Questions about ESW9
Aug 8, 2010 at 5:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Magitek

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone, I'm looking for a pair of portable headphones around $200 and I'm interested in the ESW9. But before I buy them I want to know a few things.

1. How are they compared to IEMs of the same price like DBA-02?

2. Do they still have durability problems? With the plastic hinges breaking?

Aug 9, 2010 at 12:25 AM Post #3 of 9
Dude, you don't need to bump your thread that you just opened. It does nothing to your post count. 

Anyways, I used to own the ESW9, but not the DBA-02 and if you're comparing the can to the IEM, it sounds like you want bass, which from my experience when I used to own the ESW9 it has bass, but not the emphasis as what others have posted about the DBA-02.   I had no durability issues when I owned the ESW9 (careful with fakes) and unless your head isn't supersized, then you should be OK.   Same goes for the Ultrasone line if that interest you.  The ATH-M50 may be a good bet, but you should audition all these before making sound decision. 

Aug 9, 2010 at 9:28 AM Post #5 of 9
The ESW9 is pretty durable, of course it isn't indestructible however. I love the sound of the ESW9, which is very warm, and has smooth mids. I believe the DBA-02 has a neutral sound sig which would be very different.

Aug 10, 2010 at 9:49 AM Post #6 of 9
Glad to hear that the talk about the ESW9 breaking easily isn't really true. One more question, do you guys think they stand toe to toe with the best $200 IEMs? I understand that the ESW9 are kind of old and that there are new IEMs that are considered to have great price/sound ratio.

Sep 26, 2010 at 9:45 PM Post #9 of 9
I have the esw9 and the UE triple.fi 10. Though I paid more for the triple.fi's I would have to say the esw9s have a much higher tier sound signature. The triple.fi's are detailed and vibrant, very quick and in your head. They are suited to a higher tempo and remind me of Grado's I have heard and owned. The ESW9s have a much wider soundstage, a richer and more full-bodied spectrum, much more detail and separation than the tf10's. Though suited to different types of music, in terms of listening pleasure anything would sound good on the tf10 and better on the esw9. However, for portable use, the difference in isolation and size between the esw9 and the tf10 could be a game changer. The tf10 (and its competitors im sure) are amazing sounding phones and one can hear their full potential on a bus or a crowded sidewalk. The leakage of outside noise on the esw9 can sometimes degrade the listening experience below that of an iem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back