Questyle CMA18 Portable DAC with Headphone Amplifier
Jan 22, 2024 at 12:04 PM Post #151 of 403
No updates were required. At first I erroneously thought that there couldn't be playback because it wouldn't charge from my MacBook Pro, but actually it turns out that my computer disabled the device because it was drawing too much power and it had nothing to do with whether the device was playing and wouldn't work when the device is off either. However, when I realized the issue was actually a power issue and tested again by plugging into dedicated a USB-C charger I had no issue charging while playing over Bluetooth so really the issue is just having a power source that is sufficient.
I see, I guess my main concern is being able to charge and play via USB-C at the same time while using a set of wired headphones. Is that possible?

Jan 22, 2024 at 12:27 PM Post #152 of 403
for this money. shanling m6 ultra looks more interesting. At least you do need any cables and sandwich configuration.
separate device for music looks more useful to me.
There's definitely an element of personal preference there. I find having a separate device for music to be cumbersome and would rather just use my iPhone/MacBook to play music over bluetooth. Perhaps someone can do a side-by-side re sound quality; I've never listened to a Shanling so I have no baseline for comparison

Jan 22, 2024 at 2:57 PM Post #155 of 403
Could you expand on the differences between it and the m15?

The M15 is absolutely fantastic but I've found that when you listen with a lightning cable anything above 90% volume will have some background hissing, however this issue doesn't happen when using USB-C and so when using another device you can take the M15 to full volume. With M15 it's always a compromise powering it with an iPhone/lightning cable combo and so the on the go experience isn't as good. With the CMA18, there is no such portability compromise and the bass is just gloriously punchy. I have both the LCD-X and LCD-5; both sound incredible, but the M15 is incapable of realizing the full potential of the LCD-5. The bass punches with the CMA18. Hands down best portable audio experience I've ever had; it is unreal how good these sound. I would wager that when the reviews start to land that the consensus is going to be that CMA18 is the best mobile DAC ever made.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2024 at 11:08 PM Post #156 of 403
I received mine on Saturday and have been listening quite a bit the past few days. My initial first impressions are extremely favorable overall

Pros:
- The sound quality is absolutely phenomenal and is a huge step up from the M15. This drives my LCD-5's like a champ
- The level indicator is dual purpose and the power button can be tapped to show power level while in use. There are multiple brightness levels per LED
- The overall aesthetics are superb. Very high quality glass and switches
- Support for charging while playing has been added
Cons:
- The hold and gain switches have too much play

Score:
5 tigers

I received mine on Saturday and have been listening quite a bit the past few days. My initial first impressions are extremely favorable overall

Pros:
- The sound quality is absolutely phenomenal and is a huge step up from the M15. This drives my LCD-5's like a champ
- The level indicator is dual purpose and the power button can be tapped to show power level while in use. There are multiple brightness levels per LED
- The overall aesthetics are superb. Very high quality glass and switches
- Support for charging while playing has been added
Cons:
- The hold and gain switches have too much play

Score:
5 tigers out of 5
Can you tell me what is the physical dimension & weight of this dacamp ?
Thanks

Jan 22, 2024 at 11:42 PM Post #157 of 403
10.9 x 6.9 x 1.4 cm
I don't have a scale that's capable of measuring things this light but if I were to ballpark it I'd say somewhere around 100 grams. So it's pretty lightweight, and a bit thicker than a phone but not as tall

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2024 at 2:30 AM Post #158 of 403
The M15 is absolutely fantastic but I've found that when you listen with a lightning cable anything above 90% volume will have some background hissing, however this issue doesn't happen when using USB-C and so when using another device you can take the M15 to full volume. With M15 it's always a compromise powering it with an iPhone/lightning cable combo and so the on the go experience isn't as good. With the CMA18, there is no such portability compromise and the bass is just gloriously punchy. I have both the LCD-X and LCD-5; both sound incredible, but the M15 is incapable of realizing the full potential of the LCD-5. The bass punches with the CMA18. Hands down best portable audio experience I've ever had; it is unreal how good these sound. I would wager that when the reviews start to land that the consensus is going to be that CMA18 is the best mobile DAC ever made.
Out of curiosity, what’s your use case for portability with the LCD-5? Studio/recording?

IME, the LCD-5 very much rewards the listener based on source gear and loves high power (high current.) So if primarily at home, why bother with a portable amp?

Jan 24, 2024 at 3:53 AM Post #160 of 403
Out of curiosity, what’s your use case for portability with the LCD-5? Studio/recording?

IME, the LCD-5 very much rewards the listener based on source gear and loves high power (high current.) So if primarily at home, why bother with a portable amp?
I appreciate the simple delight of smoking weed outside while listening to music and it's nice to be able to take this on the go as I can work on my laptop anywhere so this is a good option for going to coffee shops, working in the backyard, and for traveling. I've had an LCD-X/Sprout Audio PS100 since 2013 and waited 2 years before upgrading to the LCD-5 so that I could take advantage of the Black Friday sale to save $1800. I started out with the M15 which gave great portability and decided I wanted to wait until the CMA 18 Desktop was released instead of upgrading from the PS100 right away. What I've found is that the CMA18 portable is able to drive the LCD-5 exceptionally well and far better than my PS100, and so this gives me a superb listening experience while I wait for the CMA 18 Desktop to be released

Jan 24, 2024 at 1:35 PM Post #161 of 403
I appreciate the simple delight of smoking weed outside while listening to music and it's nice to be able to take this on the go as I can work on my laptop anywhere so this is a good option for going to coffee shops, working in the backyard, and for traveling. I've had an LCD-X/Sprout Audio PS100 since 2013 and waited 2 years before upgrading to the LCD-5 so that I could take advantage of the Black Friday sale to save $1800. I started out with the M15 which gave great portability and decided I wanted to wait until the CMA 18 Desktop was released instead of upgrading from the PS100 right away. What I've found is that the CMA18 portable is able to drive the LCD-5 exceptionally well and far better than my PS100, and so this gives me a superb listening experience while I wait for the CMA 18 Desktop to be released
That's a vibe. :sunglasses::call_me:

Jan 28, 2024 at 8:28 PM Post #162 of 403

I was considering waiting for a Hugo 3, but since Koji from Convince Me Audio compared the Desktop CMA 15 favorably against the Hugo TT 2, the CMA 18 could possibly rival the portable Hugo 2. Has anyone here tried the Hugo 2 to be able to compare them? Thanks.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back