Question for knife-fi crew
May 12, 2007 at 4:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

ywd

100+ Head-Fier
Does this look too threatening or weapon-like to anyone? Also, does anyone have any opinions of wheather or not this knife was a good choice and will last me? It is a benchmark mini-pika, model 10410S.

051207120805tr3.jpg

051207120825ri7.jpg

051207120635ox0.jpg

May 12, 2007 at 5:54 PM Post #2 of 31
Pretty much every lockback folder looks like a weapon to someone. I wouldn't worry about it too much. I wouldn't be too worried about it. Then again, my usual EDC is a Benchmade Rukus, so I'm probably not the best source for advice on this.

Some places, (schools, workplaces, states, countries, etc) have technical definitions for weapons though, so make sure you don't run afoul of those.

As for the knife, it's a pretty decent knife from all accounts. If you hadn't bought it, I would have likely recommended a Spyderco Centofante or Benchmade Griptilian, but both of those are a bit more pricey (read: double the price).

May 12, 2007 at 5:55 PM Post #3 of 31
General rule of thumb: If it has a black handle, it screams "tactical killing knife" and will appear threatening to the general public.

Ideally, you want something more like this.

May 12, 2007 at 6:04 PM Post #4 of 31
True story, I had to go through a metal detector to vote at the last election. I saw the detector and instead of bolting out, I went to the security guy and stated I have a knife on me.
The person yelled "knife!" to her supervisor and she stated it would be held until I finish voting. No big deal and they made sure I got it back when I went out.
I think it was not a big deal because it was a Benchmade Mini Griptillian with a BRIGHT yellow handle. I like these pastel colored mini grips so much I'm getting a blue one next.
Usually any knife with a black handle and a black blade would appear threatening.
The only other non-threatening knife would be a swiss army type.

May 12, 2007 at 6:24 PM Post #6 of 31
I haven't had any problems with mine really. I've had a few places tell me not to bring it in [i.e. car shows, concerts], but those are places you don't really need to have them anyways. I agree with the black handle thing, as well.

Here's my current knife:
http://www.kershawknives.com/productdetails.php?id=3

I've also had this one, which is basically a smaller version of the above:
http://www.kershawknives.com/productdetails.php?id=41

Both are spring loaded, stay sharp, and come in more use than I would have ever imagined before I started carrying one.

May 12, 2007 at 7:43 PM Post #9 of 31
f66.jpg

May 12, 2007 at 7:58 PM Post #10 of 31
What is the purpose of carrying around these knives on a daily basis? Protection? Then yeah, it looks like a weapon. In case you find yourself spontaneously hunting? If someone randomly challenges you to julienne a zuchini?

I am being facetious, but I am also curious as to why you would want/need to carry these.....

May 12, 2007 at 8:14 PM Post #11 of 31
I work part time as a construction consultant.
It's not uncommon to see many in the field with a knife, tape rule and flashlight on their belt. (and a note pad in their pocket)
Most have a leatherman and a mag light on their belt.

oh yeah, the self defense thing, well let's just say I don't want to get into a knife fight.
Knife fights are messy and chances are I would be the one who get's injured.

May 12, 2007 at 8:28 PM Post #12 of 31
Doesn't look scary to me.

I have been a knife nut for many, many years now. Of all the knives I have owned, this one is by far my favorite for EDC:

C11PGYW_L.jpg

Brilliant little knife.

Very lightweight - I don't even feel it clipped in my pocket.

The wave feature works a treat and deploys the blade (single handed) faster than any other knife on the market. Much faster than any assisted opener or automatic knife. It is like pulling a fixed blade knife out of your freakin' pocket. LOL

Good stuff.

May 12, 2007 at 8:32 PM Post #13 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by senns&nonsense /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is the purpose of carrying around these knives on a daily basis? Protection? Then yeah, it looks like a weapon. In case you find yourself spontaneously hunting? If someone randomly challenges you to julienne a zuchini?

I am being facetious, but I am also curious as to why you would want/need to carry these.....

I use my knife at least 2 to 3 times per day, every day, for various utility reasons. I feel naked without it. I don't carry it for self defense, but If my life were in danger, and I had absolutely no other option then yeah, it would work pretty well for self defense since it can be drawn with one hand, and the blade is deployed lightning fast. But that would be the absolute last thing I would ever cosider using a knife for. The only way I would ever pull a knife for self defense is if I felt so threatened that I would be dead if I didn't.

May 12, 2007 at 9:28 PM Post #14 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by senns&nonsense /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Why a knife? Two reasons.

First is that they're pretty useful things. I use my knife every day at work for random small stuff, even though I work a desk job. Honestly, my Leatherman can handle every task I use my knife for, but it's a bit clumsier and much slower to deploy. Knives are generally a more elegant solution.

The other reason? Because I can.
evil_smiley.gif
This reason also explains why I've shifted to a larger knife rather than a more people friendly one. Aside from the fact that they're more useful of course. As for weight, well, if I'm already lugging around 4-5 lbs of stuff, a few more ounces ain't going to matter.

IMHO, self defense is a poor reason given that the majority of states allow you to use far more useful tools for that purpose. If I'm down to my knife in a self defense situation, it's going to be a very bad day. Sure, they're usable and quite effective with the proper training. (Teachable in 30 minutes or less.) But legally, knives for defense is a bad idea because using them as a deterrence greatly reduces their effectiveness, and they force you to close with your attacker in order to be usable. That's a bad thing, as it's far too easy for an opportunistic prosecutor to convince a jury that you were in a mutual combat situation.

My EDC package:

edcdb0.png

Minus cell, which is a Moto RAZR.

Horses for courses. You make the decisions that make you comfortable. I'll make my own.

May 12, 2007 at 10:14 PM Post #15 of 31
Quote:

Imilhan pretty much summed it up. It is much easier to carry a knife with you than carrying scissors and a utility razor to cut boxes open, blister packs, CD wrappers and other jobs that knives excel in. I don't use it every day, but I use it enough to have it with me.

I have no training to use my knife for self defense, so I would probably do more harm than good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back