Questions about cell phones
Mar 12, 2007 at 7:27 AM Post #16 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by ken36 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Esoteric phones are for the young.

x2

I don't know how much you want to spend, but the new Apple iPhone sounds like a perfect fit for you. If you can hang on until June, you'll be able to get one from Cingular.

I was really, really, really excited about the iPhone when it was announced. Now, not so much. I don't think I'd use all the extra features. Instead, I'll re-up my contract with another RAZR. Lots of unnecessary features, but you cannot beat the form factor. It's amazingly easy to carry in my pocket.

Mar 12, 2007 at 10:07 PM Post #17 of 19
No way you'll see me with an iPhone unless I get one free with a contract (which won't happen for a loooong time). Not only is the price outrageous for the amount of time I use a phone, but I just don't like how Apple does their products. I'm assuming it'll have a non-removable battery, which I cannot stand. The only plus I can see is size, which I'm worried about in the 8125. I don't really like my dad's RAZR, and I decided that if I could get a phone with wifi for cheap, I'd consider it. I'd like to have customizable ring tones (mp3's from my pc, etc..) at the least, and a camera could be nice to have when you need a picture taken with awful quality. The fact that you can do all of this on the 8125, have MS Office, Email, free instant messenger, portable Head-fi browsing, and even throw on some free games if you want, is all tempting. Maybe I should see if they have a money-back guarantee on phones so I can test-drive it and then make a decision. There are just so many flip phones around that have worthless features that I would never use, and would end up paying $50 for anyways. The 8125 would actually be used and it includes simple useful features that should come with every phone.

Oh, and the refurbished phone is pretty much new. It has the same one year warranty and all of the accessories as the new phone, which is $200 on the cingular site.

What do you guys mean by esoteric phones are for the youth? As in phones with all the fancy, difficult to understand features are useless (like most teenagers?
biggrin.gif
)?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2

I don't know how much you want to spend, but the new Apple iPhone sounds like a perfect fit for you. If you can hang on until June, you'll be able to get one from Cingular.

I was really, really, really excited about the iPhone when it was announced. Now, not so much. I don't think I'd use all the extra features. Instead, I'll re-up my contract with another RAZR. Lots of unnecessary features, but you cannot beat the form factor. It's amazingly easy to carry in my pocket.

Mar 12, 2007 at 10:32 PM Post #18 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by ken36 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Esoteric phones are for the young.

For a minute there, I thought you meant that Esoteric had entered the hi-fi cell phone market.
icon10.gif

I've never owned a cell phone, but I think now is the time to buy... I'm leaning towards Verizon.

Is there really any point to getting extra features in a cell phone that would normally be covered by other dedicated devices (ex. MP3 support, internet, etc.)?

Mar 12, 2007 at 11:30 PM Post #19 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For a minute there, I thought you meant that Esoteric had entered the hi-fi cell phone market.
icon10.gif

I've never owned a cell phone, but I think now is the time to buy... I'm leaning towards Verizon.

Is there really any point to getting extra features in a cell phone that would normally be covered by other dedicated devices (ex. MP3 support, internet, etc.)?

No. I don't want to play music files and internet isn't necessary. It's just a feature that is nice to have. If I'm out of town with no laptop, I'd be able to jump onto instant messenger in a starbucks or a hotel, and chat away with some friends for a bit. Obviously this is not necessary, but if I can get these features at the same price of a phone that does less than half of that, why not?

I have a simple plan with cingular for talk time only. I find text messaging useless, yet everybody I know uses it. I have no need for any of the data plans either. If I were a working man with stocks to trade constantly, people to contact, websites to check, etc, I could see the data plans coming in extremely useful. Media services are unnecessary, I don't need to buy games for my phone, I don't need to pay to download music for my phone only, I don't need to pay for ringtones, etc... I could go on all day about unnecessary/unneeded cell phone features. It's the fact that the majority of the people with cell phones will use these services, so of course the companies will offer them at what I see as expensive prices.
[/rant]
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back