Question for Stax experts.
Oct 16, 2009 at 2:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Markj

100+ Head-Fier
Elusivedisk.com has 10% of on Stax. Which combo should I get? SR 007 OMEGA2 MK2 / SRM-007T2 AMP COMBO $3798 or SR007 OMEGA2 MK2 / SRM-727 AMP combo $3676. Thanks. I would use it with Sony XA 5400 SACD player with balanced xlr out or XA 5400 xlr to Phonitor input thru xlr to Stax amp. I have to look if Sony is truly balanced.

Oct 16, 2009 at 3:41 AM Post #4 of 9
If you already know how they sound, then why ask us to tell you what your tastes are?
tongue.gif

It really does come down to nothing more than if you want tubes or not

Oct 16, 2009 at 5:14 AM Post #6 of 9
I heard both of these combos -- and spent a lot of time listening -- at Can Jam '08 in Florida. Stax had a room. I liked the 727 better, but that's just me.

Overall I loved the Stax sound. Love, love, love.

I bought a used 717 instead, and a used O2 as well, and am very happy. With the money I saved, I bought a used KGSS too! Then a used baby Orpheus, then a ... well never mind.

I can't imagine why you wouldn't buy used.

You will love the sound of Stax. Everyone says the aftermarket amps are better, but my ears are not good enough I guess. Between the KGSS and the 717 I don't think I could pass a blind test. I used to believe the KGSS was better, but that's most likely placebo. Of course there are better amps, I'm told.

Oct 16, 2009 at 6:46 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by wavoman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I heard both of these combos -- and spent a lot of time listening -- at Can Jam '08 in Florida. Stax had a room. I liked the 727 better, but that's just me.

Overall I loved the Stax sound. Love, love, love.

I bought a used 717 instead, and a used O2 as well, and am very happy. With the money I saved, I bought a used KGSS too! Then a used baby Orpheus, then a ... well never mind.

I can't imagine why you wouldn't buy used.

You will love the sound of Stax. Everyone says the aftermarket amps are better, but my ears are not good enough I guess. Between the KGSS and the 717 I don't think I could pass a blind test. I used to believe the KGSS was better, but that's most likely placebo. Of course there are better amps, I'm told.

As an owner of a 717 I would like to think it is close to the best but right now that title goes to the BHSE. Alas it is a limited production model and about $5,000.00!

But if you are not in that league, I agree buy used, a 717 and an 007 Mk1 or 2.

Oct 16, 2009 at 10:08 AM Post #8 of 9
50% off on used models from Head-fiers or Japan (kuboten.com) is a better discount.
wink.gif

Oct 16, 2009 at 11:01 AM Post #9 of 9
The 007 is a good amp but as the O2 really likes current, the 727 is generally the better amp. Also, I have heard the BHSE and would agree that it is a significant step over the STAX offerings and very tempting. I want to arrange a direct shootout with my 717 before I shell out $5K on an amp.

Also, most would consider the SRM-717 as the best STAX amp ever with the sole exception of the T2 which is almost impossible to find.

I would say that the Sony is most likely a truly balanced design but that you could use a MUCH better source with the STAX system as it will make good use of whatever you can throw at it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back