Questions about usb cable and RCA cable
Feb 3, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #16 of 31
The only company I know of that showed any measured improvement in the signal going through one of their expensive USB cables was Oyaide, but, and this is a big one, whether that improvement will have any effect on any particular device is not clear. Regardless, I'd say using a better power supply via USB isolation would be far more likely to make an improvement. A cable itself can't fix a noisy power supply from the computer's USB ports.

(Warning: DBT discussion is NOT permitted in this forum.)

Feb 3, 2012 at 9:11 PM Post #17 of 31
Have you tried the Audioquest Ipod USB cables? They are definitely a step up in sound from the apple. Have it between the ipod and the iStreamer. Do bring this stuff to the Seattle meets for Head-fiers to try out.

Quote:
There is no known real electronic effect from usb cable "upgrades"

There is, however, a varying degree of psychological effects which may make the sound better for you if youre into that sort of thing

Feb 4, 2012 at 9:11 AM Post #18 of 31
save yourself a few bucks... buy psychology books instead...
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 7, 2012 at 11:31 PM Post #20 of 31
The only reason I would pay more than Monoprice prices for a cable would be so they look good, they don't make a bit of difference, don't believe otherwise.

Feb 10, 2012 at 10:36 PM Post #21 of 31
I bought a usb from Monster (...I know), and after using it for a few days, I realized that this is absurd.  I returned it, and then bought a shorter, thicker, and 4x cheaper cable from Monoprice, and I sleep well.

Mar 2, 2012 at 7:04 PM Post #24 of 31
There are many opinions about USB cables, but only two kinds of people comment in public:
1. Those who have heard a few, and
2. Those who haven't.

If you listen to a variety of cables at a variety of price points, you will quickly be disabused of the nation that USB interconnects are unimportant or identical.

It's crucial to realise that a USB cable is a DC/signal sandwich: half the conductors carry power (5V) - and join the ground plane of the motherboard - grunge and all - to the DAC. The other half carries high frequency, perturbable signals that are interpreted as digital data at one end.

The idea that noughts and ones waft magically through the digital ether is profoundly disconnected from reality: a USB cable is a purely mechanical conductive device made of metal, carrying waveforms just like an analog interconnect: subject to RF/EM interference, dielectric loss, eddy currents, capacitance, inductance and resistance variations et al. There is significant scope for design alterations to be audible. In my experience (having carefully auditioned dozens), USB cables vary as much, or more than 'analog' interconnects.

Mar 2, 2012 at 9:16 PM Post #25 of 31

Quote:
There are many opinions about USB cables, but only two kinds of people comment in public:
2. Those who haven't.

If you listen to a variety of cables at a variety of price points, you will quickly be disabused of the nation that USB interconnects are unimportant or identical.

It's crucial to realise that a USB cable is a DC/signal sandwich: half the conductors carry power (5V) - and join the ground plane of the motherboard - grunge and all - to the DAC. The other half carries high frequency, perturbable signals that are interpreted as digital data at one end.

The idea that noughts and ones waft magically through the digital ether is profoundly disconnected from reality: a USB cable is a purely mechanical conductive device made of metal, carrying waveforms just like an analog interconnect: subject to RF/EM interference, dielectric loss, eddy currents, capacitance, inductance and resistance variations et al. There is significant scope for design alterations to be audible. In my experience (having carefully auditioned dozens), USB cables vary as much, or more than 'analog' interconnects.

I normally don't post in threads like this because the nay-sayers make me so angry. To the OP I would say that if you are not going to trust your own ears when trying different components - including USB cables - what do you trust? Just because you can't do a strict A / B test doesn't mean your experience of the sound quality is any less accurate. Ignore all the negative comments and just trust your ears.

Edit/Note; A good cable upgrade can make a greater improvement to the sound quality of your system than a major component upgrade. (From personal experience and professional reviews alike.)

Mar 3, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #26 of 31

Quote:
2. Those who haven't.

Interference in an analog system is carried down the system, interference in a digital system causes dropouts and faults. The failure mode for digital signals is it either works fine or it fails horribly. It's a great problem with improperly installed DMX lighting systems where sudden complete failures are common in improper cable runs.

Mar 6, 2012 at 12:12 AM Post #27 of 31

Quote:
2. Those who haven't.

Well said. Fine that some don't believe there's a difference, and may they live in eternal hifi bliss with their stock cables. However, preaching it as fact without having tried a single audiophile grade cable is strange...

Mar 6, 2012 at 12:21 AM Post #28 of 31
I am thinking about buying an Audioquest Cinnamon USB Type A to Type B 1.5 meter cable. I use a generic USB Type A to Type B 3.00 meter cable to connect my System76 Bonobo Professional running Ubuntu 11.10 64 bit to my Resolution Audio Opus 21 music system. I have the Extra Sources and S30 boxes as well. I can get a used Audioquest Cinnamon 1.5 meter USB cable for less than $40 USD. However, it is an Amazon Warehouse Deal. I think that I will be able to return it for a full refund if I don't hear any differences. Is it worth it to take this risk and buy it?

Mar 6, 2012 at 12:51 AM Post #29 of 31
Anyone thinking about AudioQuest or other high end cables. I worked at a large chain retailer for a few months, I bought an AudioQuest HDMI cable for my PS3 because I wanted a shorted cable than I had, I paid $8 for a cable that retails $40.

So take the price of your high end cables and cut over 80% of the cost off, that will give you a rough idea of what they cost to make and what they are really worth.

Mar 6, 2012 at 12:53 AM Post #30 of 31
I already knew that the markup was pretty high like between 60 - 80 percent for most boutique, name brand, popular audio manufacturer's products.

Did you try the Audioquest Cinnamon USB cable though?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back