Questions About How To Choose Good Headphones
Feb 21, 2013 at 7:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

jpongin

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'm in the market for good headphones + DAC / amp with about a $700-$800 total budget.

My source will mainly be from a Macbook Pro (late 2011) w/ lossy streaming @ 320 Kbps (Spotify).  I still want it to sound good with FLAC files.  I listen mostly to rock, jazz, classical, hip hop, and electronica.  I prefer closed, over-ear,[size=x-small] circumaural, comfortable headphones that lean more towards an accurate, natural sound - tight/deep/punchy bass, warm mids, bright highs, clear and detailed across the board.[/size]

After some research, I am considering the following options:
Headphones:
  • Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO, 250 ohms
  • Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO, 80 ohms
  • Denon AH-D600
  • Denon AH-D2000 (discontinued)

Headphone Amp + DAC:
  • JDS Labs O2 + ODAC
  • Asus Xonar Essense One Plus Edition

Questions:
  1. Generally, do headphones with higher impedance sound better than headphones with lower impedance?  My assumption is that headphones with higher impedance sound better because they allow for bigger voice coils with less distortion.  If this is the case, do the DT770 Pros sound better than the AH-D600s?
  2. The Denon AH-D2000 are discontinued, what are the closest sounding headphones that are still in production?
  3. If I have to EQ my headphones, does it mean the headphones are not good?  Is it common to EQ high-end headphones?  For example, would you need to EQ a set of $1500 - $2000 headphones?
  4. Can you suggest similar headphones + amp / DACs listed above?

Feb 21, 2013 at 7:46 PM Post #2 of 3
None of the phones you listed are on-ear ones.
To answer your questions:
1. Theoretically high impedance phones are better than lower ones. But more than often it is not the case. If you are a newbie, forget about the specs, for now.
2. You still can get D2000 of decent condition at this moment. Other than that I recommend DT770 AE an Mad Dogs.
3. EQ is really subjective to personal preference, no comment.
4. Matrix M-stage amp+dac
    Schiit

Feb 21, 2013 at 7:58 PM Post #3 of 3
Oops... I meant over-ear. sorry about that.  (edited post)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back