questions about reshelling the UE TF10
Aug 31, 2011 at 1:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Lawitz

New Head-Fier
in the UM thread I received no answer so here is a new one:

I´m thinking of having my UE TF10 reshelled (I´m using comply foam and in the long run reshelling just seems the better way) and I have a few questions, I don´t know much about audio and iem´s so it would be nice if you gave me simple answers.

-when I search for unique melody I get multiple results: www.uniquemelody.org , uniquemelody.co.uk , custom-iem.com which one is the right one? uniquemelody.co.uk? is UM the only company doing reshelling for the TF10? if there is others, which one would you recommend?

-what is roughly the cost of getting ear impressions? I live in germany.

-what is the cost of reshelling? reshelling costs about 227€ according to ampcity.co.uk and 117€ according custom-iem.com, that is quiet a difference.

-should I have some drivers added? or does it make the sound worse?  I like a high amount of bass and nice highs. I´m not an audiophile so I can´t really tell minor differences. I can hear some difference when comparing the TF10 to the UE SF5pro, the TF10 sounds maybe around 10% better for me (which made the TF10 worth the buy). I don´t want to spend a lot of money, only if there is a significant improvement in sound I might go with 1 or maybe 3 extra drivers. I bought the TF10 for 210€ so even reshelling and  1 driver added would cost more than I paid for the TF10. I don´t really want to have to use an amp, would adding drivers require an amp to work properly?

-would adding 5 drivers make it something similar to the top end IEMs or would it still be far away?  I´m not going to have that many drivers added due to the price but I´d like to know.

Aug 31, 2011 at 5:03 AM Post #3 of 5

Quote:
in the UM thread I received no answer so here is a new one:

I´m thinking of having my UE TF10 reshelled (I´m using comply foam and in the long run reshelling just seems the better way) and I have a few questions, I don´t know much about audio and iem´s so it would be nice if you gave me simple answers.

-when I search for unique melody I get multiple results: www.uniquemelody.org , uniquemelody.co.uk , custom-iem.com which one is the right one? uniquemelody.co.uk? is UM the only company doing reshelling for the TF10? if there is others, which one would you recommend?

-what is roughly the cost of getting ear impressions? I live in germany.

-what is the cost of reshelling? reshelling costs about 227€ according to ampcity.co.uk and 117€ according custom-iem.com, that is quiet a difference.

-should I have some drivers added? or does it make the sound worse?  I like a high amount of bass and nice highs. I´m not an audiophile so I can´t really tell minor differences. I can hear some difference when comparing the TF10 to the UE SF5pro, the TF10 sounds maybe around 10% better for me (which made the TF10 worth the buy). I don´t want to spend a lot of money, only if there is a significant improvement in sound I might go with 1 or maybe 3 extra drivers. I bought the TF10 for 210€ so even reshelling and  1 driver added would cost more than I paid for the TF10. I don´t really want to have to use an amp, would adding drivers require an amp to work properly?

-would adding 5 drivers make it something similar to the top end IEMs or would it still be far away?  I´m not going to have that many drivers added due to the price but I´d like to know.

Unique Melody is based in china.  These are the resellers for them.  Ampcity was setup to help english speaking customers place orders.  The £179 (plus cable) is a flat one off rate, ie you don't pay any import tax or whatever.  Any other questions about unique melody would be better off in a pm to http://www.head-fi.org/user/uniquemelodyaus who seems very helpful even if you don't go through them.

Other companys doing reshells?  Aside from UM, theres Fisher (Inearz, and a couple of long threads on headfi so do a readup), 1964 ears and Kozee mainly.  Fisher and 1964 ears are the two I would look at, I personally went with fisher down to price (I'm in the uk).  Kozee whilst workmanship is good have speed and communication issues to deal with, again go read the appropriate threads.

Fisher pricing was $90 for reshell plus cable.  Whilst this looks a good deal the shipping back to europe kills it slightly.  $65 dollars to be precise.  1964 and kozee I don't know.

Cost of getting ear impressions in the uk was for me £30.00 for both ears.  Highest was £50.00.  Need to stress that it's both ears you want doing (sounds obvious I know but got quoted £30 one phone call then £50 the next when booking the appointment.  When asked why the increase told was quoted for one ear only!).

Drivers is down to you, theres enough info in the relevant threads to read up on.  If spending the amount 5 drivers requires then I would save up the difference and get a pair instead of reshell personally.

Cheers

Aug 31, 2011 at 7:40 AM Post #4 of 5
Shipping back from Fisher cost $65? He sent me a pricelist and ground UPS ground shipping method says $7,50

Aug 31, 2011 at 2:43 PM Post #5 of 5

Quote:
Shipping back from Fisher cost $65? He sent me a pricelist and ground UPS ground shipping method says $7,50

I "think" thats us only, if not it'll be bloody slow anyway :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back