Questions about my new ATH-M50s
Oct 16, 2010 at 8:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

d_headshot

Head-Fier
So I took the plunge and decided to get myself a pair of these instead of the Grado's I've been thinking of. I haven't used them that much yet but how long would it normally take to burn them in? Would using them with a computer and turning the volume full blast for a short period of time damage them?

As for any cons, the only complaint so far would be that I might return them for the coiled cable instead. It would have been nice if the cable was removable like the SRH840s.

Oct 17, 2010 at 2:23 AM Post #2 of 16

Quote:
Would using them with a computer and turning the volume full blast for a short period of time damage them?

It could very well, yes.  Why would you want to do that?

Oct 17, 2010 at 4:20 AM Post #3 of 16
I doubt your computers amp is enough to damage them but you shouldn't burn them in like that( if burn in is real, I feel it's more of a mental thing and the drivers need a little bit of time to stretch.)

If you want to burn in headphones the general concensus is put them on your head turn on some high quality( preferably FLAC) classical music turn them up to a normal listening level and leave them on repeat. Once you want to listen to them then do so, you need to mentally burn and and become accustomed to their sound as well you know.

Oct 17, 2010 at 4:28 AM Post #4 of 16

Quote:
Would using them with a computer and turning the volume full blast for a short period of time damage them?

Lolwut? Why would you do that. Yes you can damage them. If you want to burn them in put music on at a tiny bit louder than comfortable listening volume (not much) and leave it on as long as you like.

Oct 17, 2010 at 6:53 PM Post #5 of 16
I connected them to my laptop and turned the volume up slowly to see how loud they would get. It was for less than 20 seconds. The burn in volume I've been doing so far is about comfortable listening volume.

As for the type of files, would it really matter if I used a lossless vs a lossy codec?

Oct 17, 2010 at 7:28 PM Post #6 of 16
Why would you do that??? There is a chance you damaged them. It doesn't matter what you use to burn them in. You should just listen to them. If you want to buy into the hype, grab a white/pink noise file from the web and put it on repeat at just above normal listening levels whenever you are not listening to them?

Quote:
I connected them to my laptop and turned the volume up slowly to see how loud they would get. It was for less than 20 seconds. The burn in volume I've been doing so far is about comfortable listening volume.

As for the type of files, would it really matter if I used a lossless vs a lossy codec?

Oct 19, 2010 at 10:49 PM Post #7 of 16

Quote:
Why would you do that??? There is a chance you damaged them. It doesn't matter what you use to burn them in. You should just listen to them. If you want to buy into the hype, grab a white/pink noise file from the web and put it on repeat at just above normal listening levels whenever you are not listening to them?

I know it was a (very) stupid thing to do and I don't know what I was thinking haha. However, after more hours of usage, I don't notice any problems so thankfully my laptop's output power wasn't enough to harm them.

However I did notice that whenever I plug them into my Sansa Fuze, they make very loud pop and crack sounds that hurt my ears quite a bit. They also occur when the Fuze is in my pocket and I move or touch it. This also happened when I was comparing different headphones(even 3 different sets of M50's) at the store I bought them from. Any other headphone I plug into my Fuze doesn't do that and the M50's do not make those sounds on any other portable player I've stuck them into so far. Weird.

Oct 20, 2010 at 5:02 AM Post #8 of 16
lol, you might not want to stick them in the sansa fuze then. I'm just kidding, but that is wierd.  I hope you don't mess up your driver.

Oct 20, 2010 at 12:44 PM Post #9 of 16

Quote:
lol, you might not want to stick them in the sansa fuze then. I'm just kidding, but that is wierd.  I hope you don't mess up your driver.

There's no chance of me sticking them into the Fuze again lol. Another thing is that when I was testing the model, I really had to crank my Fuze up just to get some decent volume. It seems that the Fuze doesn't like driving a lot of different headphones I tried but other people claim that the M50s are easy to drive with portable media players. Maybe the Fuze has an excessive high/low output impedance compared to ipods or other devices?

Oct 20, 2010 at 12:48 PM Post #10 of 16

Quote:
Another thing is that when I was testing the model, I really had to crank my Fuze up just to get some decent volume. It seems that the Fuze doesn't like driving a lot of different headphones I tried but other people claim that the M50s are easy to drive with portable media players. Maybe the Fuze has an excessive high/low output impedance compared to ipods or other devices?

You aren't alone.

