Questions regarding Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro (and Soundstage concept)
Sep 8, 2019 at 9:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

InZaNex

New Head-Fier
After doing some research for a high quality PC in-depth sound experience, I came across the Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro’s. Just for the record, I’m completely new to the Hi-Fi concept. I need some help clarifying these headphone’s qualities before I make the commitment (since I can’t find a place locally that has them in order to test them out properly).

Info I collected so far: They are bright and detailed, specifically with a treble spike and a bass that extends deep. They supposedly have a good soundstage as well (This is very important to me). In regards to finding an appropriate amp for them, it would supposedly have to be low output impedance. Essentially a Syba USB sound card would suffice, but a Fiio K3/ E10K would work well too? Also apparently the Dekoni hybrid pads are improvement over their regular pads. I’m not sure how accurate all this info is, and I’m open to all suggestions.

My primary uses: Watching movies, playing fps video games, and listening to music (Rock genre mostly). Sound depth is arguably one of the most important aspects for me (more on that below).

What I Currently Own: My current PC setup is the ASUS Xonar DX sound card connected via S/PDIF Optical to my Astro Mixamp paired with the Astro A40 headphones. I love the feeling that the Dolby Digital 5.1 decoding gives me from the amp. It gives me a more in-depth surround sound when watching movies and playing FPS games (I suppose this is similar to the soundstage concept everyone talks about). I also own a pair of Bose SoundSport Wired and Bose QuiteComfort 25 on the side.

Alternative Options: I was originally looking into the Sennheiser HD 660 S, which supposedly have a mellow, more neutral (well-balanced) sound. However most people suggested the Beyerdynamic’s over these.

Overall, I need your guidance in determining if these headphones would be adequate for me. Also I need help in verifying if the amp recommendation I listed above are indeed appropriate for these headphones. Much appreciation for all your assistance related to his post, as I've been searching all over the web (and locally) for answers in better determining my next sound setup. Thank you in advance!

Sep 8, 2019 at 9:39 PM Post #2 of 7
Do you know if you are looking for something on the more neutral/balanced side of the ledger, or do you need substantially hard-hitting bass? Have you ever listened to a Beyer of any kind before?

Sep 8, 2019 at 10:04 PM Post #3 of 7
The only experience I have with headphones are the three I listed above (Astro A40, Bose SoundSport Wired, and Bose QuiteComfort 25). I'm not sure where along the lines of Treble/Neutral/Bass those three fall in. I suppose I can test out any Beyerdynamic I come across at a music/electronic store if they all are generally similar in concept. In theory I don't think a strong bass would be an issue for me, since I enjoy Rock, Hip-Hop, and generally Drums. However I won't know for sure until I try an example.

Sep 8, 2019 at 10:40 PM Post #4 of 7
Okay, got it. Well, first off, I personally like teh DT1990 Pro quite a bit. Have not heard it from the Dekoni pads, but swapping between the A & B pads (if they are still available?) offers a simple way to tweak and adjust the signature depending on preferences. As for the stage, I would say for me it is good/very good, not superb. In my opinion, in order to get the most out of this headphone, it really does best with a solid dedicated amp of whatever preference. Can it sound good without one? Yes, but this may vary pretty widely from one setup to the next, so it is a bit hard to predict until you actually plug it in and have a listen. That said, with a good amp, the DT1990 is a reliably good performer IMO. There are other potential options in this same broad price range, aside from what you've mentioned. A few that come to mind are the HD58X (which does great sans amp), the X2HR (ditto), the HE400i (much better with amp), and the HE400S (generally terrific without amp as well). I also like the HD660S (I own the HD600 and HD650), but I would not put it at the top of my list of movie headphones due to the stage. Just my takes and YMMV.

Sep 9, 2019 at 10:44 AM Post #5 of 7
Hey InZaNex,
The DT 1990 are a great headphone and I think you'd be really happy with them. Compared to other audiophile headphones, the soundstage might not be huge, but, honestly, compared to the 'phones you're coming from, I think you'll be more than satisfied. My one concern would be if you don't like the "bright" treble. You can test your tolerance of this frequency by finding a test tone of 8kHz to 10kHz and turning the volume up a little louder than you'd normally listen. To get a very rough idea of how the bass and treble will compare to your other 'phones, you can compare frequency response graphs at RTings. For instance, it looks like the DT 1990 has about 10dB more energy at 9kHz than the A40.

As for amplification, they actually don't require a whole lot of power. They have a sensitivity of 102dB at 1mW, which means that in order to listen at rock concert levels (115dB) you'd need an amplifier capable of only 16mW at 250Ω. Speaking of the impedance, a good rule of thumb is that the output impedance of an amp should be no higher than 1/8 the headphones nominal impedance; this means the relatively high impedance of the DT 1990 should make finding a compatible amp pretty easy, so long as it can deliver sufficient power into 250Ω. And speaking of loudness, the other day I measured my speakers at a comfortable level and the peaks were just above 70dB; this was about the level I assumed my upstairs neighbors could start to hear my music. My Galaxy S9 and MacBook Air are capable of driving the DT 1990 to satisfying loudness.

Also, I believe that the DT 1990 is carried at Guitar Center, which I think has a few locations in Miami. You could call around and see if they have any in stock / available for demo. Be sure to bring your own sources (laptop, DAC/amp, phone, etc.) to see how it works with those.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2019 at 6:13 PM Post #6 of 7
The only experience I have with headphones are the three I listed above (Astro A40, Bose SoundSport Wired, and Bose QuiteComfort 25). I'm not sure where along the lines of Treble/Neutral/Bass those three fall in. I suppose I can test out any Beyerdynamic I come across at a music/electronic store if they all are generally similar in concept. In theory I don't think a strong bass would be an issue for me, since I enjoy Rock, Hip-Hop, and generally Drums. However I won't know for sure until I try an example.
The Asus Xonar DX sound card has a decent DAC function, suggest you get a Schiit Magni or JDS Atom headphone amplifier and connect it to the DX's headphone/front speaker jack.
Then get whatever headphones (DT1990) you like.
(I usually disable the motherboard's on-board audio, in the BIOS, when installing an internal sound card)

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2019 at 8:25 PM Post #7 of 7
If you have heard the Bose Quiet Confort 25 you have heard a quite anemic sound compared with the DT-1990. I strongly suggest you try out the DT-1990 for a good while, the treble on them is HOT. I used the Fiio K5 with them and found the mid range adequate and higs...all right. However, when I pumped some real juice on them with a Violectric V200, the treble became too much for me and parted with them. Also, if you're accustomed to using closed headphones the incursion into open/semi open will be displeasing if you have a loud PC or loud environment. I also used, and greatly enjoyed the DT-770. The DT-770 compared with the DT-1990 you'll get more bass from the DT-770, but with less detail, but you really have to focus to tell it apart. The highs on the DT-1990 compared with the DT-770 will extend higher and louder on the DT-1990. If you are willing, why don't you try with the DT-770 or the DT-880; which are way too similar to the T1, before committing with a single one

Also try to abuse the return policies, haha.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back