Questyle CMA Twelve Master Loaner Program
Jul 23, 2019 at 10:51 PM Post #76 of 102
Where are we on the cue to demo this amp? Really curious to hear it in my system.
I have it now. Don't yet know who is on the list next.

Jul 24, 2019 at 12:46 AM Post #77 of 102
Jul 24, 2019 at 8:46 AM Post #78 of 102
I was referring to the signal I would receive that it was my turn to begin reviewing the unit. If I wanted to know where I was on the list numerically I would have stated that.

Jul 24, 2019 at 8:47 AM Post #79 of 102
Tongue and cheek of course. I blame Siri for the dictation error.

Jul 24, 2019 at 1:03 PM Post #81 of 102
Great thanks.

Jul 24, 2019 at 1:25 PM Post #82 of 102
Tongue and cheek of course. I blame Siri for the dictation error.
Tongue in cheek...

:L3000:

(Just pullin' your (or perhaps Siri's) chain)

(OK, I'll stop crapping on the thread now. Enjoy the Questyle. Over and out...)

Jul 26, 2019 at 12:30 PM Post #83 of 102
Thank you @Todd for the CMA Twelve Master Loaner!!

I currently have the CMA600i and was eager to demo the Master 12. It sounded like the 600i but IMPROVED in every way. Blacker back ground and dynamics were amazing.
Most listening was done through Fostex TH900 and Sennheiser HD800s.

Here is my review of the CMA600i, only now I'm happy to watch movies and game with it.

Questyle CMA Twelve Master

Aug 1, 2019 at 10:32 PM Post #84 of 102
Ok, it looks like I'm next bc a CMA 12 Master just arrived! I totally forgot I signed up for this, so imagine my surprise when this was sitting on my porch.

First thing that happened when I took it out of the box is the volume knob fell off. Evidently the screw is missing to keep it on. This thing has obviously been making its rounds.

Aug 2, 2019 at 8:10 AM Post #85 of 102
Sorry Todd... I don't have my impressions posted yet. I've been extraordinarily busy recently between work, fixing my car, and getting prepared to go back to college. I'll get to them soon!

Ok, it looks like I'm next bc a CMA 12 Master just arrived! I totally forgot I signed up for this, so imagine my surprise when this was sitting on my porch.

First thing that happened when I took it out of the box is the volume knob fell off. Evidently the screw is missing to keep it on. This thing has obviously been making its rounds.
Glad to know it made it to you. It's weird that it was sitting on your porch since I paid extra for "signature required" on the shipment.

I didn't have any issues of the volume knob falling off, but I did notice a little play in it right away; it was definitely loose. I doubt the set screw came out when I had it as I almost exclusively used the remote to change volume after the first inspection. Still, I'll check the floor around the table I had it on just to make sure.

Aug 2, 2019 at 12:35 PM Post #86 of 102
@Schwibbles , thanks. I've emailed Todd. In fact, it was sitting inside the foyer, sorry for the bit of hyperbole. I believe my mother must have signed for it in that case. It was just sitting there when I came around the corner.

I looked inside the box for the screw but didn't see it. I can look again. Let me know if you find it on your end.

Aug 2, 2019 at 1:44 PM Post #87 of 102
@Schwibbles , thanks. I've emailed Todd. In fact, it was sitting inside the foyer, sorry for the bit of hyperbole. I believe my mother must have signed for it in that case. It was just sitting there when I came around the corner.
All good; I just misunderstood. I'm not that big of a fan of UPS so it wouldn't have surprised me for them to do something like that. Still they were $30 cheaper than USPS for shipping and I couldn't pass that up lol

Aug 7, 2019 at 8:37 PM Post #88 of 102
Before I get into my impressions, I'd like to thank Todd for including me in this loaner program. This is the first loaner program I've been a part of on any site so I appreciate the trust considering I have no history with them.

Background:
I have never tried a Questyle product before. I've always heard good things about the current mode amplification technology and their DAPs. I even owned a QP2R for a short time when I got the Utopia bundle but I sold it. I tried my best to keep my expectations to a minimum but I couldn't help but to expect a lot out of the Twelve.

Headphones used include Focal Utopia, Massdrop x MrSpeakers Ether CX, MrSpeakers Aeon Closed, and Sennheiser HD600.

Music was streamed from Tidal and Spotify Premium on highest settings.
Test Tracks include (but are certainly not limited to):
Scatterbrain - Jeff Beck
Temptation - Diana Krall
Give Me One Reason - Tracy Chapman
Thank U, Next (Double-Sided Guitar) - Rob Scallon and Mary Spender
Hotel California - Live On MTV, 1994 - Eagles
Not the American Average - Asking Alexandria
God of War - Bear McCreary
Cool - Rachel Reinert
Strobe - deadmau5
Sex and Candy - Maroon 5
Creep - Radiohead
Tarova - Snarky Puppy
Wonder - Natalie Merchant
Don't Let Me Fade Away - Wage War
The Way of the Fist - Five Finger Death Punch
Rack City - Tyga
Mahna, Mahna - Cake
Best Bad Habit - Danny Worsnop
People Are Strange - The Doors

Build Quality/Physical Impressions:
When I first pulled the Twelve Master out of its box, I was surprised by how hefty it was. Having not seen a spec for the weight, I had no idea what to expect. The 10mm-thick aluminum construction feels very sturdy; similar to the Goldenwave GA-X or SMSL VMV D1.
The matte black is somewhat prone to fingerprints but I found that it could easily be wiped clean with a soft cloth.