Oct 20, 2010 at 10:08 PM Post #11 of 16
I don't think you should worry too much about your headphones being damaged, they aren't that fragile.  Sure it's not good for them, but out of a computer with no amp for a few seconds won't really make a difference.  I used to have a friend who would like to use his earbuds as speakers, they were cheap stock ones but he would max out the volume on his player all the time and just leave them dangling.  I don't think they ever even broke although they were already pretty bad to start with.
And as for lossless vs lossy, I think you should determine that yourself.  I can't hear the difference between 320kbps and flac so I just use 320kbps.

Oct 21, 2010 at 6:12 AM Post #13 of 16
Burn in I feel is real because I've had my cheap earbuds and my Senn555 I got at the same time to compare to and it took A LOT longer than a few hours for the 555 AND the M50 to sound semi-decent. Mine sounded like total crap in the beginning and I actually preferred the cheap crappo earbuds to either of them. Then I started switching between the 555 and M50 so I could burn them in.While the M50's still sounded like crap, the 555's started sounding pretty good within those few days compared to the other ones. WIth the M50's it took over 2 weeks of constant play and I listen to my music really loud. And the transition from bad to good wasn't gradual either. It's like for over a week it sounded like absolute crap and then towards the end, the sound started cleaning up and the soundstage began expanding and now I prefer these to my senn555. When I listen to heavy bass that goes really low, the Senns can't handle it and it starts to crack. The M50's bass is amazing compared to the other cans. Sometimes, I can feel my core rumble from the heavy, low bass.

Another one is when I listened to The Postal Service - Recycled Air like 10 times, the s's sounded very harsh and like "Sssss....ssssssssssssssss...ssss." It made me cringe and made the experience not so enjoyable. Even a week ago, it still sounded very harsh.  listened to it again 2 days ago, and the s's don't stand out anymore. It got somewhat muted and sounds more natural.

I still lean towards the more neutral sounding, detail oriented headphones but now, a month later it finally feels like my $107 was spent well. I really like the 555 for classical music though and watching movies or something - it really does make me look around thinking the sound is coming from somewhere else.

I listened to my crappy earbuds again and OMG, wow, it sounds like I bought it from a Toys R' Us or something.

Oct 21, 2010 at 6:36 AM Post #14 of 16

Quote:
Burn in I feel is real because I've had my cheap earbuds and my Senn555 I got at the same time to compare to and it took A LOT longer than a few hours for the 555 AND the M50 to sound semi-decent. Mine sounded like total crap in the beginning and I actually preferred the cheap crappo earbuds to either of them. Then I started switching between the 555 and M50 so I could burn them in.While the M50's still sounded like crap, the 555's started sounding pretty good within those few days compared to the other ones. WIth the M50's it took over a week of constant play and I listen to my music really loud. And the transition from bad to good wasn't gradual either. It's like for over a week it sounded like absolute crap and then towards the end, the sound started cleaning up and the soundstage began expanding and now I prefer these to my senn555. When I listen to heavy bass that goes really low, the Senns can't handle it and it starts to crack. The M50's bass is amazing compared to the other cans. Sometimes, I can feel my core rumble from the heavy, low bass.

I remember the issues you were having.  Welcome to the club.  I definitely find the 555 a step down unless you are after 'that' sound.  I know many prefer the more neutral signature of the 555 and 840 but after some critical listening today my M50 beat them both on clarity and micro-detail.  Surprised me.  Everytime I think I'm going to sell them I have a listen against the competition and I just can't do it.  I think I'll burn the 840 longer just to confirm.     

Oct 22, 2010 at 1:42 AM Post #15 of 16

Quote:
I remember the issues you were having.  Welcome to the club.  I definitely find the 555 a step down unless you are after 'that' sound.  I know many prefer the more neutral signature of the 555 and 840 but after some critical listening today my M50 beat them both on clarity and micro-detail.  Surprised me.  Everytime I think I'm going to sell them I have a listen against the competition and I just can't do it.  I think I'll burn the 840 longer just to confirm.     

yeah, I had a lot of issues with these. It was so disappointing I was about to call Audio Technica and ask them for another one. Now, it blows the 555 out of the water esp that bass. It melts my brain with those low rumbling range bass songs. It still has its intrigue factor. Sometimes, I just have to stop everything I'm doing when I know that part's coming. I have no regrets on this purchase!
atsmile.gif

Looks like you're not alone on having difficulties giving those away on Head-Fi. I remember reading members regretting having sold theirs or wondering if they should sell it but scared they might regret it etc.
How many times have you pondered giving them away? You probably have nicely trained ears by now and your ears are liking them! lol but yeah, I would burn the 840's longer too just in case I don't regret anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back