Questions regarding headphone amps for a complete noob
May 12, 2011 at 5:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

ckunke002

New Head-Fier
Hey guy's, I just joined here about 5 minutes ago and am looking some advice. I'm sorry first of all if this is some highly established community, because I admittedly don't know a THING about any of this yet.

I just bought a pair of Sennheiser 558 headphones, and am reading about how you don't get all the benefits with only the headphones alone. I then decided that I have no problem investing a little more money into my music hobby in what seems to be the solution, which is a headphone amp. I don't need to be very portable, but from what I've been reading most non-portable amps are far more expensive than portable ones, so that is a factor. Most of the time I'm listening to music with these headphones is with a cd player, ,iPod, or through my computer, if that is a factor in all of this. I also plan on buying a turntable in the near future and will use it for that as well.

Basically the reason I'm posting this is to get good information from you guys, and hopefully some recommendations. I don't have a ton of money, and I especially don't want to drop lots of money into something if I won't noticeably see gains from doing so. I also keep seeing this term DAC, which I have no clue what it means and keeps getting me more confused when trying to make a decision. Any information that will make all of this easier would be awesome.

I'm posting this in both "Portable" and "Non-Portable" forums because I don't really know which I want or need yet.
Also, I don't really want to spend more than around 100 dollars, if that is even necessary to get good sound.

May 12, 2011 at 6:16 PM Post #2 of 9
Heya,

The Sennheiser 558's are 50ohm, so it's not very hard to drive them. You can get a decent entry level DAC/AMP and be good to go. So, some suggestions and some basic answers:

1. Search the AMP forums for reviews on entry level portable amps. You're using an iPOD, so portable is likely an option. 558's are good headphones for going around too and easy to drive, so it won't break the bank to get a portable setup. While you wait for replies, you can read big reviews. I'll save you a moment and give you a thread that will basically take you a while to read, but will result in a massive head start for yourself in this hobby: massive portable AMP review: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/306883/updated-2-22-review-13-usb-dac-amp-predator-pico-2-3move-d10-d3-d2-viper-boa-d1-lyrix-microamp-vivid-v1-nuforce-xm5

2. A DAC is a "digital to analog converter". It's no different than what a soundcard is within a PC. Some people use soundcards to power their headphones for example, and that's their DAC. Others want something external and/or portable. That's where you pick up a DAC specifically made for headphones. And often, you'll want an AMP too. Just because you can make a digital signal into analog so that it can be heard on headphones, you want enough power behind it to actually hear it. So nicer headphones with a nice amp is something you'll see being paired up all the time in this hobby. Since your 558's are only 50omh, it won't take a big special AMP to drive them. This is a good thing since it will cost you less to get a decent DAC/AMP combo for your headphones.

Based on your headphones and what you're going to be using them with (PC, CD, iPOD), I'd suggest a simple DAC/AMP that powers 50omh headphones well: http://www.fiio.com.cn/product/index.aspx?ID=7&MenuID=020301 , the FiiO E7. Check the forum for a used one (search). Otherwise, here's an amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-E7-Portable-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B003E6K1VK/ref=pd_sim_e_1 for $99 new. There are others in that price range (nuForce portable, Vivid V1, iBasso D2, etc). So check that thread I linked. You can find these used here on the forums, so check it out.

Good luck!

Very best,

May 12, 2011 at 7:13 PM Post #3 of 9
Thanks for the reply! After doing a little research, this is starting to make more sense. One thing I'm still not clear on, is what it means that they are 50 OHM, and how that applies to them not needing an Amp. I tried to figure out what OHM even stands for, and all I could come up with on the internet was "OHM Meter". A lot of good that did 
confused.gif

And what is the need for a DAC? That doesn't make sense to me, since that is what the music player is already doing (converting digital signal to analog)

May 13, 2011 at 8:34 AM Post #4 of 9

Quote:
Thanks for the reply! After doing a little research, this is starting to make more sense. One thing I'm still not clear on, is what it means that they are 50 OHM, and how that applies to them not needing an Amp. I tried to figure out what OHM even stands for, and all I could come up with on the internet was "OHM Meter". A lot of good that did 
confused.gif

And what is the need for a DAC? That doesn't make sense to me, since that is what the music player is already doing (converting digital signal to analog)

Heya,

Ohm is the resistance. There's a lot more to it than that. But for simplicity, a pair of headphones with low impedence, or low Ohm rating, doesn't require a ton of power to get volume from. Headphones with higher Ohm ratings usually are doing that due to other parts of the design for increase in quality. Keeping it simple, higher impedence needs more power to get high volumes out of them. In general, higher Ohm rated headphones are usually also headphones designed to be of higher quality (due to other parts within the device). These headphones need more power behind them to get volumes you can hear and appreciate. So that's where the amplifier (amp) comes in. 50Ohm is not very high. It's also not super low either. It's going to be heard on anything you plug it into. But some portable devices simply cannot provide enough power to get higher volumes because their wattage output isn't high enough to overcome the impedence. So you'd need an amp. Some devices have enough power output already and so you wouldn't need an Amp. Many sound cards can output power enough to take care of 50Ohm headphones. There are some that are designed for it, and for much higher. There's tons of amps out there for this too. Most portable devices though are designed for low impedence headphones because it means less power being used (so less battery needed in your device).

