Questyle CMA18 Portable DAC with Headphone Amplifier
Nov 17, 2023 at 3:38 AM Post #63 of 392
Hey guys, the CMA 18 Portable will certainly be released in Q4 2023 or Q1 2024, no later. You have my word here. We are getting together information to share with you as we speak, and I'll work my best to get it all looking good as soon as I can. I use this product every day, we are entering production already, just be patient with us as we finalize all the marketing details before sharing. It's coming, it's coming! I would much rather share with you guys the precise and perfect information a bit later, than share potentially incorrect or misleading information a bit sooner — any day. I think we can all agree on that ❤️

Questyle Audio Engineering Stay updated on Questyle Audio Engineering at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/questyleaudioeng @Questyle_Technology https://www.questyle.com info@questyle.com
Nov 17, 2023 at 8:59 AM Post #64 of 392
Hey guys, the CMA 18 Portable will certainly be released in Q4 2023 or Q1 2024, no later. You have my word here. We are getting together information to share with you as we speak, and I'll work my best to get it all looking good as soon as I can. I use this product every day, we are entering production already, just be patient with us as we finalize all the marketing details before sharing. It's coming, it's coming! I would much rather share with you guys the precise and perfect information a bit later, than share potentially incorrect or misleading information a bit sooner — any day. I think we can all agree on that ❤️

How would you describe the bass of 18 vs M15? Is it stronger?
I was seriously impressed with M15 classy performance but at the end of the day it lacked the bass slightly for my taste.

Are there any features like i.e. iFi Gryphon has with their XBass+Presence?

Nov 17, 2023 at 11:39 AM Post #65 of 392
How would you describe the bass of 18 vs M15? Is it stronger?
I was seriously impressed with M15 classy performance but at the end of the day it lacked the bass slightly for my taste.

Are there any features like i.e. iFi Gryphon has with their XBass+Presence?
I sencerely hope there won’t be such gimmicks like X-Bass and „presence“ etc.
I think if someone likes such things then brands like ifi would fit better. But that’s just me. I like pure sound without distracting things that alter the sound.

Nov 18, 2023 at 12:38 AM Post #66 of 392
I sencerely hope there won’t be such gimmicks like X-Bass and „presence“ etc.
I think if someone likes such things then brands like ifi would fit better. But that’s just me. I like pure sound without distracting things that alter the sound.

Like with all art, it all depends on your tastes :)

There is no such thing as "proper", "pure" or "natural" sound in rock, alternative, blues etc.
Especially in our protools and ITB production era when even established producers like Schoeps preffer to mix in the laptop using $150 SONY headphones.

EQ is not a blasphemy but just a tool - I want to enjoy the music I like.
Many old albums doesn't sound "fun enough" for my taste, more bass/warm usually bring them alive.
Gryphon has very nice XBass/Presence option (and you don't have to use it).
Mojo2, BTR7 - I agree the EQ sounds awful.

If M15 could only have more bass I'd probably preffer it over Gryphon for a portable use because I really like Questyle sound signature.
I hope CMA18 will be even better.

Nov 22, 2023 at 2:49 PM Post #67 of 392
I just entered into the world of hifi with Questyle M15 and Symphonium Crimson IEMs. After going to a headfi meet this last weekend and trying my IEM on more powerful desktop/portable amps the CMA18 excites me a lot.

I love the minimalistic design focused on the sound and battery life!

Side query, I am not sure I understand why people want these devices to have filters/EQ/effects etc. Are there that many source devices that do not have those capabilities? Or is there another reason this is desired in the dac/amp?

Nov 22, 2023 at 5:23 PM Post #68 of 392
I just entered into the world of hifi with Questyle M15 and Symphonium Crimson IEMs. After going to a headfi meet this last weekend and trying my IEM on more powerful desktop/portable amps the CMA18 excites me a lot.

I love the minimalistic design focused on the sound and battery life!

Side query, I am not sure I understand why people want these devices to have filters/EQ/effects etc. Are there that many source devices that do not have those capabilities? Or is there another reason this is desired in the dac/amp?
I’m also running a Crimson off the m15. There are things I like. But I do see room for improvements.

How well does Crimson scale in your experience?

Nov 22, 2023 at 9:43 PM Post #69 of 392
I’m also running a Crimson off the m15. There are things I like. But I do see room for improvements.

How well does Crimson scale in your experience?
I'm still learning so I'm not 100% on the definition of "scalability" you're using here. If I had to deduce it would be an inquiry to the iems performance various forms of amplification.

If that is the case I would say very well. Take M15 low vs high gain for example. Maybe it's because of the low resistance or the FLAT x-over tech or both, but this IEM loves current.

As far as a powerful mobile set up I ran the Crimson on a Hiiby RS8 I believe Class A mode and it got unbearably loud while chasing it's limitations. I wanted to keep pushing it because it got more holographic, but I was not comfortable with risking my own hearing.

Nov 22, 2023 at 11:25 PM Post #70 of 392
I'm still learning so I'm not 100% on the definition of "scalability" you're using here. If I had to deduce it would be an inquiry to the iems performance various forms of amplification.

If that is the case I would say very well. Take M15 low vs high gain for example. Maybe it's because of the low resistance or the FLAT x-over tech or both, but this IEM loves current.

As far as a powerful mobile set up I ran the Crimson on a Hiiby RS8 I believe Class A mode and it got unbearably loud while chasing it's limitations. I wanted to keep pushing it because it got more holographic, but I was not comfortable with risking my own hearing.
Thanks! I’m glad that you didn’t push too far and your hearing is still well😂

Compared to the raw power, I guess my point is more on the “quality” of the power. Like how the current/voltage is delivered and the control of it even at a lower volume.

I have a woo tube mini at hand to compare with m15 at the same, medium volume. Although m15 did a better job on my ~32ohm headphones, the tube mini’s delivery was significantly better than m15 on the Crimsons. Soundstage width was much larger and every note was more holographic and detailed. However, the soundstage depth became quite narrow.

Was rs8 bringing improvements over m15 at a lower volume?

Nov 23, 2023 at 1:47 PM Post #71 of 392
Thanks! I’m glad that you didn’t push too far and your hearing is still well😂

Compared to the raw power, I guess my point is more on the “quality” of the power. Like how the current/voltage is delivered and the control of it even at a lower volume.

I have a woo tube mini at hand to compare with m15 at the same, medium volume. Although m15 did a better job on my ~32ohm headphones, the tube mini’s delivery was significantly better than m15 on the Crimsons. Soundstage width was much larger and every note was more holographic and detailed. However, the soundstage depth became quite narrow.

Was rs8 bringing improvements over m15 at a lower volume?
@speCD I'm going to PM you my response so we don't take this thread in to the weeds.

Dec 2, 2023 at 7:43 AM Post #72 of 392
a777947fa4386eaa5c80e476b4b2a68a.jpeg.jpg

The price of the 'CMA 18 Portable' has been revealed.

RMB 4490 (USD 630)

I think the price is a bit high compared to the competition, but I'll fill my wallet starting today :)

Dec 2, 2023 at 8:01 AM Post #73 of 392

RMB 4490 (USD 630)

I think the price is a bit high compared to the competition, but I'll fill my wallet starting today :)
Seems middle of the road next to the q15, q7, h7, and the mub1.

Dec 2, 2023 at 8:16 AM Post #74 of 392
a777947fa4386eaa5c80e476b4b2a68a.jpeg.jpg

RMB 4490 (USD 630)

I went to www.questyle.com and they don’t have it there yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back