Questions about the iriver
Mar 7, 2005 at 5:45 PM Post #31 of 44
I always thought the 120/140's looked pretty cool, especially in an iSkin. Looks don't matter regardless, if something works it keeps me happy
biggrin.gif

Kirosia...If I remember right, we've had some agreement in the past that the iriver is not the perfect player. But don't you think that generalizing that someone shouldn't get one because it "corrupts" files is a little extreme?

Your recent woes with your unit is not typical for these at all. Actually, it seems the reliability success on the 120/140 line is quite high. The biggest problem I see on these is people plugging in the wrong charger and frying their unit.

Mar 7, 2005 at 6:14 PM Post #32 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfen68
I always thought the 120/140's looked pretty cool, especially in an iSkin. Looks don't matter regardless, if something works it keeps me happy
biggrin.gif

Kirosia...If I remember right, we've had some agreement in the past that the iriver is not the perfect player. But don't you think that generalizing that someone shouldn't get one because it "corrupts" files is a little extreme?

Your recent woes with your unit is not typical for these at all. Actually, it seems the reliability success on the 120/140 line is quite high. The biggest problem I see on these is people plugging in the wrong charger and frying their unit.

Well, it corrupted my files *repeatedly*, as well as my cousin's. Could we have gotten a bad batch? Perhaps, but that means a bunch of other people did too. That means anyone's could be troublesome.

The first second I got it, I was disappointed with the sound. I though something was wrong. Then I found out it was normal on them. I've had this thing for around a year or so, and flaws continue to crop up and bother me. Regardless of what other people say, I just cannot recommend the IHP. It's decent, but that's it. We at head-fi are very anal about things, no? Cause we want the best we can afford. And with other players out there that probably top it in the same price range, why not get them instead?

Mar 7, 2005 at 6:20 PM Post #33 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
Well, it corrupted my files *repeatedly*, as well as my cousin's. Could we have gotten a bad batch? Perhaps, but that means a bunch of other people did too. That means anyone's could be troublesome.

The first second I got it, I was disappointed with the sound. I though something was wrong. Then I found out it was normal on them. I've had this thing for around a year or so, and flaws continue to crop up and bother me. Regardless of what other people say, I just cannot recommend the IHP. It's decent, but that's it. We at head-fi are very anal about things, no? Cause we want the best we can afford. And with other players out there that probably top it in the same price range, why not get them instead?

Well, that's what personal choice is all about. I hope you find a replacement that works for you....good luck.

It may be worth sending to iriver to have it fixed whether it's in warranty or not. I hear they are reasonable regarding that, and if it can be repaired (and you don't want it) they are worth a little cash nowadays.

Mar 7, 2005 at 7:12 PM Post #34 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia

No problem with corruption of files here. I personally prefer a tree structured file arrangement and see no need for the overhead for a database of my music. But that is personal preference, my wife adores itunes and the ipod software.

Sound preference is very personal. I prefer the sound directly out of my h140 compared to my wifes 4G ipod (as does she but she definitely prefers the ergonomics of the ipod and happens to love itunes so she's not switching). As far as out of a good amp (Coda or SR-71) the sound difference actually shrinks imo. However, the 140 has an optical out which the ipod does not and this allows me to use the overture DAC. The sound using the DAC is much, much better than straight out of the player into an amp. As always YMMV, IMHO yada yada yada ....

Mar 9, 2005 at 7:02 PM Post #35 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zappa74
..... Also, there is no auto gain control (a feature I use on my mindisc). The iriver falls just short of being ideal for recording.

Options>Record>AGC and there you have your auto gain control
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 10, 2005 at 1:57 AM Post #36 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by morphsci
I don't quite understand this one. It has a combination analog/optical line out with the current function chosen using the menu. If you do not choose optical you have an analog out.

Correct, also the H1XX series players, when selected, have a true digital line out (the volume or the EQ does not effect the digital optical output.)

When selected for analog output, the volume and EQ settings does effect the analog line output, but this does not color or ruin the line output audio at all.
You can disable the EQ settings and turn the player to its highest volume and
the analog line out sounds great and very powerful.

I wish that iRiver would re-release an updated HDD MP3 player similar to the H1XX series players.

Thanks!

Mar 11, 2005 at 2:00 AM Post #37 of 44
Thanks for the replies. Many of my questions have been answered but I still have a few more.

A note on how I listen to music. I very rarely listen to the same recording many times. If I want to listen to The Planets, I will get as many recordings as I can and listen to each once. I will not get one recording and listen to it 10 times. Because of the way I listen to music I don't blame "good" and "bad" sounds on the source or the headphones. I blame it on the recording. I often find that when people say a piece of music sounds "good" or "bad", they are comparing it to another source or another set of headphones. In contrast, I am comparing two pieces of music. So if I have a "bad" souding source or headphones, the bad sound I hear will be the same in every recording. For this reason, I am not as anal about sources and heaphones as many people on this forum.

I want a mp3 player and more importantly a portable rcorder. Is the iriver the best portable music player AND recorder under $300? The big problem with hi-md recorders is that there is no mic adjustment. If you have 4 tuba players in a small room playing as loud as they can, you get too much distortion. On my net-md you can press pause when you are recording, set it to manual record volume and change it. However, on the himd, you can set it to high and low with no other options. Really my only complaint with my netmd is that you cannot go optical to a computer and unshielded 1/8 inch jacks on my computer adds enough of a buzz to make recordings unusable.

I prefer to not run extra programs on my computer, especially ones that organize music for me. I really prefer taking a little extra time and organizing it myself. Nedless to say, I am not a big fan of iTunes and similar programs. Are there other mp3 players that let me organize music myself and preferably do not require any extra programs on my computer?

From my originial post: Are there any other players that can be used as a hard drive with no requirements on file types?

A quick question for this forum. How do you subscribe to threads?

Mar 11, 2005 at 2:17 AM Post #39 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Iriver
Well, the h320 does look a lot better (in my opinion) than the H320. It has a great shiny look, and the color screen makes it look as something a little ahead of it's time. While out of the case it looks great, in the case it looks nasty.

Wait.... the H320 looks better than the H320? ...... I dont get it.
icon10.gif

Mar 11, 2005 at 3:08 AM Post #40 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beach123456
Wait.... the H320 looks better than the H320? ...... I dont get it.
icon10.gif

oops, I meant H320 looks better than H120. It looks really cool. The H120 looks cool too, but the H320, has the more modern look. It's kind of like the anti-ipod. I like ipod too however.

Mar 11, 2005 at 4:30 AM Post #41 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ojannen
From my originial post: Are there any other players that can be used as a hard drive with no requirements on file types?

The Archos can be used as hard drives without software. But I don't know about the recording option.

Mar 12, 2005 at 12:37 AM Post #44 of 44
jumping back to the reviews at mistic river, i watched a video/tutorial on the actual play and naivgational functions..... the only thing that struck me was that, being an ok 22mm depth, it looked pretty fat in the vid. i just want a reassuring word from a person with experience with this player. it is that thick?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back