Question for knife-fi crew
May 13, 2007 at 12:02 AM Post #16 of 31
SOG tactical S11

I have two of these I love them so much. Had one for 10 years, it got lost so I bought another. Then my darling wife found the old one in the couch last month.

I love my wife
smily_headphones1.gif

These are great too!!! Flash assisted

May 13, 2007 at 3:47 PM Post #18 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaGG /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's my current knife:
http://www.kershawknives.com/productdetails.php?id=3

I've also had this one, which is basically a smaller version of the above:
http://www.kershawknives.com/productdetails.php?id=41

Both are spring loaded, stay sharp, and come in more use than I would have ever imagined before I started carrying one.

I have a leek as well, it's a great knife. They aren't spring loaded though, that would make it assisted opening which would be illegal. But I know what you mean, I think they call it a torsion bar, so that after you open a certain amount they blade snaps into place. Very nice indeed.

May 13, 2007 at 3:52 PM Post #19 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why a knife? Two reasons.

First is that they're pretty useful things. I use my knife every day at work for random small stuff, even though I work a desk job. Honestly, my Leatherman can handle every task I use my knife for, but it's a bit clumsier and much slower to deploy. Knives are generally a more elegant solution.

The other reason? Because I can.
evil_smiley.gif
This reason also explains why I've shifted to a larger knife rather than a more people friendly one. Aside from the fact that they're more useful of course. As for weight, well, if I'm already lugging around 4-5 lbs of stuff, a few more ounces ain't going to matter.

IMHO, self defense is a poor reason given that the majority of states allow you to use far more useful tools for that purpose. If I'm down to my knife in a self defense situation, it's going to be a very bad day. Sure, they're usable and quite effective with the proper training. (Teachable in 30 minutes or less.) But legally, knives for defense is a bad idea because using them as a deterrence greatly reduces their effectiveness, and they force you to close with your attacker in order to be usable. That's a bad thing, as it's far too easy for an opportunistic prosecutor to convince a jury that you were in a mutual combat situation.

My EDC package:

edcdb0.png

Minus cell, which is a Moto RAZR.

Horses for courses. You make the decisions that make you comfortable. I'll make my own.

The Heckler & Koch P7 has to be among my top 3/4 carry pieces: Glock 26, 1911, S&W 640.
biggrin.gif

May 13, 2007 at 5:40 PM Post #20 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by ywd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is a benchmark mini-pika, model 10410S.

benchmark? don't you mean benchmade
tongue.gif
Too much drooling over at the dac1 threads eh
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by senns&nonsense /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am being facetious, but I am also curious as to why you would want/need to carry these.....

not facetious at all
biggrin.gif
. I carry my knife to peel fruits, a little flashlight for dark evenings, and a plier because my hands are weak.

pics later...

May 13, 2007 at 6:44 PM Post #21 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by RotAtoR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a leek as well, it's a great knife. They aren't spring loaded though, that would make it assisted opening which would be illegal. But I know what you mean, I think they call it a torsion bar, so that after you open a certain amount they blade snaps into place. Very nice indeed.

Err...yeah, what he said
tongue.gif

May 13, 2007 at 8:54 PM Post #23 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by a shovel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
benchmark? don't you mean benchmade
tongue.gif
Too much drooling over at the dac1 threads eh
biggrin.gif

not facetious at all
biggrin.gif
. I carry my knife to peel fruits, a little flashlight for dark evenings, and a plier because my hands are weak.

pics later...

DACs, knives, same thing...

May 13, 2007 at 9:39 PM Post #24 of 31
The Mini Pika is a excellent EDC, it doesn't look threatening or weapon like to me however others may have a different opinion. I have several Microtech full automatics that are much more threatening or weapon like than the Pika. My EDC is also Benchmade Rukus, larger than the Pika but does everything I need it to do in a EDC such as cutting open boxes or rope whenever I need to.

The Kershaw Leek is also a excellent knife. It's small, thin and doesn't take up much space in your pocket. I have one in black finish and do like the assisted open feature.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Heckler & Koch P7 has to be among my top 3/4 carry pieces: Glock 26, 1911, S&W 640.
biggrin.gif

Agreed on the P7 or Glock 26 and along with the Glock 27, do like their compact form factor.

May 13, 2007 at 11:02 PM Post #25 of 31
that's no knoife...

this is a knoife

bayonets.jpg

(ok actually they are bayonets)

i used to carry my buck110 everywhere i went until the belt loop on the sheath broke now i carry a gerber ez out half serrated

May 13, 2007 at 11:52 PM Post #26 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif

The P7 is a fine carry weapon to be sure. If I could lay my hands on a Seecamp, that would be ideal to carry on the ankle. At the moment, my preferred ankle carry is a NAA Guardian .380 in an Alessi ankle holster.

380main.jpg

As for a sidearm, I rotate among the Sig P220 (which has been modified), the HK USP45 or the Glock 23. My personal favorite is the Sig.

May 15, 2007 at 1:56 AM Post #27 of 31
Quote:

the milky white ipod feels so left out
rolleyes.gif

http://photo.head-fi.org/data/500/stuff.png

Auto Striker? Very nice. Too bad they're "throw me in jail" worthy in Texas.

Quote:

biggrin.gif

Heh, close enough. My other CCW guns are a scandium framed 1911, and a Model 60 in .38 Special. I would replace the Model 60 with a .38 spl 640, but it has sentimental value now.

May 15, 2007 at 2:20 AM Post #28 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Auto Striker? Very nice. Too bad they're "throw me in jail" worthy in Texas.

Actually they are the throw me in jail type in every state.. Yea they are long-term "loan" from my cousin(along with an auto afo) who was army and no longer has any need for it.. whats he supposed to do with it, throw it away? Guess I'm going to jail
biggrin.gif

May 15, 2007 at 2:41 AM Post #29 of 31
Quote:

Actually they are the throw me in jail type in every state.. Yea they are long-term "loan" from my cousin(along with an auto afo) who was army and no longer has any need for it.. whats he supposed to do with it, throw it away? Guess I'm going to jail
biggrin.gif

Nah, they're fine in several states.

Still not legal for either of us though. Too bad. I got to play with a Benchmite II Auto, and it's a much better knife than the manually operated version.

May 27, 2007 at 8:54 PM Post #30 of 31
IMHO, everything is a weapon - but as far as knives go I'd advise you to get a bigger knife if you ever intend to use it as a weapon, somewhere around 4". If you'd like, you can visit bladeforums.com, the group there is very helpful. Cheers. Sincerely, Jesse Peters.Submit Reply

Users who are viewing this thread

Back