Question: Can I transport Alcohol on a plane as a minor?
Sep 14, 2008 at 10:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

jumpinjohn1234

500+ Head-Fier
So I'm 19, not 21 (which sucks). I have a bottle of patron silver and a bottle of wine that I want to transport it from SFO (san francisco) to LAX (los angeles). The wine is a present and the patron is mine
wink.gif
. Im curious to know if I can get away with bringing alcohol - of course Im checking it in with my luggage.

So I heard when they screen luggage: they dont show the age or info of the person traveling. (remember this is check in, not carry on)

If I do get caught, I know its illegal to posses it under 21, I'll probably get it confiscated and....hopefully a slap on the wrist and told not to do it again?

thoughts? thanks

Sep 14, 2008 at 10:24 PM Post #2 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by jumpinjohn1234 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I do get caught, I know its illegal to posses it under 21, I'll probably get it confiscated and....hopefully a slap on the wrist and told not to do it again?

thoughts? thanks

I think you answered your own question there.
wink.gif

Sep 14, 2008 at 10:40 PM Post #3 of 32
first of all, as an underraged teen you are not allowed to be in possession of alcohol, even unopened.

second of all, it's never too early to learn there are much better tequilas for the money than Patron. You've been had.
wink.gif

Sep 15, 2008 at 1:24 AM Post #6 of 32
my bad, I meant person under 21, but it feels liek you're still a minor until you hit 21....

We'll i doubt they'll find it, Im sure they got other bigger things to worry about. I dont think they know who's luggage they're screening anyway when I check it in. And I figured Id wrap the goods in gfit wrap paper- "Oh Im sorry sir, my mommy gave me this present to give to uncle sammy, I had no idea what was in it
beerchug.gif
"

Sep 15, 2008 at 1:30 AM Post #7 of 32
Alcohol can be found in luggage fairly easy with an airport K-9 team, etc. The only time I would see them looking for this is if your flight was an international flight and involved customs.

Sep 15, 2008 at 1:56 AM Post #8 of 32
Well, tell us the story of how you get owned after you try pulling this one off.
tongue.gif

Sep 15, 2008 at 2:01 AM Post #9 of 32
Ah, you'll be fine. There are many things the government does to us that are legal but still unethical. So what you are doing is illegal, but who cares. Pretend you're in covert operations. Just don't blend the Patron with sour mix. That is a crime. And I'll catch you.

Sep 15, 2008 at 2:41 AM Post #11 of 32
I don't know what things are like now, but I have carried alcohol as a minor. When I was 17, coming back from Germany to Australia I had a bottle of something and I just told customs I had it and it was a gift. I don't think customs mind as long as the quantity is under the allowed amount (which applies to everyone, it's a litre or two IIRC). Worst customs could do is confiscate it, I reckon.

Sep 15, 2008 at 2:50 AM Post #12 of 32
No, you can't transport alcohol if you are underage. Why not fly to Canada? Most likely 19 is the legal age in most provinces. I doublt that if its in your luggage anyone will care. Pack it well. I suspect that you'll have no problem.

Maybe you should wear a fake moustache. Look older, more mature. Nah! That might get you into more trouble.

I wouldn't worry about it. Stow the hooch in your suitcase. No one will care.

If you aspire to such occupations as teacher, policeman, President of the USA, you might want to make sure that you don't get caught underage drinking or break any law for that matter. Of course there are exceptions.

Cheers!

Sep 15, 2008 at 4:04 AM Post #13 of 32
You'll probably get away with it, but why take the risk. No one would have cared 10 years ago, but now airline security is highly political these days. Meaning, someone caught in violation of federal/state law will likely be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. TSA will place a notch on their belt under Terrorist Prevention to pad their numbers which will aid any budget increase they tend to ask for.

NEWS: "Airline terrorist attempts are down. Over 5 violations this month were thwarted via TSA screening processes."
confused_face.gif

The news organization negates to mention that those numbers include taking bottled milk from a nursing mother, roughing up a suspicious looking grandma, and jacking up some kid with pre-alcoholism issues.

All you wanted was a drink, but now you're on a terrorist watch list for the rest of your life and will fly no more via public air transportation. Like I said earlier, stay away from these political dragnets. Just buy a bottle of Jagermeister at your local Quickie Mart when you return.

Sep 15, 2008 at 4:14 AM Post #14 of 32
I do this all the time when returning from the US to Cayman. But of course I'm not exactly a minor (will be 46 very soon, my how time flies). You just have to make sure that the bottle is well protected. In my case, I bury it in the middle of the suitcase among my clothes. Plus, my suitcase is hardcase type.

Blasted liquor prices in Cayman include a 40% import duty! So what I do is buy a 1.75 liter bottle of Baileys at the duty free departure lounge in Cayman for dirt cheap (cheaper than the US, only $27) and carry it on the plane with me. Then on the way back to Cayman, it goes in my suitcase in the cardboard packaging and wrapped in clothes.

My little export-reimport game saves a lot of money! Since I travel so often, I've managed to build up a pretty nice duty free liquor cabinet. Nothing but the Balieys ever needs to be replaced unless I do a movie night with friends, in which case we go through lots of rum and vodka as well for the mudslides.

Sep 15, 2008 at 4:24 AM Post #15 of 32
Blimey Usagi are you a conspiracy theorist or something?! lol

Anyway personally I'd go for it - but then I'm a Brit who isn't used to being patronised by my government (well not quite as much anyway!), and I've been drinking responsibly for a long time.

Having said that, the law's the law if somebody feels like enforcing it, so you should do your own research and make up your own mind as to whether you think it's worth the risk, or indeed any risk at all.

Tons of info HERE
wink.gif

.:EDIT:. mmMMMMmm .... mudslides
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back