Questions about cell phones
Mar 11, 2007 at 5:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

PYROphonez

Headphoneus Supremus
Alright, for the last 4 years I've been one to go out and get the phone that comes free with the plan, which has worked perfectly fine for me. However, I'm kind of looking into different phones this time around. My 2 years are up on Cingular, and I'm eligible for a new phone.

Although this feature isn't necessary to me, but is it possible to get a phone with free WiFi access to connect to local access points, instead of having to pay for the service monthly? It seems that many of the phones I see say that they have wifi access, but have no mention of the fact that you have to pay monthly to use what should be free connections.
I saw the Cingular 8125 which looks really nice, ($50 refurb with plan) but it seems to require you to sign up/pay for something to access wifi points.

I'd like it if the phone also has a decent ring volume setting, and if it has a simple silencing method (Pressing one/multiple keys to set it to vibrate and turn off all sounds).

So if you have any advice on phones for cingular, please inform me. The cheaper they are, the better. I've been looking, and don't know what allows the free wifi I'm looking for (if any). I'm not one for paying for extra services like internet access or messaging. If I can't get that, then I'll probably go with an inexpensive/free phone they offer again.

Any advice is appreciated!
Thanks!

Mar 11, 2007 at 6:43 PM Post #2 of 19
Okay, well now I'm reading that it is possible to get free wifi on the 8125. This is confusing, and I don't want to accidently start paying for a service that I don't want to use.
My voyage for the answer continues.
edit: Watching a video review made me realize how large/thick the 8125 is. I think I'll pass on that one. I'm still looking around though.

Mar 11, 2007 at 8:30 PM Post #4 of 19
Mar 11, 2007 at 8:45 PM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by zachary80 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If my Verizon contract was expired I would go with this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Ericsson-...3644388&sr=1-2
Sony Ericsson W810i Phone (Cingular)

Considering the features I would use on that phone, $75 is too much for me. (that's online price after rebates since I'm not getting a whole new plan)

Mar 11, 2007 at 9:04 PM Post #6 of 19
I'm curious about this as well...my plan is running out in a couple of months, so I've been keeping an eye out for phones...having wi-fi would be a big feature for me...is there any phone that has a simple wi-fi?

Mar 11, 2007 at 9:11 PM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by sebascrub /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm curious about this as well...my plan is running out in a couple of months, so I've been keeping an eye out for phones...having wi-fi would be a big feature for me...is there any phone that has a simple wi-fi?

I wish it was that simple. It seems that the 8125 is the cheapest you can possibly get wifi for. I'm considering it again, as I believe I now understand how to use the wifi without media net (you just delete the media net connection). I just registered on a forum that knows everything about these devices, and I asked about free wifi access just to double check, and also asked if all online functions (email, etc..) would work without media net or the other service offered.

I like the idea of mobile word processing and all of that as well. Could be extremely helpful for any documents you have to write up if you have a paper due and you're out of town.

The only thing that I'm worried about is size at the moment. I don't want something too big, but I don't really want just another cheap-o, do nothing but make calls, phone. Wi-fi is a major plus to me.
*edit*
From what I just read, it's only about 1 inch thick, which actually isn't that outrageous. My current (flip)phone is a bit less than 3/4 of an inch thick.

Mar 11, 2007 at 9:46 PM Post #8 of 19
woa, look at this, you can get the 8125 for free with contract extension.

http://www.letstalk.com/product/product.htm?prId=30181

several other free phones here: lets talk

last 2 times I got a phone I used that company and I was happy with their deals.
cool.gif

Mar 11, 2007 at 10:20 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by iGig /img/forum/go_quote.gif
woa, look at this, you can get the 8125 for free with contract extension.

http://www.letstalk.com/product/product.htm?prId=30181

several other free phones here: lets talk

last 2 times I got a phone I used that company and I was happy with their deals.
cool.gif

you rule! I'm checking out the site right now.
How do they do prices so cheap? A phone at cingular.com that would cost me $99 is free here.

The stats this site has also make me want it more. The 8125 has the second highest talk time battery life (300 minutes). I think I might just end up getting it. It may already be a tad outdated, but considering the next step up is $200, I think I'll pass on that.

Mar 11, 2007 at 10:31 PM Post #10 of 19
I'm a bit of a phone freak. I haven't used a "contract phone" in more than five years. I started using T-Mobile and buying unlocked phones off the internet. Yes, it's more expensive. But you can get some WAY nicer phones that are ahead of most of the things available through Cingular, etc.

My current baby is an ETEN-M600. It's about 15 months old. It's got wi-fi, bluetooth, camera, touchscreen interface, Windows Mobile for Pocket PC, etc. I've got some very useful software that I use every day, like GPS (via Bluetooth, it's not built in), a beautiful clone of an HP-12C RPN Financial Calculator, full-blown internet browser with tabbed interface, etc.

It also connects to my corporate email server automatically any time I'm in a wi-fi hotspot (like my home, my office, my customer's offices, etc.). I use this thing to death.

You may want to consider the features you're after before jumping on the 8125 bandwagon. Do you really need that slide-out keyboard (bulk) or can you be content with a virtual keyboard or handwriting recognition? Do you want snappy response (aka a fast processor)?

I hope I haven't made your hunt more difficult.

Mar 11, 2007 at 11:07 PM Post #11 of 19
well, the thing is that I don't want to spend much (or any at all) and I want wifi if possible. I can't find anything that's this cheap that offers me those features.
If there's something for up to $100 that can do this, please let me know. I haven't found anything.

Mar 12, 2007 at 12:20 AM Post #12 of 19
This may be a stupid question, but, is there any phone that comes with wi-fi but without the Pocket PC stuff - just like a simple browser or something, enough to check my gmail, Google maps, and head-fi of course!

Mar 12, 2007 at 12:27 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by sebascrub /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This may be a stupid question, but, is there any phone that comes with wi-fi but without the Pocket PC stuff - just like a simple browser or something, enough to check my gmail, Google maps, and head-fi of course!

I think the only way to do that is to get a phone with a monthly service fee on internet. I haven't come across a 'regular' phone with wi-fi that doesn't include windows mobile or blackberry software or the nokia one (Sebian or something?).
I truly wish it was that easy to find what I want, because that really is all I want.

Oh, and getting that phone for free requires way too much hassle and I believe some of the rebates were expired.

Mar 12, 2007 at 3:22 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by PYROphonez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do they do prices so cheap? A phone at cingular.com that would cost me $99 is free here.
Oh, and getting that phone for free requires way too much hassle and I believe some of the rebates were expired...

I don't know how they get those prices, I guess they get a cut from the providers as long as you keep your contract.
Is true though, I paid $10 service charge to go thru them and I got a tiny phone that was $150 at the Cingular store.

Too bad the rebates are expired, give them a call maybe they have some other deal for you, they could also answer your other questions. If not you'll have to do the refurbished one. good luck.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back