I like my music volume to be high. So if you like to roll around with your iPod, you would be good to have a little portable amp. See the ones linked above again for suggestions. If you don't get an amp, which is fine, listen to your headphones on the iPod. See if the volume is enough for you. If it is, you don't need an amp. If you try it and the volume maxes out and it's not loud enough--time for an amp. Simple as that really in a nut shell.

DAC is only needed for certain applications. In your setup, the computer could use a DAC (unless it already has a sound card/integrated or not). A CDplayer or iPod is already a DAC (as you mentioned). So you really only need an AMP. However, most portable amps are also DAC's now (USB DACs) simply because it covers all ground that way. So you'll find most portable amps are DAC/AMP combos.

Very best,

May 13, 2011 at 1:01 PM Post #5 of 9
Now that was the answer I was looking for! Thank you very much!

Do you personally have any experience with that E7 amp? It looks to be a well rounded tool but I just need to be sure it will do all I need it to before making the purchase. I don't listen to music extremely loud most of the time (besides when I'm in my car lol) so all I'm looking for in an amp is that it can get to the levels I want and still maintain great sound (which I have a feeling these headphones will be able to do alone).

And also, I decided to get the Audio Technica M50 headphones instead, as they seem to be a much better match for what I need and my music preferences. They still have a low OHM rating, like 32 or 38 or so. I don't know if that changes the scenario at all.

Thanks!

May 13, 2011 at 3:22 PM Post #6 of 9

Quote:
Now that was the answer I was looking for! Thank you very much!

Do you personally have any experience with that E7 amp? It looks to be a well rounded tool but I just need to be sure it will do all I need it to before making the purchase. I don't listen to music extremely loud most of the time (besides when I'm in my car lol) so all I'm looking for in an amp is that it can get to the levels I want and still maintain great sound (which I have a feeling these headphones will be able to do alone).

And also, I decided to get the Audio Technica M50 headphones instead, as they seem to be a much better match for what I need and my music preferences. They still have a low OHM rating, like 32 or 38 or so. I don't know if that changes the scenario at all.

Thanks!

Heya,

Sorry, I do not have the E7. A lot of people have it though and seem to like the work it does. I have a Vivid V1, it drives my Sennheiser HD580's very nicely and gets loud. Without an amp, my 580's could barely be heard when hooked up to my devices. If you go through that review post I linked, there's a lot of amp information in there. The Audio Technica M50's don't need a lot of juice. If you're using a sound card, you probably don't even need an amp. But you may still benefit from one. End of the day it's your audio listening preference. I would suggest you get your headphones, use them, listen to them, and see if you like the sound and volume levels on the devices you're using. If everything is good, you're done. If you feel like you're not getting everything out of them, get an amp. And then look at the E7, or the nuForce Icon Mobile, or the V1, etc. Depending on budget. As there's no need to get anything more than that if you're not getting higher end cans any time soon.

Very best,

May 13, 2011 at 3:58 PM Post #7 of 9

Quote:
Heya,

Sorry, I do not have the E7. A lot of people have it though and seem to like the work it does. I have a Vivid V1, it drives my Sennheiser HD580's very nicely and gets loud. Without an amp, my 580's could barely be heard when hooked up to my devices. If you go through that review post I linked, there's a lot of amp information in there. The Audio Technica M50's don't need a lot of juice. If you're using a sound card, you probably don't even need an amp. But you may still benefit from one. End of the day it's your audio listening preference. I would suggest you get your headphones, use them, listen to them, and see if you like the sound and volume levels on the devices you're using. If everything is good, you're done. If you feel like you're not getting everything out of them, get an amp. And then look at the E7, or the nuForce Icon Mobile, or the V1, etc. Depending on budget. As there's no need to get anything more than that if you're not getting higher end cans any time soon.

Very best,

Cool, will do! You say get an amp if I feel they need more power, and THEN look at the E7/nuForce Icon/V1. Those are amps though? Was that some sort of typo, or were you suggesting I get multiple amps? Haha

May 13, 2011 at 4:15 PM Post #8 of 9

Quote:
Cool, will do! You say get an amp if I feel they need more power, and THEN look at the E7/nuForce Icon/V1. Those are amps though? Was that some sort of typo, or were you suggesting I get multiple amps? Haha

Heya,

Was just suggesting some entry amps to look at. No need for multiples (yet). Not saying to get one or another. But suggesting a few to look at. Really, just go to the "for sale" section of the forum in portable amps and look for something used, you'll save some money that way and get a nice amp that is already burned in likely. That's how I got mine for pretty cheap and it works wonderfully.

Edit, this guy is selling an E7 for a decent price: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/553108/like-new-fiio-e7-and-zune-hd-32gb

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back