Questions about usb cable and RCA cable
Feb 3, 2012 at 7:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

T.F.O.A

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, I have a question about usb cable, does it actually matter? I have my centrance dacport LX, and there's already a usb cable included.
But out of curiosity, does upgrading the usb cable, actually does anything? I'm thinking of the kimber kable, can anybody teach me on this?

If it does change, what kind of cable is neutral?

Thanks

Feb 3, 2012 at 9:49 AM Post #3 of 31
There is no known real electronic effect from usb cable "upgrades"

There is, however, a varying degree of psychological effects which may make the sound better for you if youre into that sort of thing

Feb 3, 2012 at 11:40 AM Post #5 of 31
USB cables don't "sound" like anything. You can't hear the music running through your USB cable any more than you can hear the data running through an ethernet cable. Call it the magic of digital. Expensive USB and HDMI cables are purely snake-oil; save your cash for a new pair of phones.

Feb 3, 2012 at 12:37 PM Post #6 of 31
I have a fairly well made stock USB cable between HRT MSII+ & Vaio Z; even came with a ferrite core on one end. Tried the Furutech Formula 2 and surprised to find the improvement to be quite profound through my HD800 - treble is less brittle, more body on lower midrange (cello), soundstaging less vague and bass is deeper too.

Feb 3, 2012 at 1:40 PM Post #7 of 31

Quote:
Quote:
USB cables don't "sound" like anything. You can't hear the music running through your USB cable any more than you can hear the data running through an ethernet cable. Call it the magic of digital. Expensive USB and HDMI cables are purely snake-oil; save your cash for a new pair of phones.

Pretty much this. Nobody has shown in blind testing that any properly made (e.g. not faulty) USB cable, sounds better or worse than any other. Save your money for things that really do affect the audio. 

I use a generic USB cable I found in my closet. Still one wonders whether all of this advice being given is based on "being shown" results based on another persons testing, as opposed to direct personal experience.    

Feb 3, 2012 at 1:44 PM Post #8 of 31
Direct personal experience is great. But our impressions of change, especially as it relates to audio is very well known to be flawed. We have notoriously bad audio memory and what we hear is affected by what we see, regardless of any change (or none) to the actual, measurable, audio. 

So while I have no problems with cable upgrades for build quality, durability, looks, and usability (length) etc. I have to rely on those who can do well documented evidence based testing (double blind testing, electrical measurements, etc.) as much as I do my own impressions, if I really want to get to the truth of the matter - and certainly before recommending something as an upgrade. 

It is one thing to say, what *you* hear is what matters. It is quite another to claim that what anyone hears (or reports they hear) is a claim which represents the truth. Evidence is a good thing.  To me, I want measurable, evidence based benefits, more than I want the intangibles - I simple cannot afford to chase ghosts. So my money gets invested in those things that I can prove (both to myself and others) actually make a difference. 

Feb 3, 2012 at 3:36 PM Post #9 of 31
"I have to rely on those who can do well documented evidence based testing (double blind testing, electrical measurements, etc.) as much as I do my own impressions"

No, I don't have the time or resources. 

Feb 3, 2012 at 4:50 PM Post #11 of 31
Distrust is not quite the right word. Understanding of limitations, maybe.

It makes sense that there will be differences in different types of circuits, though certainly when specific claims are made, I like to see tests where possible. I am skeptical of many of the claims, and won't be buying a $1000 dollar version of the same circuit that can be built for $200 just because it has audiophile caps and resistors in it. Not without a DBT to show there is an audible difference.

Headphones I listen to, I also review response curves and square wave data (and impedance, etc.). Again, there are good reasons for differences in sound. 

Ultimately, for me, it comes down to the nature of the claim and expectation. If someone is telling me that something like a cable is making a difference in a sound, when there is not much theory or rationale (or evidence) for that to actually be the case, I need to see that evidence. Likewise, I don't need someone to back up a statement that they crossed the street. But if they tell me that they flew, I am skeptical. It's a balance. 

But there is my piece. I've stated my opinion on the OP's original request  as well as the one fact: that there has been no repeatable, falsifiable evidence to suggest that any properly made USB or audio cable will affect the sound. Like any opinion, they are free to take it or leave it - but nobody is entitled to their own facts. Anything more on this, we can take to the Sound Science subforum if you want to. 

Feb 3, 2012 at 5:21 PM Post #13 of 31
It is a factor, but I would not rely on it alone. 

Feb 3, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #14 of 31
To the OP: you will not get a satisfactory answer to your question (here or anywhere else). The only thing you can do is experiment with different cables and see if they make a difference to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back