I really like the use of amber lights for all of the setting indicators. They aren't nearly as blinding as blue lights in the dark but are still easy to see in a well-lit room.
I also really like the toggle switches that are used on the front panel. I don't know why more companies don't use them because they're so satisfying to flip.

The volume knob has a nice feel to it and I had no idea it was motorized until I used the remote. Something to note, the volume knob did have some play in it when I first took it out of the box. It seems as though the set screw may have been loose or missing when I received the loaner unit because the knob completely fell off for the next person on the tour. Hopefully this isn't the case for other units.

There were no batteries included for the remote. Using the remote to change volume worked well enough but I found that I couldn't get a fine enough volume adjustment (for my preferences) when using sensitive cans like the Utopia. The motor would only create a movement so small, even when just quickly tapping the volume up or down button.

The remote itself is plastic but it feels like it's built well. There are a lot of extra buttons on the remote that have no purpose. It would be nice to have a remote that only has buttons for the features of the Twelve but this is a very minor nitpick. I'd rather have this remote than none at all. One design choice I am questioning is the decision to use a toggle switch for the power when a remote is included in the box. As I said above, the toggle switches feel really nice to use, but I'd rather be able to power the unit on/off with the remote than have to use a physical switch every time.

One last thing I want to mention is that the 4-pin XLR connection was not very tight. It wasn't loose by any means but it definitely didn't hold the connector as securely as other balanced amps that I've tried including the Taurus MKII, Soekris dac1541, Monoprice Cavalli Liquid Platinum, or Denafrips HA-10.

Sound:
The DAC section uses (from what I understand) a single AKM AK4490 chip which seems a little dated at this point. If I'm being honest, I have not been a fan of most 4490 implementations that I've heard so I had much lower expectations for the Twelve in this area. The good news is that I was pleasantly surprised. This is among the best 4490-based DAC implementations that I've heard. If I had to compare it to another 4490 DAC, I think the closest one in terms of performance is the RME ADI-2 DAC. While the ADI-2 is much cheaper than the Twelve, I mean this comparison in only a good way. The ADI-2 is a good DAC and so is the Twelve.

Still, the Twelve exhibits what I consider to be a 4490 "house" sound. My very first thought when I started my listening was, "this sounds like a 4490-based system". I have never been able to describe this sound well because it probably measures perfectly flat. The best way I can describe it is slightly warm (elevated) through the bass and a slightly unnatural treble reproduction. Thankfully the sensation of both is quite minor; just like on the ADI-2.

Moving onto the amplifier section, we get to the biggest "flaw" of the entire system. One of the biggest selling points of the Twelve is the current mode amplification. It seems like a major oversight to not include analog inputs so that the consumer can use their own DAC.

The current mode amplifier is the main star of the show in the Twelve. With 4-pin XLR and 4.4mm Pentaconn balanced outputs as well as a 6.35mm SE output, it has connections for most headphones. The sound is mostly neutral with a somewhat warm tonality. For comparison, the Cavalli Liquid Carbon is warmer than the Twelve while the Auralic Taurus MKII is more neutral

At 2W (at 32 ohms), it's not the most powerful amp out there, but it drives headphones just as well as amps that are much more powerful. The Twelve seems to really love low impedance planars. The bass presentation on my Ether CX and Aeon was intoxicating. The only amp I can think of that sounds similar in bass impact and definition is the Goldenwave GA-X (11W at 32 ohms); which costs about the same price but is only an amp.

IMO, the bass is the best part of the sound. That's not to say the midrange or treble isn't excellent, it's just that the bass is better. Speaking of the midrange and treble response, both are very good. Separation is quite good and there's an excellent sense of clarity and detail but without any harshness. The Taurus MKII seems to have a slightly smoother presentation while the Twelve seems to be a more reference level presentation.

Conclusion:
Combining excellent build quality with a good DAC and stellar amp, the Questyle CMA Twelve Master is truly a class-leading DAC/amp.

The $2000 price tag puts the Twelve Master in a tough place in the market. There are better amps for the price (considering no analog inputs) and there are certainly better DACs for the price. HOWEVER, as an all-in-one unit, I'm hard pressed to find anything that really gives the sense of a complete package as well as the Twelve Master.

Big thanks again to Todd at TTVJ Audio for including me in this loaner program. Sorry it took me so long to get my impressions posted.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2019 at 4:58 PM Post #89 of 102
I agree on the amp section being excellent. I have its smaller sibling the cma400i which has simular circuit with a lighter power supply and the same ak4490 chip. This unit ive modified building an line in terminal on it using a relay feeding the analog signal straight in the volume pot and a toggle switch on the back. So i can use an external dac with it. Im hesitating if i should write up a howto. Really have to say the amp is absolutely superb and both units should have the input by default af fabric.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2019 at 2:40 AM Post #90 of 102
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back