QUESTION: PA2V2 hooked up to an E10???
Dec 24, 2011 at 5:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Jester69er

New Head-Fier
Hello All.

As the title says, has anyone tried hooking up a PA2V2 to an E10 via the E10 lineout option? If they have, any comments would most welcomed. I was thinking of getting the E10 for my laptop since the realtek chip sucks. Currently I have it setup with the PA2V2 amp and sounds improved but thought I should improving the source and get an external soundcard. I did some research and I came across this website which was selling the E10 and E11 as a bundle so I thought if that is what the online retailer is offering then hooking up my PA2V2 to the E10 should hopefully give some nice results. I want to pull the trigger next week so just wanted to hear some opinions on hooking up the PA2V2 to the E10 for my laptop which are hooked to the JBL Creature 2.1 speakers if that info would be needed. Thanks for any comments!!!

Sincerely,

Jester.

Dec 24, 2011 at 6:19 AM Post #2 of 7
You don't need the PA2V2 in between E10 and those JBL speaker. You should connect E10's line-out directly to the JBL to avoid double amping.

Dec 24, 2011 at 6:30 AM Post #3 of 7
Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I was wondering could you explain why would the retailer sell the E10 and E11 as a bundle? They clearly state that combining the E10 and E11 is suppose to produce better results. That would also be considered double amping right? However I also seen some people connecting a dac to an amp via a lineout. Any advantages of setting up the dac ro an amp?

Thanks.

Dec 24, 2011 at 6:42 AM Post #4 of 7
Connecting E10's line-out to E11 (then to a headphone) is not double amping, as E10 is not amping E11. It is just passing the line signal to E11, and E11 is the one that does the amping (of headphone)

It the the part where you connect PA2V2 to JBL that is double amping as JBL has an internal power amp of its own. So PA2V2 is sending an amped signal to JBL, which will be double amped by the internal power amp (which is amping the actual speaker units).

Dec 25, 2011 at 8:56 AM Post #6 of 7
E10's amp section is almost the same as E11's. You'd be better off using solely E10, and just use your PA2V2 for portable use or sell it. PA2V2 is only a little more "powerful" than E11 or E10 as an amp, but it's more coloured, or less accurate (as reviewed by people).

Dec 25, 2011 at 9:27 AM Post #7 of 7
Ah ok. Thanks for that info. I never thought of the JBL having its own amp. What about this then: E10 to PA2V2 to DENNON D2000 ? That should be fine, right?

E10's amp section is almost the same as E11's. You'd be better off using solely E10, and just use your PA2V2 for portable use or sell it. PA2V2 is only a little more "powerful" than E11 or E10 as an amp, but it's more coloured, or less accurate (as reviewed by people).

Not much point of putting PA2V2 between E10 and D2000, as all you add is a bit more coloration and a little better soundstage. At first listen, you might find PA2V2 to be pretty good addition to the setup because of its richer tone, but technically it doesn't drive the headphone better. This is easy noticeable if you A/B E10 with PA2V2 as some of the bass texture+impact and treble detail are missing. PA2V2 really has much less control than E10 as it also shows on the lack of speed when driving RE0.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back