Question For Stax 009 & HD800 Fans Who Like Electronic Music
Nov 3, 2012 at 2:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

MetalPhoenix

New Head-Fier
I've been steadily upgrading my gear over the last several years. Currently, I'm running a Headroom Max into HD800s.

I went through several different upgrades on my way to the HD800s, with the previous step being the HD650s. Of course, both are awesome, but the HD800s are SO much more spectacular, that I have to ask: Is it worth making the leap to the Stax? (Or even the HE90?)

More about my preferences:

I like basically all styles of music (except for "those two" kinds: Country & Western). No offense to fans of country!

I'm a musician, and have recorded myself and others in the studio. I am not an audiophile, but I'm very particular about my gear. I don't really care what the specs are, or even the cost (within something close to reason). Great sound and comfort are my guides.

Over the past 5 or so years, I've been getting deeper into electronic music. I'm enjoying the process of watching it evolve, transform, and "speciate" as it goes. I listen mostly to 256k and 320k mp3s that I get on Beatport & iTunes.

The upgrade to the HD800s about a year ago was a pretty big deal. To me, they are like putting on 3D glasses for sound. The HD650s were already great (and still are), but these new HD800s were a quantum leap, to me. I turn up the deep bass, and tweak the treble curve back a little bit with EQ, to make them sound the way I prefer (I have no problem using an EQ - used them for years in the studio, and am not biased against a piece of gear if I have to EQ to make it sound the way I want).

These HD800s have a kick, a snap, a clarity, and a soundstage that are remarkable to me. Whenever I put them on the heads of friends, they open their eyes wide, and can't believe that this sound is coming out of headphones. I put them on my wife, recently (not a musician or audiophile), and she just closed her eyes and got lost in the music. She was astounded at the sound.

Recently, I narrowly passed up a chance to purchase Stax SR-009s with a tube amp. I had basically made the decision to buy them, then got busy, and didn't. A little voice in my head (or maybe it was coming from the headphones?) was telling me to that the HD800s are as good as it's going to get for the type of music I'm listening to.

One of the key decision points is that the reviews say that that the 009s don't have the dimensionality in the soundstage - which I find to be a really important part of the sound of these HD800s.

So you can see where I'm going here. Anyone have experience with these two headphones, and care to chime in with your experience?

I'm not going to buy a $10k SACD player and listen to master recordings of jazz and classical. That music is great, but my preference is going forward into the electronic music dimension - and re-visiting the classics occasionally (but not enough to rationalize all of the extra hassle of gear).

For about 80%-90% of my listening, it's a MacBook Pro & iTunes into whatever DAC>Amp>Headphones make my ears the happiest. And that's what I'd like to optimize for when making my headphone/amp decisions.

So, am I going to be glad that I invested ten grand to get into the next-level game? Or am I going to be saying: "the HD800s are better for what I'm listening to?" Thanks for your comments!

Nov 4, 2012 at 1:23 AM Post #2 of 5
You sound very happy with your HD800s, what are you looking to improve with the Stax?

Maybe dip your toe in the water first with something like the SRS 2170, before diving in feet first with the 009s to see if the electrostatic sound is for you?

I've only spent a small ammount of time listening to the HD800 at a meet, but I wasn't enamored with them, I prefered the lower end stax to the HD800. The electrostats sounded more like real instruments and voices to me the way a very expensive speaker set up does, in comparison I felt very aware that I was listening to music through headphones with the HD800. Again this was just my personal preference, others will probably disagree.

The 009s really were something else in terms of transparency, although I didn't think they were quite worth the price, when the lower end stax sounded so good. I'd be perfectly happy with the SRS4170 system as my end-game, stop upgrading, never ever, not even once again, I'll take them to my grave headphones.

Anyway, the best advice I can give to you is to simply audition before you buy anything, or if not possible and you want some responses from people who know more about this than me, you will probably get more and better responses on the summit-fi section of the forum.

Nov 4, 2012 at 4:38 AM Post #3 of 5
You like soundstage/dimensionality, are not allergic to EQ/DSP, possess some studio experience etc. Sounds like a candidate for Smyth Realiser to me.

Do you have experience with great speaker/studio monitor setups? You could have the same soundstage and imaging with your headphones. (Heh sounds like a shopping channel ad..)

Granted, I've haven't tried HD800's (or Staxes), but it's hard to imagine them getting close to the speaker like dimensionality that Realiser provides. Yeah it's $3k and a bit of a hassle to record some good speaker setups, but if interested search the forums..

Nov 4, 2012 at 9:57 AM Post #4 of 5
The issue with most electronic music is that the production simply doesn't warrant this level of resolution. There are a few albums that come to mind that are produced really well, but for the most part you're dealing with limited dynamic range, lousy samples, skewed tonal balance (usually overbright), and generally very basic mixing/mastering. If you don't mind hearing every wart in the recording, then electrostatics will do well, but I find that a more colored system actually adds to electronic music. Besides, nearly all of this stuff wasn't meant to be listened to on this sort of gear, and is mixed more for clubs and outdoor festival systems.

Regardless, I still use a 007 Mk1 for electronic music, though I also use it for everything including gaming and movies. I think 'stats will do a lot of things important to electronica really well - they'll especially impress with their ability to maintain resolution and dynamics no matter how busy or complicated the music gets. That's something that you don't get with dynamics, at least anywhere near to the same degree.

You will want the most massive amp you can find, though. I don't know about the 009, but on the 007 insufficient power really limits clarity and dynamics, and without clarity, dynamics and tactile impact a system can't do electronica at all.

I won't lie though, a well-produced album on a good 'stat rig is effing amazing. Listen to Spectral's "Diffuse" or Makyo's "Yakshini" - holy hell. Utter transparency and immersion.

Mar 24, 2013 at 5:01 PM Post #5 of 5
Wow - I posted this, and then promptly forgot about it - newbie here. Thanks for the great feedback, guys. I'm going to look into the Realiser...

Catscratch: Downloaded the Spectral album last night. AWESOME.

Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back