Question: What/When/Is AKG releasing a NEW top-of-the-line headphone?
Oct 24, 2009 at 11:00 AM Post #31 of 48
milezone, maybe you have an "outlier"?

Anyway, I've found this:
5yx99g.jpg

(K1000)
That shows pretty well what rhythmdevils described.

Compare this to AKG's latest models:
11qo2de.gif

(K601)

.. there's not much to add, is there?

Oct 24, 2009 at 3:11 PM Post #32 of 48
It would be interesting to see which iteration of the k1000 driver that fr chart is measuring. There are at least two distinct models, which sound markedly different.

And, to answer your question, of course there's more to say. Frequency response is by no means the only measure of a pair of headphones.

Oct 24, 2009 at 3:53 PM Post #33 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It would be interesting to see which iteration of the k1000 driver that fr chart is measuring. There are at least two distinct models, which sound markedly different.

Oh yeah that would be interesting. It's a model bought around July 2005 if that's of any help.

Quote:

Frequency response is by no means the only measure of a pair of headphones.

Yup, but I think it's a very important measure and something the engineers pay attention to, else they wouldn't call it (K70x) the new reference with "extremely accurate sound".
wink.gif

Oct 24, 2009 at 4:41 PM Post #34 of 48
I wouldn't go as far to say the new series is a step back from the Sextetts. The Sextett LP I have is another flavour compared to the K601, but superior? Sorry I don't think so. In fact, the more I listen to the LP the less I like it compared to the K601. Maybe the EP and MP versions are that much better, but I don't understand what the LP is trying to do to the music, and I just can't engage with the music the same way I can with the K601.

Oct 24, 2009 at 8:14 PM Post #35 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by xnor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
milezone, maybe you have an "outlier"?

Anyway, I've found this:
http://i33.tinypic.com/5yx99g.jpg
(K1000)
That shows pretty well what rhythmdevils described.

Compare this to AKG's latest models:
http://i37.tinypic.com/11qo2de.gif
(K601)

.. there's not much to add, is there?

Which K1000 model? They were in production for ~16 years, and early models sound different from the late ones. AKG made some changes during the years, and its clear that it had impact on the sound.

...and then there are much more to a headphone and its sound than a frequency response graph.

It may not be for everyone though.
k1000smile.gif
wink_face.gif

Oct 24, 2009 at 8:40 PM Post #36 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
*snip*there are plenty of them floating around for those who want a pair.

Exactly! I don't understand why there's so much desire for the K-1000s to be re-manufactured considering that they are obtainable with some patience.

I also don't think it could be improved upon. It's dead neutral, fast, huge sound stage, wonderful mid range, soaring highs, some of the best bass you'll find. And considering the design trying to bump up the very bottom end would mess the whole sound up as it does on many other top phones. It will also introduce color to the sound.

I'd rather see a cheaper but more musical K701 successor. I'd like to have a beat up phone when not listening to the K-1000
tongue.gif

Oct 24, 2009 at 9:45 PM Post #38 of 48
I just want it to be at least somewhat more confortable than the 701s. They are truly lacking in that department. I've had them for some months now and I'm still considering to sell them because of this...even though they sound better than anything I've heard.

[-yay, first post-]

Oct 24, 2009 at 10:05 PM Post #39 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by kerjadh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just want it to be at least somewhat more confortable than the 701s. They are truly lacking in that department. I've had them for some months now and I'm still considering to sell them because of this...even though they sound better than anything I've heard.

[-yay, first post-]

1. cut off the bumps.
2. you can put some felt with double size glue in between the bumps.
k701smile.gif

For more info, check out the forum...

Oct 25, 2009 at 8:33 AM Post #40 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Exactly! I don't understand why there's so much desire for the K-1000s to be re-manufactured considering that they are obtainable with some patience.

They are not hard to get ahold of, true enough.
But some fellow Head-Fiers have stated that they would like a K1000 but find it too risky to put down $1k+ on one. Since it is out of production and you are more or less stuck if it fail on you.

I do not fear that myself, but totally understand people wanting to buy an in-production and fully supported headphone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also don't think it could be improved upon. It's dead neutral, fast, huge sound stage, wonderful mid range, soaring highs, some of the best bass you'll find. And considering the design trying to bump up the very bottom end would mess the whole sound up as it does on many other top phones. It will also introduce color to the sound.

You are probably right.
If they were to give it more bass extension it is quite likely that they would have to do some major rework and hence risk altering the other parts of the sound (midrange, treble, sound stage, ..).

Guess we can only wait and see what CES 2010 bring...

Oct 25, 2009 at 8:52 AM Post #41 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by pearljam5000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sorry but the K701 is a joke when compared to the K1000.
it's unlistenable.

plus,1000 is higher than 701 so i think that's an indication which one is better
wink_face.gif

I think you are exaggerating a tad. I own both and the K701s are not bad considering their cost. They are certainly not unlistenable. With the right amp, they come alive.

I personally believe AKG has changed the sound of the 701s over it's production life. I have a late model sample and it sounds a lot better than two early production samples I have auditioned.

Oct 25, 2009 at 8:39 PM Post #43 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by pearljam5000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i think they're dumb because the market now is much bigger than it used to be and they could easly sell 15000 K1000's a year,we should send them a link to head-fi !!!

With the economy the way it is, I seriously doubt this is the proper time to introduce a new pair of ultra high-end headphones. Not unless AKG wants them to be an extremely limited release, and to lapse into obscurity.

What do you base your presumptions on? Do you have the signatures of 15,000 members (with their check books open) ready to buy a new pair of K1000s?

Oct 26, 2009 at 6:02 PM Post #44 of 48
^ Yeah, no way AKG would be able to sell 15,000 pair of K1000s these days.
Especially considering they "only" sold 11-12,000 pair in 15-16 years of production, but also considering the more or less global recession.

Then again most headphone vendors have shown that they are capable and willing to put out very limited runs of headphones. So perhaps this time its AKGs turn...? Like Sennheiser, Sony, Audio-technica, Stax? (SR-Omega?), .. have shown in the past.
wink_face.gif

Oct 26, 2009 at 6:49 PM Post #45 of 48
The successor won't be a 'stat.

If it will be a fun version of the K701 and
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... only one bump on the headband.
icon10.gif

I'm gonna buy it immediately. *drool*

Users who are viewing this thread

Back