Question: What/When/Is AKG releasing a NEW top-of-the-line headphone?
Sep 17, 2009 at 11:11 PM Post #16 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by saisunil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
701s need to be recabled and need to be burnt in for more than 500 hours to become world class.

Sunil, can you understand that this requirement alone will leave many shaking their head ?

I accept that there is a difference between the fortitude of those who are willing to persevere with high-end cans and those of us who prefer to stick with the midrange (in my case, K601 and SR325is, but you know the cans I refer to), but those are the sort of requirements I would associate with really high end speakers, where the large drivers do need a lot of hours before they start rendering your music as their makers intended.

In my short time on Head-Fi, I have seen everything from 200 to 1000 hours quoted for the 70* cans, and we are banned from debating the merits of recabling as it heats up very quickly, but there is no way that I will ever buy these cans based on the claims re burn-in. I am happy that you are enjoying yours, but I'll stick with cans that dont need to be blessed by a Buddhist monk before you can enjoy them.
wink.gif

Sep 17, 2009 at 11:15 PM Post #17 of 48
senn, beyer, and grado all have new flagship headphones. wouldn't be surprised if akg was working on something. a new flagship from akg would be most welcome. just have to wait and see.

Sep 17, 2009 at 11:19 PM Post #18 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's a shame, really, because the K1000 is magical, but there are plenty of them floating around for those who want a pair.

yea but for the money, is just... i remember when i first start this hobby, k1000 was still available and only cost around $4000 Hong Kong dollars(500US?) a fair condition k1000 cost around 1000, used

Oct 23, 2009 at 5:26 PM Post #19 of 48
I think the main reason K1000 were not as popular when in production was the lack of powerful amps in a decent price range. Plus they do look a little silly for the kiddies.

Oct 23, 2009 at 5:29 PM Post #20 of 48
There was a brief time when they cost ~$500, fhuang, but that was never their MSRP. They blew out their remaining inventory at that price through Headroom, but that stated price through every other dealer was still $1400. Keeping that in mind, the price today is perfectly in line with what it was when they were new.

Also, they're worth it.

Oct 23, 2009 at 7:12 PM Post #23 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by DefectiveAudioComponent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 702 has been out for some time now, so a 703 appearing would be no surprise.

maybe a nice new red stripe or...maybe a different color headband! Or maybe they pull out all the stops and put dual entry cables! yikes, that might be asking for too much though...maybe just a red stripe or two...
biggrin.gif

Oct 23, 2009 at 8:34 PM Post #24 of 48
The K-1000 are a great sound concept, but they don't have much of the lower mid bass, and nothing under 50 hz.
The K702 are way better in the lower mid and in the bass and sub, all the way to 20 hz, as well the HD-800. This is why I'm not planning to buy K-1000.

I hope AKG will introduce a mew model with higher resolution than the K-702 and HD-800, and of course with better price.

Oct 23, 2009 at 9:06 PM Post #25 of 48
The K701's don't touch the K1000's in any facet including bass. I've owned them simultaneously. To think that the K701 was the successor to the K1000 is crazy. The quality gap between them is expansive.

The HD800 are a more complete headphone given their capacity to reproduce low frequencies however I don't think they are in the same league as the K1000's. They are imo a very good second tier but the superiority of the K1000 over HD800 is obvious to me. Amp both properly and I'll take the K1000 all day every day.

Above 60hz (bass and midbass) the K1000's destroy the K701s and HD800s. The K1000's unlike the 701s and the HD800's, reproduce bass with effortless fluidity. They are extremely (the most I've heard in a headphone) dynamic in their ability to reveal tiny details even in the presence of loud noise, with crystal clarity.

After five minutes of listening with them on their aforementioned flaws are forgotten. To each his own. Saying that the K702 have way better lower mid and bass is poppycock.

If AKG can match the K1000 performance in a more convenient package I'll be content.

Oct 23, 2009 at 9:30 PM Post #26 of 48
The K1000's aren't the holy grail and for a lot of people they are not even an option to consider.

@milezone: How can you say that if they clearly have rolled-off (sub) bass?

Anyway, I'm waiting with bated breath!
wink.gif

Oct 23, 2009 at 9:45 PM Post #27 of 48
Because after five minutes of listening the rolled of subbass is insignificant. Maybe not true for some people. I never said holy grail. They are the best dynamic headphone above 60hz with the exception of maybe the R10 and the JH13pro (which I haven't heard). I favor the K1000 over everything I've heard including many stax's.

I guess the points I didn't make in my previous post but was trying to make are that the K701's are a serious step backwards (from the k1000's k340s, k240s and so on). Regarding the K1000's high cost and limited availability, you're right. However I would never take a HD800 over an equally priced stax system. I would never pay 1499 for an HD800 or 300 for a K702 when I can have DT48's, for the same price etc. Finishing that point I'd be content with Dt48's and a good source if I didn't have the k1000's.

Oct 23, 2009 at 10:00 PM Post #28 of 48
I listened to them before they were dicontinued, and FOTM and I didn't like them. I wouldn't take them for 400 dollars. I think they have way too much treble, not nearly enough body to the sound. I even heard them on Frank Cooter's amp which people were saying was the best they ever heard them, and they do sound impressive with air and detail, but meh

Oct 23, 2009 at 10:02 PM Post #29 of 48
I'd love to see a Sextett successor (say that 20 times as fast as you can...) with more detailed, deeper-tighter bass, and more refined treble. That would be a killer headhone

Oct 24, 2009 at 2:46 AM Post #30 of 48
You need to hear a proper pair of K1000's. They do vary. I've owned both ends of the spectrum and one pair I had fit your description to a degree. The pair I currently own, and have always had (kept over the others I've tried), is more full bodied than anything I've heard and has no treble emphasis whatsoever. They are more lush than Edition 9's (compared side by side when I used to own them) which despite their countless flaws are the second most full bodied headphones I've heard. In two words the K1000's, of the right era, are rich and robust. I own a pair of k240dfs (not sextets but appear to be designed out of a similar engineering strategy) and they are nowhere near the k1000's. The only headphones that come close (that I own) are the DT48's which I will never part with. They have the speed and sound signature of the K1000's without the effortlessness, dynamic range, and soundstage (which for me is more of an added bonus than a definitive best characteristic).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back