together a review tour. If interested, please PM me or @Netforce.

And now for some pics from CanJam @ RMAF!

I'm curious, Bruce, but is the 800I balanced like the 600I?

Oct 14, 2016 at 10:53 AM Post #60 of 553
Just bought the CMA600i from a fellow head-fier.  Really really impressed by this piece of kit.

I must agree and say that it pairs very well with the HD800s which is rare for a solid state amp in my experience.

Will post some more impressions once I get more headtime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back