Questions about Grado HP Signature Headphones
Jul 14, 2001 at 5:13 AM Post #76 of 91
Jude, I was going to call the 700 dollars limit
but u called 700 so I was out of that 700 slot ( which I see now u changed ur mind and gave that spot to someone else
tongue.gif
)

But I have my own reason for 695 call
wink.gif

time left on that auction is way too long ... I actually do NOT like the ending time posted... I will have to make sure I am around if the auction is within my set limit on it

Tides

Jul 14, 2001 at 5:27 AM Post #77 of 91
I can say for Joelongwood, Acidtripwow, and I who have listened to both RS-1 and HP-1/2s for an extensive period all agree that HP-1/2 series is better. Correct me if I am wrong. Of course, this is just our opinions
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 14, 2001 at 5:30 AM Post #79 of 91
Great stuff, KR.........you really deserve the title "Resident Grado Historian" Thank you, and jude for putting those reviews up.

Damn, I can't believe the amp AND the HP-2s went on Audiogon for $695.........looks like a bargain now. This is turning into the search for the Holy Grail. I gotta get that amp!

Quote:

is the RS-1 really not as good as HP-1? I can't believe it.

Joseph...........................believe it. (IMO)
When i got the HP-1s, but had not yet received them, I posted on Headwize that I wasn't expecting them to be my reference 'phones, that I was getting them for their build quality and historical value. That was my intent........one listen, however, and I was convinced. The reviewer who said it took him all of 3 seconds to realize these were something special was dead on.
Extremely smooth, extremely well balanced, extremely dynamic, and extremely detailed........that's the HP-1s in a nutshell.
The RS-1s have been spending most of their time in their nice box.

Jul 14, 2001 at 5:37 AM Post #80 of 91
Oh man if people are such dead ringers for these prices for the HP-1s, then it's more then time that I got rid of mine! So what'll it be for mine...$800? Box included remember!
biggrin.gif

Jul 14, 2001 at 5:38 AM Post #81 of 91
Anyway, just found that the competition for the HP-2 is actually among the head-fi/headwizers so far. So, whoever wins (i am sure it's not me this time
mad.gif
) it's good.

Joe, you are right, dropthechalupas1 didn't win the bid last time, but looks like he has a HP-2
mad.gif
, if my guess is right too
wink.gif

wish had emailed the seller to get the combo instead of starting the thread.
frown.gif

Jul 14, 2001 at 12:41 PM Post #83 of 91
$800? Sound's like a bargain.

Joe Grado himself said the amp, when used as a pre-amp, will outperform any conventional $20,000.00 pre-amp.
smily_headphones1.gif

quote: "This is not a boast, it is a fact."

Jul 14, 2001 at 2:54 PM Post #84 of 91
I am kinda confused as to how the Grado Amp can be used as a pre amp? How do you connect them? Does this theory also apply to the RA-1 too or is it just for the HPA-1 amp?

Jul 14, 2001 at 4:13 PM Post #85 of 91
Quote:

Does this theory also apply to the RA-1 too or is it just for the HPA-1 amp?

No, while the HPA-1 and the RA-1 sound the same, the HPA-1 is built differently and it has more options.

The auction on Ebay doesn't include the amp, I don't think
confused.gif

Jul 14, 2001 at 4:14 PM Post #86 of 91
Is anyone here in this forum still thinking about bidding (besides me) on this Hp1 Auction ? or are you guys all out ?

Be honest
wink.gif

I would like to know so I can rethink how I will deal with this *dropthechalupa* guy. ( or is he a fellow Headwizer? )

Tides * who is trying justify the purchase of Ra-1 with Hp-1 * lol~!

Jul 14, 2001 at 4:23 PM Post #87 of 91
KR,
do you know about how to connect the HPA-1 as a preamp to Source and Headphone Amp? I wonder if using the HPA-1 as a preamp between a headphone amp and source actually improves the sound?
Afterall, it beats $20,000 preamps right, so it better sound good
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 14, 2001 at 4:24 PM Post #88 of 91
Tides, I'm out. Seriously. My sniper rifle is packed safely away for a less expensive auction or purchase.

I just ordered some Beyer DT-990 Pro 250-ohm'ers a couple days ago (may not arrive for a little while though). When it arrives, I'll just pretend it's the HP-1000.
wink.gif

So, again, I'm out. If dropthechalupa is a member of Head-Fi, though, you may be helping him out too by soliciting these responses!
confused.gif

Jul 14, 2001 at 4:35 PM Post #89 of 91
I don't have the HPA-1 amp, I wish
wink.gif

So I should explain my statements. When I got my HP-2's there was another headwizer who also had the HP-2 and the HPA-1. He later went on to get the RS-1 and the RA-1 amp. After a lot of careful A/B testing between the two amps, he couldn't tell the difference sound wise. I remember him saying how much bigger the HPA-1 amp was and how you could fit the RA-1 inside of it. I remember most of what he wrote, but I can't remember his name, I'm really bad with names
frown.gif

Once, headwize is up again, you can search for those posts.
smily_headphones1.gif

It was because of this, that I brought the RA-1, that is because I wanted to get as close to Joe's vision of the perfect headphone sound as possible.

Jul 14, 2001 at 4:43 PM Post #90 of 91
Ahhh, I remember him. His name was Gordie I believe. He owns a RS-1, HP-2 and a HPA-1 amp as well as a Earmax Pro. Anyhow, I don't care how the HPA-1 sound simply because I know it is inferior to my DCT-1. However, I do care whether if I use it as a preamp that if I would get an improvement in sound. ARGH, I should have tried the RA-1 as a preamp before I sold it
frown.gif

Actually, come to think of it, does putting any high quality preamplifier between a headphone amp and source improve the sound? Hmm, maybe I should start a new thread about this....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back